• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vet? Help? Questions?

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
OK, so i'm taking Sunni (cockatiel) to the vet sometime soon for a check up and because I'm concerned about his wing. I need help finding a good vet in south west Missouri, any recommendations? I'm considering the James River Animal hospital, because they treat birds and have good reviews but I can't find any good avian specialized vets. I have NO EXPERIENCE whatsoever with vets, this is Sunni's first visit and I'm gonna need lots of help.
First, I would like to know what I'm looking for.
Do vets do check ups or do I need to ask them specifically for certain tests?
What tests do I need to ask for?
What should I tell them and ask?
I told you I have no idea what I'm doing so sorry for all the questions.
Are there common diseases I should check for?
Poop test?
How much does this cost?
I apologise again for my ignorance, I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing. Any and all information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Last edited:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Just tell them the details of any concerns you have, answer their questions, and they will tell you their plan of action. A good vet should be willing to do checkups, even if you don't have a specific concern.

A good vet will answer any questions you have. A good vet will also admit if they don't have an answer for you.

And remember that if you don't feel satisfied with the care provided for any reason, you have every right to seek out another opinion.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Once you get some names of clinics/AV’s maybe call about and ask them some of these questions, from my experience clinics that really do care about the animals, people and clinic atmosphere will have staff who are willing to run you through what happens and answer many of your questions regarding first visits. I rang every AV that I could find in my state (and a few vets the next state over) and got a feel for which clinic would best suit my needs and I haven’t been disappointed yet.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Just tell them the details of any concerns you have, answer their questions, and they will tell you their plan of action. A good vet should be willing to do checkups, even if you don't have a specific concern.

A good vet will answer any questions you have. A good vet will also admit if they don't have an answer for you.

And remember that if you don't feel satisfied with the care provided for any reason, you have every right to seek out another opinion.
Thanks, that helps.
Once you get some names of clinics/AV’s maybe call about and ask them some of these questions, from my experience clinics that really do care about the animals, people and clinic atmosphere will have staff who are willing to run you through what happens and answer many of your questions regarding first visits. I rang every AV that I could find in my state (and a few vets the next state over) and got a feel for which clinic would best suit my needs and I haven’t been disappointed yet.
OK, I'll ask around. Do you know what I should be planning for in cost? Like, are we talking $100, $500, or $20??? I understand that it will vary, but what would you guess it would come to?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I asked the vets their basic check up fees. They’re all different so it’s but really something I can guess for you.

My last visit Burt got the general visual and hands on health check up, bloods done for a few things, leg band removed, microchip implanted, poop and crop swabbed, nails tidied up. That cost me approx $500.

Edited to add a few things I had forgotten to add.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I asked the vets their basic check up fees. They’re all different so it’s but really something I can guess for you.

My last visit Burt got the general visual and hands on health check up, bloods done for a few things, leg band removed, microchip implanted, poop checked, nails tidied up. That cost me approx $500.
Thanks, does the price change with the size-species of bird?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Not at the clinic I use.

They actually joked about the fact that I should have got a discount as Burt was less trouble for them to handle and vet than the smaller bird in before him who screamed the whole time and bit a few of them :roflmao:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Most vets work on a building block system. Meaning that there are certain tests that give them guidance as to what to focus on or do additional tests for. This is sort of the pattern for a new bird exam (may vary from vet to vet or bird to bird).
The vet will observe your bird before getting him out of his carrier.
Then he will get him out and do a thorough external physical examination.
He will take swabs of the cloaca and choana to put on a slide and stain and look at under a microscope.
Then he may take blood to send to a laboratory for a coplete blood count (CBC ) and a Chem panel. These two tests give a lot of information about your bird and potential problems or diseases.
$300 - $500 so far.
Any additional tests depends on what the vet has found so far.

Here is a excellent explanation of which tests are available and what the test will expose.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Most vets work on a building block system. Meaning that there are certain tests that give them guidance as to what to focus on or do additional tests for. This is sort of the pattern for a new bird exam (may vary from vet to vet or bird to bird).
The vet will observe your bird before getting him out of his carrier.
Then he will get him out and do a thorough external physical examination.
He will take swabs of the cloaca and choana to put on a slide and stain and look at under a microscope.
Then he may take blood to send to a laboratory for a coplete blood count (CBC ) and a Chem panel. These two tests give a lot of information about your bird and potential problems or diseases.
$300 - $500 so far.
Any additional tests depends on what the vet has found so far.

Here is a excellent explanation of which tests are available and what the test will expose.
Thanks! That's really helpful.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would ask them how many birds they actually see. The first vet I went to said he treated birds- basically meaning he would- not that he really did- at least to a large degree. I was very unhappy with the vet visit. My current vet, who I love, isn't avian certified either but he sees a lot of birds. Pre-Covid, almost everytime I was there, there were other birds there waiting to be seen. So, a vet doesn't have to be avian certified to be good but they need to see birds regularly. And price does vary by location. Just for an idea, my vet charges $70 for a basis exam, and that includes a nail trim if you want one, and then any testing is on top of that. Like I think a gram stain is another $30.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I would ask them how many birds they actually see. The first vet I went to said he treated birds- basically meaning he would- not that he really did- at least to a large degree. I was very unhappy with the vet visit. My current vet, who I love, isn't avian certified either but he sees a lot of birds. Pre-Covid, almost everytime I was there, there were other birds there waiting to be seen. So, a vet doesn't have to be avian certified to be good but they need to see birds regularly. And price does vary by location. Just for an idea, my vet charges $70 for a basis exam, and that includes a nail trim if you want one, and then any testing is on top of that. Like I think a gram stain is another $30.
Ok, Good to know. Wait, what's a gram stain?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Ok, Good to know. Wait, what's a gram stain?

"Gram Stains Gram staining is an important means of determining the character of the bacterial population in the droppings, but it is only a screening tool. In general most bacteria can be differentiated by their Gram staining characteristics, bacteria that take up the “positive” blue stain are called Gram-positive and those that take up the “negative” red stain are called Gram-negative. There are some groups of bacteria that do not take up the Gram stain and require special staining techniques (such as acid fast bacteria-which cause tuberculosis)."

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
"Gram Stains Gram staining is an important means of determining the character of the bacterial population in the droppings, but it is only a screening tool. In general most bacteria can be differentiated by their Gram staining characteristics, bacteria that take up the “positive” blue stain are called Gram-positive and those that take up the “negative” red stain are called Gram-negative. There are some groups of bacteria that do not take up the Gram stain and require special staining techniques (such as acid fast bacteria-which cause tuberculosis)."
Thank you, that answers my question.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Yay, I found a good vet that treats birds and does so often, I was about to call, then I found a coupon to get an exam free. :laugh-bounce: Then I'll do the gram stain which is only $15. This vet has really good reviews, I'll be making an appointment. :bliss:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Well, it will be $15 plus the exam fee. Vets aren't like a hot dog stand where you walk up and order one hot dog and one Coke.

The gram stains will not tell you is your bird has a high white count, or liver issues or heart problems and many other illnesses.

For an annual exam, I always get the physical exam. swabs and stains and CBC and Chem panel - to start with. Then if there are indications of issues, I get what ever the vet recommends.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I apologise again for my ignorance,
No need to do this.

Going to an avian vet with the Coved virus is different from what we are used to. Most vets ask you to park in the lot and they will come out and get your bird. You are not invited in which I think is important. I would have a list of questions, description of what is going on with your bird and ask the vet to call you when fiished the exam so you can get some first hand feedback.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Well, it will be $15 plus the exam fee. Vets aren't like a hot dog stand where you walk up and order one hot dog and one Coke.

The gram stains will not tell you is your bird has a high white count, or liver issues or heart problems and many other illnesses.

For an annual exam, I always get the physical exam. swabs and stains and CBC and Chem panel - to start with. Then if there are indications of issues, I get what ever the vet recommends.
Yeah, I didn't word my previous post very well. I meant they were doing the initial physical exam without charge, And I would be paying for the stain and whatever else the vet recommends. On the phone that's what was recommended to do, Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, I don't have experience and am just doing what the vet said. Thanks!

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
No need to do this.

Going to an avian vet with the Coved virus is different from what we are used to. Most vets ask you to park in the lot and they will come out and get your bird. You are not invited in which I think is important. I would have a list of questions, description of what is going on with your bird and ask the vet to call you when fiished the exam so you can get some first hand feedback.
Good Idea, I hadn't considered this.