• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Very fussy eater

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
1 of my birds, Is a Senegal, (Sweetie) she is a very fussy eater. I used to buy Goldenfeast Conure blend, But the price has jumped up to quite alot, and out of that blend, she would only eat some of it. She will not eat any pellets at all, Oh I have tried many, Many times, She refuses ! And gets insulted , when I keep putting them in 1 of her dishes. Sweetie loves Almonds walnuts, cashews, I need suggestions on what seed mix , I can try on her, That has the nuts I listed

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
The best pellet for your bird is the pellet she will eat, including zupreme fruit pellets. Have you tried the the more delicious looking ones?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Possibly one of Hari/Hagen's Tropimix varieties might fit the bill.

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
She will not eat pellets at all, I have tried tropicmix, Harrasons, and Roudybush, she flatly refuses pellets, I need to get her a good seed mix with nuts, and fruits

Karearea

Meeting neighbors
She will not eat pellets at all, I have tried tropicmix, Harrasons, and Roudybush, she flatly refuses pellets, I need to get her a good seed mix with nuts, and fruits
Maybe you could try out some birdie bread recipes? I've known plenty of people with picky birds who successfully got 'em onto pellets through the use of birdie bread. Essentially it's a bread-like substance that uses pellets and other assorted foods which are totally safe for your bird - there are a ton of recipes in the Feathered Food Court section!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The Tropimix for larger birds has a lot of the nuts you were asking for which is why I suggested it :)

My Jardine's is a picky eater too. I've tried for 3 years to get him to eat better and the only things he will eat 100% of the time are:

Zupreem Fruity Parrot & Conure (no other size!)
Harrison's Mash
Almonds

You could make your own mix here: Create Your Own Mix

I don't buy mixes anymore as with picky birds it creates SO MUCH waste, so I'm sadly out of the loop on what all is available anymore.

What about Nutriberries?

SunTruth

Sprinting down the street
I am in the same situation. My senegal absolutely do not want to eat pellets, and I tried harrison (the medium and large size), zupreem nature, and hagen tropican (4mm).

The only thing he eats is hagen tropimix (I only tried the large size) but I am not sure it can really be considered as pellet.

What I give him everyday:
- one bowl where I mix tropimix + tropican
- another bowl with only tropican
- another bowl with fruits and vegetables.

And I give him almond once or twice a day.

This pellet issue is lasting for 6 months now and I just hope that by mixing tropimix and tropican he will eat some tropican pellets. But he is a picky eater for his food while he always want to eat what I eat (apart from his pellets of course I tried to eat some in front of him). Also I noticed his tastes changes a lot from one day to another: he used to love nuttriberries now he does not care. He uses to love apple, then orange…

Honestly I do not know if someday it will work but still I go on proposing tropican every day.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
You might give oven baked bites by all living thi games a try. Decent Ingredients and all of mine including the budgies are willing to eat it.