• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

VERY itchy Molt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Emma doesn't look like she's molting but it seems like she is. :huh:
I've never seen her so itchy. I gave her a shower on Friday and she loved it. :heart:

Regarding the itchiness, she'll bend her head and ask me to scratch her head. I've gotten bitten a few times this weekend because I may have hit a few sensitive spots. No sooner that I pull my hand away, she'll bend her head and ask for another scratch and then bite me again. The cycle repeats itself until,, I just say "forget it, I don't want to be bitten anymore".
What else can I do to comfort my girlie please?

I don't know if this molt has something to do with her "change" in behaviour lately.:huh:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Hmm, can you see her skin at all? Does it look irritated or extra red in any spots? Perhaps some aloe vera added to a spray model for a nice mist would help?

Jadie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jade
Pollys nickname right now is Spike, he's in a heavy moult and boy he looks crazy and sooo uncomfortable! He has practically no feathers on his head, all pins! H wants to be scratched too but it must hurt too bad:(.
I know you can do a mixture of Aloe(liquid not the gel) and water and spray them..it soothes the itching a bit.
I would also like to see what others suggest. Poor Emma and poor mama saemma for taking those bites! I know it's a grey thing to bluff (ask for scratches then turn around and bite). Does she never do that normally?

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Jadie. Emma is not conniving at all when it comes to bites. :heart:
She really wants the scritches.. but I guess I'm just not doing it right these days.:o:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Lotus.. must look about purchasing Aloe.

Does it make their feathers sticky?:huh:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Thanks Lotus.. must look about purchasing Aloe.

Does it make their feathers sticky?:huh:
I've used the AviX "Rain" one by the same company that manufactures Harrison's pellets, and no, it left no sort of residue at all, and it wasn't scented either. I also have the one by Avitec but seem to have misplaced it :huh: But I know a lot of people who swear by aloe and use it regularly with no complaints. I would use it more often is my birds didn't HATE being sprayed!

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
Emma doesn't look like she's molting but it seems like she is. :huh:
I've never seen her so itchy. I gave her a shower on Friday and she loved it. :heart:

Regarding the itchiness, she'll bend her head and ask me to scratch her head. I've gotten bitten a few times this weekend because I may have hit a few sensitive spots. No sooner that I pull my hand away, she'll bend her head and ask for another scratch and then bite me again. The cycle repeats itself until,, I just say "forget it, I don't want to be bitten anymore".
What else can I do to comfort my girlie please?

I don't know if this molt has something to do with her "change" in behaviour lately.:huh:

wow Rosie is doing the same thing, I wish I new what is going on.:(

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Magni, I think it's just that time of the year.:D

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
Shiloh is very itchy now too, but he doesn't try to bite when I scratch him, he just wants more and more. Sometimes when Shiloh bluffs it's when he raises his foot and making me think he wants to step up then he goes for the finger, when I don't react, most of the time he just grabs it and lets go. But someitmes he catches me by surprise and I jump and move my hand back quickly, so he thinks it's fun :hehe:
Lots of baths do help, I've never tried the aloe, think I will try that.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Robin. :)

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I have to use distilled water in Rocky's spray bottle :eek:
She was getting itchier and itchier with reg. tap water.
Everything's good now with the distilled. :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oooh.:huh: I will keep an eye and see what happens.:)

shellbeme

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shelly
I really think greys do well to have a humidifier going, yes even this time of year! I think it was Mercedez who recommended I keep ours running all year round for Chico, and I think it's a great idea. Alot of people mix aloe with water when they bathe their birds-or like someone already suggested, harrison's also offers some bottled sprays-I'd trust those over any other.

If she's sensative and itchy, that could be why she's acting grumpy. When Chico goes through a heavy molt, he's a tad sensative. (Often nicknamed 'Princess' durring these times. :D )

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A humidifier all year round? Even in the spring and summer?:huh: Do people in warm climates use a humidifier all year round. I don't mean the hot and humid climates like Florida. More like the ones in SoCal, Arizona, etc...:p

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
my humidifier runs almost year round because of the heat and a/c - they dry out the air, even here where it feels like a wet blanket outside even in the winter

for a short time in the spring and fall, when I can open windows, is the only time it's not running

I keep a hygrometer next to Boogie's cage so I can monitor the humidity

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Gg.:p

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
I too think increasing the baths will help, I'd rather not add anything to the shower other than water. If you have time try increasing the amount of shower time. I believe this will work.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.