• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

<UPDATE..FOUND!>Just lost my Macaw Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Autumn
Long story short our fully flighted B&G was spooked and took flight yesterday morning while being transfered 4 feet from our house to her outside flight pen. We called a tree trimming service and they were able to get close to her. She was spooked and flew to an even taller and thinner pine tree. As of this morning she is in her 4th pine tree. She is about 50 ft up at the very top. I know its a long shot but does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can get her home? We have her double macaw cage out side where she can see it, her flight cage is open, we are taking food to the pine tree where she can see it, and talking to her. She wants to come down to us and is even saying step up and trying to step up to the air. I am terrified. Its been in the upper 90's here in Florida. We have hawks and owls like crazy in Palm Coast. I dont know what else to do but get ready to never see her again.

Last edited by a moderator:

komodeno

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Nadejda or just Nadia
Re: Just lost my Macaw Help!

Try with ASPSA or the Fire Brigade. They should be able to help you.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Can you see her? I would call the fire department if you feel your bird wouldn't spooky from them. There are also people who CLIMB tree, perhaps you can get them to come over. I would suggest having a pillow case to put her in. Instruct them to pick her up, hold her toes and scoop the pillow case over her.

Try staying outside as much as possible and calling her in a calm manner. Don't call her name frantically. Birds can hear the fright and paranoia in our voices and become frightened.

Just hang in there, others will be along shortly with my advice.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen

I'd definitely see if you can get someone out there with a large ladder and be the one she sees on it. She might react better if you're on the other end possibly with something she really likes. A snack, a toy, something. Does she have a friend you can bring out and put in the flight cage? Someone she might be more motivated to come see or at least give her some guiding advice on getting down.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

As a last resort, people have taken a garden hose and soaked the bird. It sounds like she has a hard time flying "down".

Also a large net on a pole has been used. The bird might lose a few feathers getting her into the net but that's the lesser of two evils.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month

Oh goodness, I pray you get her back safely and soon! :hug8:

I second the fire brigade, they should be able to come and help you out. Or do you have a ladder? Could you get up as far as you can to encourage her to come down? Also a good idea to post fliers, get neighbors to help if they can.. keep calling out to her though!

Autumn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Autumn

Sad thing is my husband is a fireman. They will not come out to help, even for him. The tree service people that came out yesterday scaled up the tree with out a latter. He used spiked shoes and a harness. The pine she is in this morning is about 1/2 a foot around but like I said 50' tall. No one can climb it and she is at the very top. We can see her and she is talking to us, making hungry baby macaw noises (she's 5 years old). She makes this ott-ott sound when she wants food. She's telling us step up, hello, and just belting out her macaw call like crazy. She just doesn't know how to fly down. She's acting like she wants to but wont take that step. I am at work right now only because I was told if I do not come in I would not have a job. Hubby is at home but like I said he is a fireman and has to work his 12 hour shift starting at 6 pm tonight. He will need to go to bed soon. The neighbors know she has gotten out and dont seem to care enough to help. I will be home tonight at 5pm although I really don't know what else I can do but call to her.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I'm so sorry,I hope your able to get her down soon.

patagonian

Hit the Road

I"m sorry autumn....I know what you are going through.....I think some people look at you and think "it's just a bird" makes me really upset!! I pray that she comes down real soon!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

:( Oh no. I hope being hungry enough will help her muster the courage to fly down.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
I'm so sorry! I can't believe the fire company won't come out!! I don't know if I would take the chance of using any water unless it was high powered enough to soak her in one shot. My Grey flew away and the fire company did come out and was able to spray him down but he was soaked right away and wasn't able to fly. You are doing all the right things with the cage. Did you put her favorite treats where she can see them? Maybe a large bowl of sunflower seeds?

Praying she comes down soon!!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I have never faced this, and I can only imagine how awful it feels, but if any of my macaws ever got out, I know the only chance I'd have of getting them down would be food, food, food. I'd have tons of whatever foods and treats they love the most, and I'd be out there as close as I could get, in view of the bird, eating them and making yummy noises. That would probably get Elvis or Zoe to come to me--I don't think they could resist... It's worth a try. I wish you all the best :hug8:

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea

I remember reading somewhere to not stand directly under the tree she's in, but to call from further away where the flight down won't be so extreme for her. That's really all I can add....sorry :( I hope she comes down soon!!

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary

What ever you do make sure you don't loose sight of her, watch day and night. She will come down when hungry or spooked, keep shiny dishes with food where she can see them. If she has a regular play stand put it where she can see it, then keep calling, and I bet she comes down.

Good luck today.

Gary

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

In the meantime please make sure to get the word out to everyone you know through Flyers etc. Have great friends and neighbors do this for you so you can keep an eye on her. Do you have binoculars too? I purchased some after that fiasco with my grey last year.

The more people who know about your parrot missing, the better.
I really do think you are very lucky that you can still see her and that she is staying put for now. She may fly off later due to the extreme heat and hunger to look for shade. When my grey flew off last year I was clueless as to which direction she may have flown off to. She was found 2 days later ..6 km away.

I remember in Barbara Heidenreich's *Get your bird Back* Dvd she said to Get out a map and mark the point of where your bird is situated. Draw that 15 mile radius circle around that point so you know what areas need to be covered. I know this is very hard. I know..:(

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

I think I'd read somewhere about someone who was in your situation - spooked bird within sight but unable to retrieve. If I remember what they did was set up something like a small perch/platform and put out food and water in containers their bird could recognize as his. He did eventually get hungry, tired and thirtsy enough that he came down to the food and stepped up for his owner. I can only hope for the best possible outcome for you and send you my prayers and good thoughts.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I also wanted to add that when I lost my grey last year ~ going to work was the furthest thing on my mind. I was due at work in an hour. There was no way that I was not going to do everything in my capacity to find my african grey. Even if I had gone to work I would have been an uncontrollable mess and not very good at my job.

I telephoned my boss out of courtesy to let them know not to expect me and didn't really care what the result may have been.

Fortunately for me they all know how I feel about my parrots and especially my grey and were extremely understanding and compassionate.

My point is that I wouldn't have been productive at work had I decided to go to work and when given the choice between finding my lost parrot and going to work .. work will always lose out for me. The first hours and few days are crucial. Jobs come and go but there will only be one parrot like mine. I know it's not an easy decision nor is everyone in a financial situation lose their job but

I say this with alot of respect for the situation that you are in... please consider the importance of being there for your parrot right now even if you *may* lose your job.:(

Last edited:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye

You need to stand out away from the tree at least the length of the tree and more of a 45º angle.....I have cut down a tree before that was over 20 feet and Sammy (macaw) road the tree down...and I was able to grab him...clap your hands and call to him as you walk backwards away from him but he can see you...

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

I just called my husband to ask if we could help. You are just an hour and a half from me. I will send my ph number in a pm.:hug8:Lots of positive energy coming your way.
Carole

Last edited:

QP4CAG

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay

how awful!!!! Your hubby's own FD won't help?? WOW im speechless and heart broken for you guys at the same time. Carol how WONDERFUL it is for you to offer help! I would too if i lived closer...please keep us posted...in the mean time, :hug8:and prayers your way

Status
Not open for further replies.