• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help Needed- Discolored Foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariahna

Sprinting down the street
I cannot really tell but does his skin appear to be peeling from the foot that is discolored?
No peeling that I can see. I think I'll get him into his vet on Monday just to ease my mind, besides after looking at his feet so much today it's obvious his nails need trimming. :D

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
I, too, think it's the dye. My green cheek conure turned purple, gradually, all over. When I went to the vet, the receptionist took one look & said, What have you been doing to that bird? I said, "nothing"...she's just changing colors. The first vet came in & tried to rub the color off with water. Nothing came off. She commented that she'd never seen a conure this color. But the coloring was so even it looked natural.

The second vet came in & they discussed it a bit, then took Gussie off with them. The second vet soon returned with a triumphant grin...and a purple stained cue tip. She had brushed Gussie w/ a bit of rubbing alcohol & off came the color. I couldn't think of any toys that were purple. Then I went home & found the culprit! A chili flavored cuttle bone! :rofl: Right next to her bird bath. I removed the cuttle bone & eventually Gussie returned to her normal color. But I kind of miss my little purple conure ;) I'm sure your baby is fine...

Last edited:

HungryBird

Rollerblading along the road
My birds get their faces and feet orangeish when they eat anything with red palm oil. Their feet often look like that afterwards.

Ariahna

A purple conure! Who would have guessed it! :lol: Thanks for sharing your story.

Well I don't know whether to feel better or worse but I think it was orange before today and I just didn't catch it. I was looking at some pictures and I came across one I took Thursday night when I started a new blog about this silly bird. This picture was taken Thursday night and although it is hard to see, his right foot looks orange in that picture. P.J. has been eating some hot red peppers last week, and I will check the ingredients list for some of the mixes I give him to see if red palm oil is an ingredient.

Of course he's been playing on the wood play gym and with the same toys for the past week so it could still be the dye, but my heart sank just now when I looked at this picture. I am feeling like a terrible parront at the moment for not noticing this sooner.

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen

Well I don't know whether to feel better or worse but I think it was orange before today and I just didn't catch it. I was looking at some pictures and I came across one I took Thursday night when I started a new blog about this silly bird. This picture was taken Thursday night and although it is hard to see, his right foot looks orange in that picture. P.J. has been eating some hot red peppers last week, and I will check the ingredients list for some of the mixes I give him to see if red palm oil is an ingredient.

Of course he's been playing on the wood play gym and with the same toys for the past week so it could still be the dye, but my heart sank just now when I looked at this picture. I am feeling like a terrible parront at the moment for not noticing this sooner.
I'm sure he is fine Behavior is much more of a clue than anything here. He is weight bearing on it normally & acting healthy...that's what matters. And these subtle changes can sneak up on you. It really does look like dye to me. :)

kep817

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kimberly
Jumanji had a foot that was an awful bluish purple a couple of years ago. I was scared that it had been bruised/broken while playing or something. Eventually figured out that it was a dark blue foot toy that he had gotten wet via his water bottle and then held to chew on. Hopefully yours got the orange from a toy. Keep us posted.:)

Ariahna

The first thing I am doing is putting away all the possible sources of food coloring from toys. Unfortunately I think there is something in his cage that is also colored so I'll have to wait to get that out tomorrow because he is already in there and covered for the night. I took these pictures after his shower outside, and the foot is just as orange as before the shower. I'm pretty worried about him but I'll keep trying to remind myself that he is behaving normal.

Do any of you know if there is an oil or cream that I could put on it to lubricate it and possibly see if the orange will come off?

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
Dip a Q-tip in alcohol and rub it on his foot. Betcha you end up with an orange Q-Tip. This is pretty common. Some foods will stain their feet and of course colored wood toys.
Looks like a nicely colored healthy foot to me.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
You aren’t the first worried parront when something like this happens, and won’t be the last. You acted quick and that shows how much of a great parront you are! :hug8:

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Dip a Q-tip in alcohol and rub it on his foot. Betcha you end up with an orange Q-Tip. This is pretty common. Some foods will stain their feet and of course colored wood toys.
Looks like a nicely colored healthy foot to me.
Yep, Q-tip w/ alcohol is what the vet did to prove Gussie was dyed, not dieing ;). And that last picture was a clincher for me. Look at the inside of the toe, facing the camera...NO ORANGE!!!! If it was something medical, his whole toe would be affected. Sleep well tonight...your baby is OKAY :dance4:

Ariahna

I love you all so much, thank you. Yes, I do see the part of his toe that has no orange color. What a relief. I'll try the rubbing alcohol tomorrow. I can't tell you all how grateful I am to you enough.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! :heart::hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.