• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Using Oil on bird

My birb

Meeting neighbors
I have an Indian ringneck parrot and he usually gets a bald spot on the back of his head and I was thinking if I should use almond oil for it and if it will promote feather growth

Attachments

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy
No, try fresh frozen vegetables after being thawed out and more seeds or more pellets - whichever is not there now.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
No, try fresh frozen vegetables after being thawed out and more seeds or more pellets - whichever is not there now.
^^ Not on his head but in his diet.

I don’t know if this is a thing with ringnecks, anybody know?

Feather loss can be caused by lack of vitamins, especially D3 and calcium. Most birds are also deficient in Vitamin A, by the way. It can also be caused by bacteria, staph infection, and mites.

Please take your bird to the vet if you haven’t already. :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Would you share this birds history? Include the current diet, what you keep him in, any odd habits. Is he possibly rubbing his head on the bars. Do you have any other birds. How old is this bird?

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
I know that some lutino cockatiels have bald spot on their head as a genetic defect, maybe this can happen to ringnecks too? I have no idea, though. History would be useful

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy
Carrots in frozen vegetables will have plenty of Vitamin A but it may be another bird over-preening your IRN or some sort of mite / mange sort of situation. A vet in that IRN is in order. Check under the wings too. It'll likely take up to a year for new head feathers to grow though I think as you'll be waiting for the molt cycle.

I've only heard of bald cockatiels and that is due to a genetic defect caused by inbreeding long agong that produced the first lutinos. My male cockatiel is regular grey pied (visible) and very bald so I think it is probably lutino recessive although I have no way of knowing without breeding him.

My birb

Meeting neighbors
@Mockinbirdiva thanks for replying I have two other budgies in a cage nest to his but they don’t have any feather problems. My Ringnecks diet mainly consists of pellets but I slowly introduce vegetables and fruits but he never eats them. He’s had this happen before in a previous molt but I think it might be something else. And my bird usually scratches his head from time to time and he’s about 2 and half years old :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@Mockinbirdiva thanks for replying I have two other budgies in a cage nest to his but they don’t have any feather problems. My Ringnecks diet mainly consists of pellets but I slowly introduce vegetables and fruits but he never eats them. He’s had this happen before in a previous molt but I think it might be something else. And my bird usually scratches his head from time to time and he’s about 2 and half years old :)
It could be a number of things but the first thing I thought of was this bird trying to get out of a cage ( possibly when you aren't around) and rubbing that particular spot on the bars. Be diligent looking for any collective feathers from this area of his head on the cage floor or area surrounding it's cage. If you are gone part of the day and can set up a video camera that will run while you're gone to see what it does when it's by itself might tell you more about those missing feathers. You might also want to move the budgies further away ... like across the room to see if that has any change as well. You might also crush some pellets into a fine powder and sprinkle some on top of veggies to get him to try eating the pellet dust off of the vegetables. You've always got to think outside of the box and come up with different tricks to get them to try something.