• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Updated Info - Post #1 Cage Brand Information

Rory's Mom

Meeting neighbors
thank you all for your help - this has been quite confusing and overwhelming - sometimes I really overanalyze and in doing so - miss out on getting my birds back home -
it's sad that an american company is just so out of my price range - and they don't have payment plans - the guy from freedom was saying custom cages is an elite market.
I don't want anything too big of fancy - just a nice safe home for my birds with enough room that they don't feel like they're cage in (so to speak)

I'm really glad I found this forum in my research -

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
thank you all for your help - this has been quite confusing and overwhelming - sometimes I really overanalyze and in doing so - miss out on getting my birds back home -
it's sad that an american company is just so out of my price range - and they don't have payment plans - the guy from freedom was saying custom cages is an elite market.
I don't want anything too big of fancy - just a nice safe home for my birds with enough room that they don't feel like they're cage in (so to speak)

I'm really glad I found this forum in my research -

I understand. :hug8: Cage shopping is really the worst. But many people have powder-coated cages that they feel perfectly safe housing their birds in. If it gives you the additional peace of mind you can have a paint chipped from part of the cage (like the bottom of a leg, inaccessible to your parrot) sent out for testing just to be 100% sure :)

Rory's Mom

Meeting neighbors
Thank you Lotus - I guess I've let my research get the better of me. Just so much to do and I'm on decision overload. :lol:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I have been told by the previous owner of California Cages that the majority of bird cages are made in China because they control the steel market. He got out of the business because the Chinese could produce cages for less than he could.
I have one old California Cage . . . . . . can't you let that owner know there are some of us that want them to come back??? Sure - some people will want cheap cages from China - but what about those of us that would spend more for quality???

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I have one old California Cage . . . . . . can't you let that owner know there are some of us that want them to come back??? Sure - some people will want cheap cages from China - but what about those of us that would spend more for quality???

I really like California cages. However, they are fully welded and do not come apart. Before buying one, make sure it fits through the doors ;)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I really like California cages. However, they are fully welded and do not come apart. Before buying one, make sure it fits through the doors ;)
God took care of me and the feathered dudes. It does fit through the door! :dance4:

I'm thinking I will get it repainted this year though - it's starting to wear. Secret's cage is an H Q one that is actually larger than the California Cage but still fits through the door (barely and I mean BARELY).

Rory's Mom

Meeting neighbors
How are the HQ and Avian adventures? Also, I'm seeing a lot of cages on places like cages4less - they all look familiar but they don't list the manufacturers.

Glad to hear Clueless found a good cage - bet the birds are loving it -

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
How are the HQ and Avian adventures? Also, I'm seeing a lot of cages on places like cages4less - they all look familiar but they don't list the manufacturers.

Glad to hear Clueless found a good cage - bet the birds are loving it -
Actually I found the California Cage before I rescued the two amazons. It as a Craigslist ad that I answered. They had 2 cages for sale at that place. I have a gift for gab, admitted what we were doing about getting the parrots w/no knowledge - the wife whispered to the husband and I wound up buying both cages for less than the price of the one cage I went to look at.

There are used cages that randomly pop up on Craigslist but I would caution anyone to try to get a history of "WHY" is that cage for sale and, regardless of the reason, make sure to wash thoroughly, sterilize in some way and then let it sit in the good old sun for a while.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Bailey was in a HQ cage. I have not had the cage tested and don't know what the point would be at this point. He almost died and I guess testing the cage at this point would just be another 100.00 out the window. For all of you test the paint! No one seems to be interested in taking responsibility at this point! All I have is a well respected Dr. telling me his gizzard was full of paint chips and 2,000.00 later and not done that Bailey is a lucky man. Last x-ray still had paint chips which could take months to flush out. HQ is made in China and from what I understand the owner is Chinese and lives in China. So when approached at the Global Pet this past weekend in Orlando by a large pet store and he spoke of my ordeal, no speak good English! The old standby!

Rory's Mom

Meeting neighbors
that's horrible beakface - but I bet he speaks great english when it comes to counting the money.
I've decided on a stainless - the birds will just have to share - shouldn't be a problem they're doing that now. Pionus and a cockatiel -
just want to make sure I get the best one considering the pricing of them.

I checked out a few cages online - and if I'm having a problem getting mine cleaned of this weird residue that at times comes off black and others a greenish blue - then I don't feel comfortable getting a used one cleaned well enough -

Any ideas on getting a powder coated cage cleaned to the point that it's safe enough to put the birds back into it?

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I am just not the one to ask. I wouldn't put any of my birds in a powder coated cage. If I had no choice I would have it tested first.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I have an HQ from close to their time of coming on the market. I used it for more than 12 years, and it is still in good condition. However, it seems the quality has gone down even though they are a Chinese company. So I admit I'd like to see one in person first before buying another.

Rory's Mom

Meeting neighbors
Hi - it's been a while since I last visited - still no cage - still no stove - actually it was problems with ordering the stove that postponed me getting a cage. I got cold feet - the Lady at AE was great to deal with - I just reached out and worked at a deal on a cage I just have to send confirmation of the order and send the check - I know I've seen where people posted that they have AE cages and love them.

I'm assuming they are a reputable dealer and no problems getting the cage - or with the cage once received - especially since she wants a check up front; won't take a CC where I could have some control with payment if there was a problem - Just have been burned really bad since this Hurricane and I don't want to hand over that amount of money - with nothing I can do if something goes wrong.

perhaps I would be better just ordering a prefab cage from Kings - but for their price - I can get a nice cage from them and it's made in the USA

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MyAussieFriends

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
My experiences:

Elite-Cages: This is a Canadian company. I had bought two flight cages from them, because they were very inexpensive. Their price really reflects their craftsmanship. They are very poorly built, and had started rusting after only a few years. These cages are made in China. I would absolutely avoid this company, and pay the extra money for a big name brand cage.

Kings Cages: I have two of their cages. Both of them came to me used. The first one came with a rescue bird, and they had the cage for years. I have no idea how old it is, but it looks like new. The second is a flight cage. There is absolutely no competition between the Kings and the elite-pets flight cage. The Kings is very sturdy, and I expect it to last many years.

Prevue Hendryx: Just today I got my prevue hendryx cage in the mail. Though the cages are made in China, the powder coating seems to be pretty decent. The cage came in perfect condition, and was simple enough to set up that I could do it alone. I'm very happy with it so far, but it is only the first day, so only time will tell whether it will last.

Rory's Mom

Meeting neighbors
MyAussieFriends -have you ever heard of Animal Environments? that's the company I'm looking at - handmade in USA - all Stainless steel hand welded according to the person I spoke to.

MyAussieFriends

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
MyAussieFriends -have you ever heard of Animal Environments? that's the company I'm looking at - handmade in USA - all Stainless steel hand welded according to the person I spoke to.
I've heard of them, but I have no experience with them or know anyone who does. I'm sure there are plenty of users here that know of them though :)

Rory's Mom

Meeting neighbors
I've had such back luck lately that I'm scared to death to part with money via a check. At least a CC you can file a complaint and retrieve your money (or at least I think you can)
I know people swear by expandable habitat - and I've had two kings cages before (they were destroyed in the hurricane) they don't make the size I had anymore.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I've had such back luck lately that I'm scared to death to part with money via a check. At least a CC you can file a complaint and retrieve your money (or at least I think you can)
I know people swear by expandable habitat - and I've had two kings cages before (they were destroyed in the hurricane) they don't make the size I had anymore.

I would NOT pay by check. Absolutely not. Especially with a company with a spotty customer service record. What's the excuse for not taking credit card payment?

pitman44

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve Scott
A CC may not be as safe as you think. Check with your CC company. Many have limitations on how far away the purchase can be made. I know, I know. It makes no sense, but one card we had wouldn't cover purchases made over 100 miles from your home. Isn't that part of the purpose of using a CC?