• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

URGENT...7 week old

Shannon1961

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all.
I need advice. On the 27th of July which was 5 days ago I picked up my baby quaker. Female DNA tested. Her hatch date was June 13th, 2020. She was supposed to be weaned and on regular food. She was flying around and trying to escape her cage but today that changed. I haven't seen her eat. I did offer some formula on day 2 from a feeding spoon. She only lapped at it. This morning she seemed lethargic. So, I tried warming her up and got a feeding syringe. She went to town on it.
Given her age, should she be weaned?
Any advice on how much and how often she should eat PLEASE?!
I'm extremely worried about her. Even after eating she is still sitting on the bottom of her cage huddled up with her feathers fluffed.
Should I put her into a brooder container?
I don't mind hand feeding her at all. I actually wanted to. But the breeder insisted on weaning. She's a reputable breeder.
Please, any advice and guidance is needed.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I would say not. Usually 8-10 weeks on average, but sometimes longer. This seems an irresponsible breeder to give you a bird that young and say it's weaned.

@Mizzely @Zara

Not sure. If she isn't weaned I would say so, but I am not experienced so can't help here. Hopefully someone with better knowledge can offer advice soon

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Birds usually regress when re-homed at such early stages in their lives. You could try putting your bird back on the night time feeding. It will do good for the mental health of your bird and make a more confident bird with less issues in the long term.

As for not eating and sitting fluffed up, I cannot give any advice on that as it can be a medical issue.

Reactions: Ali

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My Quaker came home at 12 weeks and still regressed. What did was she supposedly weaned onto? I'd keep feeding her by hand but keep offering foods she's familiar with.

Reactions: Ali

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I breed Quakers and seven weeks is very early, it’s usually 8-10 weeks and I never let them go to a new home till that have been eating totally on their own and maintaining weight for at least 10 days. I would continue the hand feeding 3times a day and slowly decrease as you see her eating more food. Sitting fluffed can indicate she may not be well and should see a vet to rule out any infection

Quakerlady

Meeting neighbors
Hi all.
I need advice. On the 27th of July which was 5 days ago I picked up my baby quaker. Female DNA tested. Her hatch date was June 13th, 2020. She was supposed to be weaned and on regular food. She was flying around and trying to escape her cage but today that changed. I haven't seen her eat. I did offer some formula on day 2 from a feeding spoon. She only lapped at it. This morning she seemed lethargic. So, I tried warming her up and got a feeding syringe. She went to town on it.
I'm extremely worried about her. Even after eating she is still sitting on the bottom of her cage huddled up with her feathers fluffed.
I don't mind hand feeding her at all. I actually wanted to. But the breeder insisted on weaning. She's a reputable breeder.
Please, any advice and guidance is needed.
No, she should NOT be weaned. Mine is 14 weeks and still getting 1 nightly hand feeding. Just because a bird picks up seed does not mean she is eating it. Please feed her 3 feedings a day. Make sure to google how to if you've never done it before.
Good luck!