• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

*( Updated with Video)* What has changed? (Monty biting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I was bitten a few nights ago, and I posted this http://forums.avianavenue.com/eclectus-alley/49644-monty-surprised-me-today.htmll.

Today, Monty lunged at my face (nearly got my lip). He then bit my arm when I had him step up. This was just a few minutes ago.

I'm trying to figure out what has changed so I can eliminate whatever is causing this behavior. We have made a few changes in the last couple of weeks. He has had a lot of change so I'm not taking this personally.

1) Cage location - we moved his cage into the bird room um...2 weeks ago? He did perfectly fine with it, wasn't showing any change in mood/behaivior/food consumption
2) Cage...a few days ago we moved him from the big huge Mickaboo cage into the white one that is a tad smaller

I'm wondering if I should put him back in the old cage? I don't want to stress him out further. We can't keep that cage.

I am unsure as to if I should "ride it out" or not, since I am obviously missing his signs. He isn't pinning his eyes or fanning his tail or anything.

Cupcake

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
~Ann~
Oh no.............Monty - you be nice to your momma!!!!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
How long has he been with you?
Could it possibly be the end of the honeymoon period? I know when mine ended with Petey (two months in I think), it was rather abrupt.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Shade,
Yes, I suppose it could be the end of the honeymoon period. We're creeping up on that two month mark. However, I seriously feel like he has a wonderful, sweet disposition and that this was caused by a change/factor in his environment. Do you think he would really do a 180 on his entire behavior? I've not experienced the honeymoon before (even with Cuppy).

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Shade,
Yes, I suppose it could be the end of the honeymoon period. We're creeping up on that two month mark. However, I seriously feel like he has a wonderful, sweet disposition and that this was caused by a change/factor in his environment. Do you think he would really do a 180 on his entire behavior? I've not experienced the honeymoon before (even with Cuppy).
Oh I won't knock the change in the environment. It's quite possible.

End of honeymoon and change of behaviour.
Petey was rather sweet when I first got him. He was also great with my other birds, even used to preen and be preened by Joey.
Then one day, very drastically, it changed. He became what the people at the rescue told me he was like once he was comfortable in a household. And while it's nice to know he was comfortable enough to be "himself", it was a bit scary at how much of a 180 degrees he did.

On top of now wanting to bite me every instant he had, he also changed with the birds. He no longer would tolerate anyone of them remotely close to him. This last part has since improved much and he can tolerate them as far as they aren't immediately next to him.

Now, not all birds have this. When I got Joey, Pixel and Zuri, who were all rehomed birds, there wasn't any drastic change. In fact, they got progressively better as time went by.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Im not sure what the issue is,but Im sorry he's being like this.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Give him back his old cage for a few days and see how he behaves. If its about the cage, you may need to buy a cage just like it or offer to buy the cage that is mickaboos. Or slowly transition him to the small one.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Thank you for the advice Mercedez and Shade. I have to think on it. Hopefully he is just having an off day or two.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Hopefully it is just one of those days and he will go back to the Monty you love. But there are changes in his life and he needs time to adjust to the changes. He is obviously upset about something, especially if he isn't telegraphing his behavior with movement.

Take a deep breath and think about it.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Hopefully it is just one of those days and he will go back to the Monty you love. But there are changes in his life and he needs time to adjust to the changes. He is obviously upset about something, especially if he isn't telegraphing his behavior with movement.

Take a deep breath and think about it.
I agree. I'm not freaking out or anything since I just went through this with Cuppy. I hope he pulls through it.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I decided to swap him back to the old cage today. I put him away and he immediatley turned around and lunged at me in the old cage.

Well, we brought the old one inside. He got really excited when we were bringing it in making his happy call. I got it all set up and moved back into the bird room and we went in like a happy camper. He came out, gave me kisses, but I didn't want him out so I asked him to step up to go back into the cage. He stepped up, bit in the process and then bit AGAIN when I was asking him to get on the perch. Hubby came running when I called down the hall that Monty had bit me. I stopped him at the door and told him not to come in in case Monty wanted to associate biting with Sean coming in.

He also bit me last night when I asked him to step up. Sean was sleeping on the couch and Monty was flapping at his head so I put him away. :unsure:

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
is he biting when you are putting him back...

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
You know Eclectus will breed year round, so they don't have a breeding "season" per se, but they do seem to have cycles. It sounds to me like he is just amped up right now and pretty full of himself.

I usually transport LaFitte with a folded rope perch when he acts this way. If he feels like biting something he can bite the rope and no one really cares. Usually this type of behavior only lasts a couple weeks. I would say give it two weeks from this weekend where you don't allow him near your skin. It's just easier, IMO, to prevent the bite. Then no one gets upset.

I also let LaFitte "fight" with a stuffed animal by letting him grab hold of it with his beak while I shake it back and forth. I want him to know he can be rough without hurting me. LaFitte does have a mate but he and I are friends and normally he is gentle with me.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I really hope he is just "amped up" and full of it. To be frank, for the first time in a while I am actually a bit scared of a bird and not at all confident in my abilities. We moved him back into the big cage, and I am thinking to leave him alone for a few days in hopes he calms down. I have no clue when he will bite.
Today he chased me down the hallway attacking my feet (see video - you can see it start). Thank goodness I was wearing shoes. I sort of pushed him backwards into our bathroom by holding my feet up and saying "back up." I wrapped him in a bathrobe and put him away using that because I could tell he was going to bite me...or at least I figured with his existing behavior that it was likely.

I am very nervous about this development, as Sean will not always be around (military, deployments...etc.). If he has chosen Sean, and Sean leaves on deployment for god knows how long, what happens? I don't have any idea how to handle it. I am normally very confident about my abilities with birds, but when I can't tell when a bird is going to bite it makes me very nervous. I have not changed anything about my behavior or appearance. Maybe this is the end of the honeymoon and this is what he is really like.

I feel very wishywashy and clueless right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Take a deep breath, Amanda. Let it out.:hug8:
OK. He doesn't give you the pre-bite signals you are used to seeing; no feathers, etc. But I am sure he is giving some indicators, you just have to learn them. Start with hand held perch training for those times your hubby isn't home. If he attacks when you are giving food and water, don't give it. Tell him 'no, not till you behave'. He isn't going to starve if he gets his food an hour or two later and he will learn he has to respect your boundaries in order to get his food. Or if he is having a really bad day, distract him with a treat at one side of the cage and then change the food and water.

You know there are ways of handling this behavior anomaly. And I know you can do it. You know a lot about pet birds and you have worked with a lot of them. Don't let this erode your confidence in your ability to handle the situation. And that is what this is, a situation. Perhaps he is going through a cycle for breeding, perhaps it is post honeymoon brattiness; it doesn't matter, it is different from his usual way of interacting with you. I have to believe he is going through a phase, just like all living things do. Hang in there and keep thinking and working.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Why was he with Mickaboo to start with? Why did his former owners give him up? Was it only because of the plucking or was it maybe because he had some aggression issues.

I find with Petey I don't trust him anymore to step up on my hand. I use a perch. It works wonders. I can carry him from room to room and my hands are safe.
I always have a perch around - in each room always within reaching distance just in case he decides to fly to me to attack or if he starts wondering on the ground.

I had to be comfortable with handing him in some fashion given that Petey did choose my SO and that he is often gone for weeks at a time for work related projects. I actually have found that Petey is better with me during the time where my SO is away, after it's been a few days that he has left. Maybe because that he realizes that he's "stuck" with me and that there aren't any alternatives during that time. I still don't trust him with my hand, but his aggression towards me seems to lessen a bit.

It's a tricky situation it's sure. But for you, I would focus on how his feathers have improved while he was in your care and start training him to step up on a perch - either a T perch or a long rope perch allowing you to switch where you're holding it if Monty decides to go to the side where your hand is.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
The video helped. I'm going to say a bunch of things and since you don't know me they might come across crappy and I don't mean them to so please realize I am not being critical. I just want to help so that you and Monty can have a good relationship.

He needs a much better setup in that cage. I realize it's not his regular cage because you put him back in it during this time of stress. Nevertheless he has nothing there to keep him busy and no job to do. It's harder to get older birds to mess with things, but I think it's very important to try. IMO there needs to be many more perches in his cage with something chewable hanging near each perch. You can also go outside and cut some branches off trees in your yard and weave them through the bars. He can peel the bark and snip the leaves if the trees are leafed out in your part of the country.

Find an old basket or buy a stainless bucket and fill it with foot toys (dice, dominoes, old playing cards, wooden door shims from the hardware store, measuring spoons, baby rattles, etc.) Put a couple shelled almonds in there too so he has a surprise.

Then find some small old stuffed animals and put them onhis cage top along with some wiffle balls and pinecones if you can find them as well as anything else you have that you don't care if he lobs off the top, like plastic measuring cups for instance. Popcicle sticks are good too.

Can you hang a boing above his cage to encourage him to climb? I can't remember if there is a boing in his cage but if not, that would be a good idea. I don't think he's going to be too active in there so filling it up with stuff with him to mess with would be great.

He needs some exercise other than chasing you, although that really isn't a bad thing if you can find a way to do it where you are not afraid and he can see it as a game. He just needs to wear off some of his pent up energy. He's finally at home with you and now he's not sure what to do with himself; plus he's feeling randy.

I REALLY urge you to take a long rope perch, fold it in half, and offer the folded end for him to step up on. The rope perch needs to be long enough that when folded he is a foot away from you. Get a large diameter rope perch so it stays stiff when bent in half.

BTW, I don't think you did a bad thing by moving him aside with your foot. Much better than getting bit!

I think he's having a hard time controlling himself right now. It's not mean to keep him caged for a few days as long as he has things to do in his cage. Let him out if you are comfortable but if he becomes aggressive, just put him back. Tell him you don't like it when he bites and when he scares you. Then scoop him up with a folded rope perch and carry him right back to his cage. Turn your back and walk away. Birds aren't dumb. They know displeasure in our voice and actions.

Monty would probably enjoy clicker training. It would allow you two to interact without touching. If not that, then how about rolling a wiffle ball on his cagetop and letting him get it. Or on the floor in the hallway, as a means of exercise? Just be sure to transport him using something other than your hand for a while.

Also, have a look at this video which is part of a series by Dr. Perry:

http://www.eclectushealth.com/birds...tional-therapy-for-randy-bird-syndrome-220710

Last edited:

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
The video helped. I'm going to say a bunch of things and since you don't know me they might come across crappy and I don't mean them to so please realize I am not being critical. I just want to help so that you and Monty can have a good relationship.

He needs a much better setup in that cage. I realize it's not his regular cage because you put him back in it during this time of stress. Nevertheless he has nothing there to keep him busy and no job to do. It's harder to get older birds to mess with things, but I think it's very important to try. IMO there needs to be many more perches in his cage with something chewable hanging near each perch. You can also go outside and cut some branches off trees in your yard and weave them through the bars. He can peel the bark and snip the leaves if the trees are leafed out in your part of the country.
He has 4 perches, and I have a fifth one I plan on adding to it today. What's in there right now is what I put in there yesterday when we were moving the cages around, so it's not fully set up. Okay, he needs more toys? I have kept the cage as active as I can without him potentially hitting something. He's prone to jump or flap and hurt himself so I've been trying to save the few feathers that are growing in. I can get a thicker boing to hang in or above his cage, that's not a problem.

Find an old basket or buy a stainless bucket and fill it with foot toys (dice, dominoes, old playing cards, wooden door shims from the hardware store, measuring spoons, baby rattles, etc.) Put a couple shelled almonds in there too so he has a surprise.

Then find some small old stuffed animals and put them onhis cage top along with some wiffle balls and pinecones if you can find them as well as anything else you have that you don't care if he lobs off the top, like plastic measuring cups for instance. Popcicle sticks are good too.

Can you hang a boing above his cage to encourage him to climb? I can't remember if there is a boing in his cage but if not, that would be a good idea. I don't think he's going to be too active in there so filling it up with stuff with him to mess with would be great.

He needs some exercise other than chasing you, although that really isn't a bad thing if you can find a way to do it where you are not afraid and he can see it as a game. He just needs to wear off some of his pent up energy. He's finally at home with you and now he's not sure what to do with himself; plus he's feeling randy.

I REALLY urge you to take a long rope perch, fold it in half, and offer the folded end for him to step up on. The rope perch needs to be long enough that when folded he is a foot away from you. Get a large diameter rope perch so it stays stiff when bent in half.

BTW, I don't think you did a bad thing by moving him aside with your foot. Much better than getting bit!

I think he's having a hard time controlling himself right now. It's not mean to keep him caged for a few days as long as he has things to do in his cage. Let him out if you are comfortable but if he becomes aggressive, just put him back. Tell him you don't like it when he bites and when he scares you. Then scoop him up with a folded rope perch and carry him right back to his cage. Turn your back and walk away. Birds aren't dumb. They know displeasure in our voice and actions.

Monty would probably enjoy clicker training. It would allow you two to interact without touching. If not that, then how about rolling a wiffle ball on his cagetop and letting him get it. Or on the floor in the hallway, as a means of exercise? Just be sure to transport him using something other than your hand for a while.

Also, have a look at this video which is part of a series by Dr. Perry:

Birds Eclectus Parrot's Therapy for Randy Bird Syndrome 220710 | EclectusHealth.com is Dr Ross Perry about Eclectus Parrots in Sickness and Health
Thank you for your suggestions. I'll introduce those things to him slowly and I'll add some more stuff to his cage today. He did step up for me this morning when I was getting him out (kind of the morning ritual, I get him and Cuppy out first thing).

CosmoKramer

Real Name
Zach
Funny you are having this problem as well. Holly is more fiesty then usual as well. She is an agel when off of the cage but I am not allowed to ask her to step up from the cage. She will still step up for my dad sometimes but other times she is just moody and wants to sit and watch instead of interact. I have found that she wont let me touch her when she is in/on her cage because she is very territorial of her food bowl and I am the one who does food everyday. Whenever I put the bowl in her cage she will get all ruffled up and sit low over the bowl like she is protecting it. Luckily she has feeder doors :p

It could be just they are a little "amped" up, because I got a couple matching bite marks on my arm too :o:

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
I don't know if he'll "play" with toys because lots of older ekkies won't. That's why I suggested hanging things he can chew by his perches. Be sure he can sit safely on the perch and reach whatever you hang since he doesn't have good balance. If you want store-bought items, try shreddables like Bird Kabobs on a string and the Butterfly Raffle toy. I think he'll probably mess with those two for sure.

Hey, have you seen Kris Porter's ideas? She has two free PDF books of things to make to keep birds busy and lots of great ideas on her website.

Parrot Enrichment
Parrot Enrichment

I've found that more perches make it safer. My LaFitte has a bad elbow on his left wing so cannot fly. I have my birdroom set up so he can maneuver everywhere without touching the floor or flying. I believe it has made him much stronger. He goes from perch to perch in the cages and will hang from a boing with his beak, stretching his foot to reach another perch. When there is a big gap between places to grab he's more likely to fall.

I'm so very happy to hear he stepped up politely for you this morning! Please at least try a couple small diameter branches and see what he thinks. That is the one item that all my ekkies go ga-ga over. When I bring in fresh branches their eyes just light up.

Status
Not open for further replies.