• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Using enrofloxacin after expiry date

Biz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Poo
Hi
My enrofloxacin expired a week ago
Can I still use it on my bird
She has been having poops like these and doing crop clearing more often

I am unable to get to the vet

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You should be able to call your vet and ask if it's still okay to use though?

Biz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Poo
You should be able to call your vet and ask if it's still okay to use though?
Here’s the thing

I am on very bad terms with them now

on the day that one of their most loved patients passed away, I had cancelled an appointment for my bird. They were grieving heavily and had asked me to seek medical treatment elsewhere and go to an alternative vet. I am very uncomfortable calling them as they had vented a lot of their Stress on me.

The bottle has been kept well, in a cool dark environment with a tight lid

Biz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Poo
Here’s the thing

I am on very bad terms with them now

on the day that one of their most loved patients passed away, I had cancelled an appointment for my bird. They were grieving heavily and had asked me to seek medical treatment elsewhere and go to an alternative vet. I am very uncomfortable calling them as they had vented a lot of their Stress on me.

The bottle has been kept well, in a cool dark environment with a tight lid
*they had told me to seek medical care elsewhere after I had tried to rebook an appointment

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You should be able to call an alternative avian vet and have them advise what your best course of action would be.
If you did not manage to reschedule your last appointment then it may even be wise to just make an appointment with another vet and actually have your bird seen.

Biz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Poo
You should be able to call an alternative avian vet and have them advise what your best course of action would be.
If you did not manage to reschedule your last appointment then it may even be wise to just make an appointment with another vet and actually have your bird seen.
Yes I have had her seen recently.. two weeks ago. The vet said body condition was good and did gram stain with no results. Did pbfd test too, negative:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Yes I have had her seen recently.. two weeks ago. The vet said body condition was good and did gram stain with no results. Did pbfd test too, negative:
Call this vet that you saw to ask about the meds?

Reactions: Biz

Aviphile

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
DeeDee
Reactions: Biz

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
When was she originally prescribed the meds? Are they sealed or opened?
Use by dates can sometimes be safely ignored (depending on the meds) if the meds are not opened but others really should not be used if they have already been opened and a certain period of time has gone... it is not a straight forward answer so to ensure you are actually safe to administer what you have I really recommend you get qualified vet advice before taking the advice of internet strangers.

Many meds are ok to use well past use by date, but, not all medications are safe to use after a certain period of time especially if they have already been opened. I personally would call the vet to discuss your situation and best options - In the past I have been told by both my dogs and my birds vets that some meds are fine out of date and I have also been told to toss others that were opened for too long.