• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on Cody

Status
Not open for further replies.

DebysFids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Deby
we went to vet at 3pm and he did the usual blood test and fecal exam then he took xrays of Cody's leg , Cody does not have a birth defect his leg was broke in the nest somehow , the breeder told me she did not remove the babies , they were 3 in his clutch until they were around 4 weeks old why she waited so long is a good question my vet wanted to know that answer to , I have no answer to that one , so his leg was broke and it has healed crooked and out of line
My vet said he could rebrake it but he highly recomended leaving as is , it would be a very high risk surgery if he was to do it and he gave me a good 6 or 7 reasons why not to do surgery on him , at least we know it is not a birth defect
he took 2 sets of xrays and you could see where the break was and how it healed
Good news is other then all of that Cody is a good healthy boy , he weighed in at 430 grams which my vet was very happy about and all his tests came back excellent :)
he said give him a little extra calcium for his bones and highly suggested giving him some Red Palm Oil about 3 times a week , his feather do look a little raggedy and me and hubby went to the bird store this evening and bought Cody his new cage , I will take some pics tomorrow and post them , he now has a half dome , half square with playtop cage , it's 42 inches wide so he should have plenty of room to move around in and I ordered a Squawters perch for him tonight plus some palm oil , I think he loves his new cage he was climbing all over it and it only took hubby 3 hours :( to put it together :(
I will post some pics tomorrow heading for bed it's been a very long day here

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Good to hear that the leg is the only issue! He'll learn to adapt better to that as well as time goes on. Thank you for taking care of this angel :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
glad to hear that the leg is all he has to contend with....bless your heart. :hug8:

DebysFids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Deby
aww ty , he is a joy to live with , me and hubby are totally smitten with him

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad to hear that he is healthy,poor baby tho to have a broken leg heal wrong.

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I'm really sooo glad that Cody's vet gave him the healthy stamp of approval.. :) Thats fantastic! Just poor little guy will learn how to get around with that bad foot... Our birdies are very smart and resourceful.. :heart:

Chicklette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Courtney
Good for you, if it were not for people like you this world would be horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.