• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Urgent help with Cockatiel needed!

Claudia

Moving in
Real Name
Claudia Hale
My 5 year old cockatiel fell extremely ill about 4 days ago. I noticed him fluffed up in the bottom of his cage, not eating, not drinking, underweight, very very lethargic, quiet, and weak. His wings are unkempt as are his feathers and he can hardly hold balance. I have been keeping him warm with a warming light and a hot water bottle that he sits on. Yesterday I went to the vet but didn’t receive much info. I was given antibiotics (Enrofloxacin 25 mg) and anti-inflammatory for pain (Meloxicam Liquid). Yesterday the vet also administered electrolytes, and afterwards he seemed brighter, and even had a better appetite. Today he is weak again, hardly eating, not even his favourite treats, and I am at a loss. However I noticed that when he did eat a few small amounts of his seeds, he sneezed quite a bit. Upon closer inspection in the sunlight I saw almost green flakes in his nose? Does anyone know what this could be and if so can I do something to save him? I’m so scared I’m going to lose him and I need immediate help. Here are some pictures of my baby boy, Cheetoe. Also I took him in my shower hoping the steam would help which I can continue but I’m not sure if it will help? His diet consists of seeds and millets as treat as well as hard boiled egg whites and fruit as treat. He did have a stuck seed in his nose a few days prior to getting sick but I can’t see it in there now so I don’t know if that can be related, and if so can the vets even do anything? I was told she can’t look in his nose as she doesn’t have the tools to do so and I don’t have the money to pay for so many procedures and tests. Please help me, I can’t lose him

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Ask for the antibiotic azithromycin, it works extremely fast in birds with bacterial infection!! Extremely fast ! A very good broad spectrum antibiotic! My avian vet swears by it for down critical birds. She wants me to share about it as much as possible! Vet orders oral suspension to human pharmacy , it's given once every other day by mouth. I do not know dose.
But it saved an almost dead bird for me!!! And saved several critical ones. Like down on bottom of cage eyes not open not eating . Give azithromycin, next day up and eating!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Yes your bird is very very sick . Offer seeds, offer what ever will eat.
I pray your vet will give azithromycin a chance , I'm praying so hard.
If you can go back to vet, a little sQ fluid might help, might help , if they know how to feed formula it support food a little would probably help. But only a little at first

I would probably support with baby bird formula . I'm going to wake one of my birds up right now , and try and make a you tube video for you, and others when needed .
I use kaytee, because is adult you still need nice and warm but temp doesn't have to be exact. I run the water through the coffee machine , it only takes a little water to powder s and d you don't need to make much up . Because to start 1-2 ml will be all you need to give . I test it on my hand to make sure not to hot . I prefer 1 ml syringe or 3 ml syringe. I give only a beak full at a time and wait till they swallow to give a little more. I let them stand , head free, I have a hand on back and offer encourage at beak tip. Adult crops don't stretch like a baby. When they are this sick you give just a little, then you can give just a little in a few hours. You would work up as tolerated to 3-7 ml at feeding for your size bird, but I don't force if they want less. If eating zero on own the Max I do is 4 feeding a day . I stop at night so my last might be between 6-7 pm . My first at 7 am or so.
Risk is aspiration, risk is if to suck to digest and food isn't moving. Benefit is calorie and the fluid in the formula. Do not give plain water they will choke. They will get enough fluid in the formula. I make it thick enough it doesn't drip, thin enough it's easy to draw up and give slow . Make fresh each time fint store it hirs bad quick even in fridge

Claudia

Moving in
Real Name
Claudia Hale
Ask for the antibiotic azithromycin, it works extremely fast in birds with bacterial infection!! Extremely fast ! A very good broad spectrum antibiotic! My avian vet swears by it for down critical birds. She wants me to share about it as much as possible! Vet orders oral suspension to human pharmacy , it's given once every other day by mouth. I do not know dose.
But it saved an almost dead bird for me!!! And saved several critical ones. Like down on bottom of cage eyes not open not eating . Give azithromycin, next day up and eating!
Thank you so much. I will try to get it asap. I don’t know if the clinic will be open tomorrow or not but am wondering, can the two antibiotics be taken together? I don’t want to hurt him. And will they give it to me over the counter? I so appreciate the help

Claudia

Moving in
Real Name
Claudia Hale
Yes your bird is very very sick . Offer seeds, offer what ever will eat.
I pray your vet will give azithromycin a chance , I'm praying so hard.
If you can go back to vet, a little sQ fluid might help, might help , if they know how to feed formula it support food a little would probably help. But only a little at first

I would probably support with baby bird formula . I'm going to wake one of my birds up right now , and try and make a you tube video for you, and others when needed .
I use kaytee, because is adult you still need nice and warm but temp doesn't have to be exact. I run the water through the coffee machine , it only takes a little water to powder s and d you don't need to make much up . Because to start 1-2 ml will be all you need to give . I test it on my hand to make sure not to hot . I prefer 1 ml syringe or 3 ml syringe. I give only a beak full at a time and wait till they swallow to give a little more. I let them stand , head free, I have a hand on back and offer encourage at beak tip. Adult crops don't stretch like a baby. When they are this sick you give just a little, then you can give just a little in a few hours. You would work up as tolerated to 3-7 ml at feeding for your size bird, but I don't force if they want less. If eating zero on own the Max I do is 4 feeding a day . I stop at night so my last might be between 6-7 pm . My first at 7 am or so.
Risk is aspiration, risk is if to suck to digest and food isn't moving. Benefit is calorie and the fluid in the formula. Do not give plain water they will choke. They will get enough fluid in the formula. I make it thick enough it doesn't drip, thin enough it's easy to draw up and give slow . Make fresh each time fint store it hirs bad quick even in fridge
Thank you so much. This is all so helpful. I will try to get the antibiotic asap . Do you think I can use it in pair with the one I already have; enrofloxacin?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Azithromycin must be ordered by your veterinarian it is a prescription antibiotic. Your vet has to decide they want to use this antibiotic. They would switch you to this one and stop the other one. This conversation has to be delicate, no professional veterinarian wants to be told what to do. I can share that it's very fast acting in birds , it is broad spectrum. It is well tolerated , with the benefit of being a very small amount given by mouth only once ever other day for 5 doses total. But your vet has to make the determination that they want to use it , and thst they feel it will be affective. If your bird turned out to have clymadia, doxycycline is the best antibiotic for that specific infection..

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Your bird is very sick , you want to get in contact with your veterinarian in the morning, they may want to hospitalize your bird, or give support fluids or feeding.

This video is how I support a sick adult bird. It is not intended for baby birds , in which temperature and ratio of formula to water must be exact , must follow instructions on your formula.

There are risks to offering formula to a sick bird with a syringe. They can aspirate or choke, in worst case that can kill them. If they are to sick to hold up their head or swallow do not do. You can also offer formula from your finger or a dish. Consultation with your veterinarian is best.

Never do straight water, plain water is way to easy to aspirate or choke. Formula is thicker and a little safer , will help support their fluid needs.
I made age restriction, so minor could not watch . Are you able to watch ? I'm. It even sure if I can figure it out

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yesterday the vet also administered electrolytes, and afterwards he seemed brighter, and even had a better appetite. Today he is weak again, hardly eating, not even his favourite treats
Call the vet and explain this. Write notes before you call so you don't forget to mention anything.

Don't use any medicines without consulting the vet first. They will help give you what your bird needs and advise on whether to continue or discontinue the medicine that was prescribed before.

Claudia

Moving in
Real Name
Claudia Hale
Call the vet and explain this. Write notes before you call so you don't forget to mention anything.

Don't use any medicines without consulting the vet first. They will help give you what your bird needs and advise on whether to continue or discontinue the medicine that was prescribed before.
Thank you. I just read and watched a video of someone flushing their Tiel’s nose. Do you know anything about how safe it is? I feel like I want to do it, but if you tell me not to, I won’t. They say to use a syringe and flush one nostril, the water comes out of the other one and then do the same for the other nostril. Do you have any experience with sinus infections?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thank you. I just read and watched a video of someone flushing their Tiel’s nose. Do you know anything about how safe it is? I feel like I want to do it, but if you tell me not to, I won’t. They say to use a syringe and flush one nostril, the water comes out of the other one and then do the same for the other nostril. Do you have any experience with sinus infections?
Do not flush your birds nares without vet instruction and training to do so.

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I don't have further advice at the moment, but ask your vet office if they accept CareCredit. It's a credit card you can apply for for vet care. I used it once when I had no credit years ago and was accepted. That way you don't have to limit the treatments they can give your precious one.

Also, ask your vet to look into flushing your birds nostrils when you next speak to her.

Claudia

Moving in
Real Name
Claudia Hale
I don't have further advice at the moment, but ask your vet office if they accept CareCredit. It's a credit card you can apply for for vet care. I used it once when I had no credit years ago and was accepted. That way you don't have to limit the treatments they can give your precious one.

Also, ask your vet to look into flushing your birds nostrils when you next speak to her.
I really appreciate you giving me so much advice and help. I will definitely look into everything you said. I’ll also keep you updated with my baby’s progress

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Nasal flush , without proper diagnosis and antibiotics can lead to more problems.
As you can flush the organisms deeper into respiratory system.

A veterinarian doing, culture, and proper meds can be beneficial

How is your bird doing?

Claudia

Moving in
Real Name
Claudia Hale
Nasal flush , without proper diagnosis and antibiotics can lead to more problems.
As you can flush the organisms deeper into respiratory system.

A veterinarian doing, culture, and proper meds can be beneficial

How is your bird doing?
Hello, I agree with you, I think it will be better to let the vet do so if needed with the nasal flush. Cheetoe is doing much better today. He said his name a few times and has been getting a little frisky, flying around the house a bit. He has been avoiding his seeds which I can’t understand because instead he has been feasting on his millets. I’m grateful he’s eating at all, for he is very skinny at the moment. I can see his breastbone quite clearly. But I am hopeful because I offered him a hard boiled egg white which he ate quite a bit of and like I mentioned he is quite liking his millets. I believe his antibiotics and anti-inflammatory is also helping so I am going to continue with that as well. He is getting sunlight in his outdoor cage and I am keeping him warm as well as letting him enjoy steam from my showers. I am constantly praying for him to make a full recovery. Everyone has been so helpful with everything and I so appreciate it

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Oh he looks so much better!

Claudia

Moving in
Real Name
Claudia Hale
My 5 year old cockatiel fell extremely ill about 4 days ago. I noticed him fluffed up in the bottom of his cage, not eating, not drinking, underweight, very very lethargic, quiet, and weak. His wings are unkempt as are his feathers and he can hardly hold balance. I have been keeping him warm with a warming light and a hot water bottle that he sits on. Yesterday I went to the vet but didn’t receive much info. I was given antibiotics (Enrofloxacin 25 mg) and anti-inflammatory for pain (Meloxicam Liquid). Yesterday the vet also administered electrolytes, and afterwards he seemed brighter, and even had a better appetite. Today he is weak again, hardly eating, not even his favourite treats, and I am at a loss. However I noticed that when he did eat a few small amounts of his seeds, he sneezed quite a bit. Upon closer inspection in the sunlight I saw almost green flakes in his nose? Does anyone know what this could be and if so can I do something to save him? I’m so scared I’m going to lose him and I need immediate help. Here are some pictures of my baby boy, Cheetoe. Also I took him in my shower hoping the steam would help which I can continue but I’m not sure if it will help? His diet consists of seeds and millets as treat as well as hard boiled egg whites and fruit as treat. He did have a stuck seed in his nose a few days prior to getting sick but I can’t see it in there now so I don’t know if that can be related, and if so can the vets even do anything? I was told she can’t look in his nose as she doesn’t have the tools to do so and I don’t have the money to pay for so many procedures and tests. Please help me, I can’t lose him
Hi all, I just wanted to let you know that I think I can safely say that Cheetoe is out of the woods. He is singing, flying, chirping, and even bathing again in the shower. I am so thankful to each and every one of your for your continuous support and prayers for my baby boy. I won’t ever forget your kindness and I hope that one day I can repay it somehow. I have also started to add pellets to Cheetoe’s diet which I think he really likes. Here are some pictures of him from today. He is still quite skinny but I have been continuously feeding him treats and encouraging him to eat so hopefully he will be back to his normal weight soon. Again, thank you so so much for everything you have all done for us. We have stopped giving him Meloxicam as told by the vet, but his antibiotics are to be continued for another week or so. I hope you all have a wonderful rest of your week, and I wish you all the best

Attachments

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
He is absolutely adorable. I’m so glad he’s better. You did a great job caring for him:hug8: