• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Very timid Linnie

PatLaverty

Moving in
Hello everyone,
I am new to this site, and here is my first question, I really hope you can help.
I have a wonderful GC conure, Pippin, who is on my shoulder most of the day. I also have 2 budgies, who are out of the cage all day and will sit on my han for millet, other than that, they do their own thing.
I have recently got a linnie, 4 weeks ago. She, Lulu, is 11 months old. She had been picked on by her sister, but has settled in very well with my birds.
I would love to have her sit on my hand, but she is very timid.
Do I train her in a separate room, away from the others? or, if i am patient and persistent, will she become hand tame?
I have attached a pic. of her.
Many thanks for any help.
Pat.

Attachments

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's gorgeous! What a pretty girl she is.

Linnies are well known to be handshy and nervous of hands. I had a Linnie from a chain pet store so I highly doubt he was well socialized to humans so he was scared of hands from the get go but happily had a lot of curiosity about me and was always following me around the cage and interacting with me through the bars.

The only time he'd let me touch him willingly was when he'd flutter off his cage and I'd use the opportunity to take him in the shower and spend some time with him away from his cage and at that point he'd act tame as could be and would happily step up on my finger and crawl all over me happy as you please
20221015_172703.jpg

I had to sadly rehome him a few months ago when I developed severe allergies to him so now he lives with @Mizzely . She hasn't been able to get him to step up or want to be touched by he's living his best life getting to come out and fly around for hours.
I'll tag @Dona and @NorthernGannet who I know have tame Linnies
That's the one "unfortunate" thing about Linnies as a species is its just so hard for so many of them to overcome their hands fears.

PatLaverty

Moving in
Aww, thank you. I of course think she's very pretty too!

I'll give the shower a try in a few more weeks, thanks for the idea.

He's a handsome chap with center parting after his shower! :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Bosco has been here for almost 4 months now and is definitely still very timid with me. I just try to enrich his life on other ways :) Good food, flying time, lots of toys, and the space he wants right now!

IMG_20230708_144452_735.jpg

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! Lulu is a beauty! And your flock sounds so sweet!

I got Gigi as a well socialized hand fed baby. I was told by the breeder to have her step up multiple times each day to practice and maintain that skill. We did that and gradually she became less and less willing. She is now 5 and is extremely fond of me and the family. She spends lots of time on my shoulder or lap each day. She flies over to visit my husband and grandchildren if they are nearby. But she doesn't like hands. She will step up only when in a strange situation, at the vet, in the bathroom for a shower or if she ends up accidentally on the floor. Other wise if I offer my hand she will either fly away or charge and considering biting me. She has never taken food from my hand either! So I keep my hands to myself. This is my first hand shy bird and it's strange but we've learned to adapt and do not expect it to change.

I think it might be a good idea to spend time with her alone. I carry Gigi to the bathroom on her play gym. Does Lulu land anywhere that is portable and you could carry her away? So you don't have to start your session with her unhappy at being touched? Then could you just sit nearby, perhaps entice her onto your shoulder or lap with a treat balanced there? Or eat something yourself? Gigi can't resist coming over to see what I'm eating. Rice cakes with jelly are our favorite shared snack.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign: to the site :cool:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Linnies are strong flock birds and do well with a cage mate.

PatLaverty

Moving in
Welcome! Lulu is a beauty! And your flock sounds so sweet!

I got Gigi as a well socialized hand fed baby. I was told by the breeder to have her step up multiple times each day to practice and maintain that skill. We did that and gradually she became less and less willing. She is now 5 and is extremely fond of me and the family. She spends lots of time on my shoulder or lap each day. She flies over to visit my husband and grandchildren if they are nearby. But she doesn't like hands. She will step up only when in a strange situation, at the vet, in the bathroom for a shower or if she ends up accidentally on the floor. Other wise if I offer my hand she will either fly away or charge and considering biting me. She has never taken food from my hand either! So I keep my hands to myself. This is my first hand shy bird and it's strange but we've learned to adapt and do not expect it to change.

I think it might be a good idea to spend time with her alone. I carry Gigi to the bathroom on her play gym. Does Lulu land anywhere that is portable and you could carry her away? So you don't have to start your session with her unhappy at being touched? Then could you just sit nearby, perhaps entice her onto your shoulder or lap with a treat balanced there? Or eat something yourself? Gigi can't resist coming over to see what I'm eating. Rice cakes with jelly are our favorite shared snack.
Thank you. I will try and get her on her own, and spend some time with her away from the other birds. She is very skittish and flys away if I get near, so I will have to hatch a cunning plan!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you go to the web page of the Linnie association on a pull down at top they list the reputa breeders. That is how I found mine.