• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Help Needed- Discolored Foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariahna

Sprinting down the street
I was taking pictures of PJ playing a little while ago when I noticed that one of his feet (the right one) was orange and the other one is normal color. I have tried calling his avian vet and they are not open but there is an emergency vet in the area if needed. Here are pictures. Can someone please tell me what this might be and what to do. He has been playing on a gym that has colored wood (food coloring) and some of the pegs are orange and even yellow, but I find it very odd that only one foot is discolored if that could be causing it. Any advice? Other than his foot looking strange he seems normal.

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
To me it does look like dye from a toy or food. If that foot was wet when he started playing with the toy it the dye could have easily colored his foot orange. You might try setting his foot in some shallow water to see if it discolors the water any. If it does you know for sure it is the dye.

Ariahna

He is not sitting on a perch, puffed up acting like he wants to go to sleep and has that foot tucked up close to him. :confused:

Ariahna

To me it does look like dye from a toy or food. If that foot was wet when he started playing with the toy it the dye could have easily colored his foot orange. You might try setting his foot in some shallow water to see if it discolors the water any. If it does you know for sure it is the dye.
Okay let me see if I can get him into so water.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
To me it looks like the dye as well. Watch him play and see if that's the foot he holds his toys with most of the time. Don't be alarmed if it does not come off in the water because it may be a little stained which is normal.

Last edited:

Ariahna

Well I got him into his travel cage and misted him down, his foot may have a little less coloring now but it is still obviously not the same as the other. He is really wanting to go to sleep so I am returning him to his cage, covering it up so he stays draft free and will check on him in about an hour. I'm sick to my stomach thinking something could be wrong with him. :(

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
looks like dye to me too. It is afternoon and both of my birds take snoozes most afternoons.

QP4CAG

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay
Im agreeing w/this being dye as well....sometimes my boys get it on their toes woesy and in a few days it goes away....as for the sleep, is in their blood line to nap alllllllllllllllllllll day...(lucky turds) so don't be alarmed. Like stated, all i would do i keep a CLOSE EYE on him. The second your instinct tells you something is wrong, get him to the vet asap. Hope this settles your nerves a little. Your actually being a good mommy by worrying 'bout him and coming here to seek help....keep us posted:hug8:

Ariahna

Thanks everyone, he is trying to sleep so i hope he does soon. He doesn't act like any thing is wrong so I guess it must just be dye. I'm getting rid of these colored wood play gyms. The next time he'd probably have red or blue feet and I'd be freaking out all over again. :(

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I think it's the dye from the orange ball foot toy you showed a photograph of. How's his grip? It doesn't look swollen or injured. Did you check his foot really close to see if a hair or fiber could be wrapped around something?

Ginger

Ariahna

Thanks Ginger. He is walking around fine. I had him in his travel cage and sprayed his foot really good with water. It looks normal from what I can tell except for the color. He's my first bird so I'm definitely not an expert on what the feet are supposed to look like. The little pads on the bottom side of his toes seem a little bigger on that foot but it could be the coloring making it appear that way.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Did he have carrots or something orange? My girls feet always stain the colour of the food they are eating until they take a few baths.

Ariahna

Did he have carrots or something orange? My girls feet always stain the colour of the food they are eating until they take a few baths.
Kim, he did eat his lunch which was wet fresh food right before going to my room and playing on that wood play gym. I just checked the paper plate his lunch was on and there is nothing that would have stained his foot that color, but it's quite possible that foot was wetter since he holds his food with that foot making the dye absorb better. :)

I'm starting to feel like it probably is the dye, but I'll be watching him carefully the rest of weekend.

Paula

Walking the driveway
Did you check his foot really close to see if a hair or fiber could be wrapped around something?
Ginger
Very good idea, in my opinion.

After his nap, would it be possible to carefully examine his foot? If you don't see any cuts, abrasions, fibers, etc., then it probably was just dye from the toy. :)

Ariahna

Thanks, and I will definitely do my best to check his foot when he's done napping. He's and Indian Ringneck and not that fond of being touched when he's not in the mood, but I will do my best to get a good look of the bottom side. The top which I can see pretty well looks fine. :)

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I cannot really tell but does his skin appear to be peeling from the foot that is discolored?

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
Relax, and don't throw his gym and colored toys away. You'll get use to seeing different colors over time.

Blackford

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tyne
What a great mum you are!!! Acting so quick!! From what I can tell looking at your photos, he is fine and just has food colouring stains. My ringnecks have different coloured feet all the time. It can take a bit of getting used to!!!! Just this week Yoshi's left foot has been yellow, blue AND red. He thinks it's fun to dunk his toys in his water or mash bowl!!!

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Lol, I am sorry but this is kind of funny. I get blue boys every once in awhile, they love to dunk their toys in the water then make a mess and dye their beak and feet different colors. Totally normal!

Ariahna

Thanks everyone, I guess I panicked for nothing but I will keep watching him to be sure. He's playing like normal, being silly. I think it is going to take me a while to get used to different colored feet. :lol:

I guess I just had my first "scare" as a parront, I'm sure it won't be my last. :) I'll admit if it is just dye then it's pretty funny, but I wasn't sure of anything when I first saw his foot. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.