• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

UV Light/Fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
Hello

I have a UV light socket above the cages with a 60watt UV bulb but it is probably a good 4 feet or more from the cages and only about 3 feet away from the net which is above the cages, which they play on every day for at least an hour or more. Is this too far away and should I get an additional source of UV light to the birds (they don't get ouside everyday) I thought about buying either a 20 or 26 watt UV light for both cages (1 for each). Would it be ok to use this fixture? Which wattage would be better. I would be clipping this fixture onto the cage.

I am my birds Mom

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
That is what i use and clipped on the cage on the outside..my Macaw I do not let her on her cage because then she can reach the light bulb..

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
That is what i use and clipped on the cage on the outside..my Macaw I do not let her on her cage because then she can reach the light bulb..
Yeah I could see having the light attached to the cage being a problem. Hmmm.... I didn't think about that.

Thank you.

Kathy

Rollerblading along the road
Why don't you take that clamp off and hang it some way from ceiling.

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
Why don't you take that clamp off and hang it some way from ceiling.
I'm afraid to hang it from the ceiling. The way the area is situated the light would be hanging in the middle of their play area.

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
I always thought the wattage that you get needs to be compatible with the fixture that you're using. Desk lamps have lower wattage than a table lamp. Bathroom lights seem to have a higher wattage. Correct me.

I have an adjustable study lamp where I can move the neck and it's on top of the tv running a 27watt fluorescent UV bulb and I adjust the neck and it's spotlighting Jak's cage next to the tv. She was licking the bulb today so we moved the neck a bit higher.

gritsinct

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cathy
I was just researching adding full spectrum lighting and read that there are many reports of cornea damage in birds from the UV lights. (I now have one full spectrum bulb in the center of the room and know it gives them better light to see but no health benefits at that distance.) So now I am concerned about adding lighting over each cage. There is so much conflicting information out there!! It seems that to have it close enough to give health benefits also adds a health risk! :eek: I'm so confused

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
I was just researching adding full spectrum lighting and read that there are many reports of cornea damage in birds from the UV lights. (I now have one full spectrum bulb in the center of the room and know it gives them better light to see but no health benefits at that distance.) So now I am concerned about adding lighting over each cage. There is so much conflicting information out there!! It seems that to have it close enough to give health benefits also adds a health risk! :eek: I'm so confused
The general ones at the store are 6500 on the color temp when we need to use 5500. I'm pretty sure that's where they are coming from but I'm still learning. I bought an ALZO 27 watt compact fluorescent off amazon. It's sold as photography equipment but was the 5500 and 90+(lumens) I needed for her UV.

Status
Not open for further replies.