• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

UVB lights

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Hi this post is about 2 lovebirds babies, ages 4 and 5 weeks.

I have a tortoise and he uses a UBV light for his shell. It mimics sun (although nothing can replace that) and provides minimal heat. I noticed that when I put the light on, they would stretch for it. So I started slow and started to share the light, supervised and to my surprise, they were underneath it and the little one that was just barely standing, was standing tall. They seem to love it! I am not giving them sunlight yet, they are still in a brooding tank but could they benefit from this lamp for 1-2 hours a day? They seem to really love it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am going to say it depends, mostly on how close to the light your birds are, and if you are actually using it for D3.

I do use UVB for my leopard gecko. However, I do not use it for my bird. The biggest reason is because of possible eye damage at the height required for beneficial amounts of UVB.

Here's my article on it: Vitamin D3 for Our Birds

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I am going to say it depends, mostly on how close to the light your birds are, and if you are actually using it for D3.

I do use UVB for my leopard gecko. However, I do not use it for my bird. The biggest reason is because of possible eye damage at the height required for beneficial amounts of UVB.

Here's my article on it: Vitamin D3 for Our Birds
It’s was pretty close cus they were in a homemade brooder, a little plastic storage container. I had a basic mesh cover for a 10 gallon glass tank and laid the light on it in a corner they don’t usually use. Supervised, and checked to make sure nothing is heating up, but these lights aren’t heat producing, you can just pick them up with your hand. You have reptiles so you know. Now they graduated to the 10 gallon tank which gives them room to stretch, flap, and attempt to climb the sides. There is more room between them and the light. I was worried about the eyes. That’s my main concern cus I thought she was a lutino and her eyes would be more sensitive

Thank you so much, soon enough, they can get sunlight through a window or can go into an outdoor carrier. Slowly as they build their confidence. Right now, they run to me and hide if they hear my husbands phone alarm, such babies.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:needpics:

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Pics of the UV light? Or the birds?b :ummmm: :D
Headed to a pick up a few birdie things, will send. It’s the most basic uvb light, haha I know that’s not a lot of info. I think I’m just going to get a little carrier now and let them get used to it. Since they have literally never had a treat in their life, I’m hoping that could be positive association with being outside in their carrier. Any suggestions? I’m on a budget since I haven’t had birds in a while, I’m starting over. I have about $30 for a good but inexpensive carrier so they can walk with me and the tortoise

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Headed to a pick up a few birdie things, will send. It’s the most basic uvb light, haha I know that’s not a lot of info. I think I’m just going to get a little carrier now and let them get used to it. Since they have literally never had a treat in their life, I’m hoping that could be positive association with being outside in their carrier. Any suggestions? I’m on a budget since I haven’t had birds in a while, I’m starting over. It’s already been a few hundred dollars. I have about $30 for a good but inexpensive carrier so they can walk with me and the tortoise.
1st pic is about 4 days ago, the other 2 are today. She is so funny looking. I love them so much

Attachments