• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

(Update #37) conure strange panting, whining, quivering

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Oh my goodness! That video was so scary. I'm glad it was nothing serious. What an odd behavior!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I was going to guess hormonal behavior. That is the way my BH Pi Olivia (RIP) behaved and sounded when she wanted to mate. Immediately afterward she would get jiggie with a toy or perch.

Chicobo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Erin
:omg:
That has to be the strangest behavior I've ever seen. If CC or Dovey did something like that I'd probably panic and rush them to the ER Vet! I'm so glad to hear this wasn't a sad ending or something horribly wrong, but I agree that unless it is some kind of mating behavior (which I admit I know nothing about) it definitely looked like distress. Could it have been that maybe something was in the air? Dust, cleaning agents, teflon cookware? The gasping makes a good case for something like that, and could explain why it hasn't continued to happen, if the same irritant isn't in the air right now. CC will make distressed flock calls if I burn food in the oven and it gets smoky, so maybe this was Pickle's way of telling you he smelled or saw something unusual?

Come to think of it, could it have been fear? Once there was a big centipede near CC's cage and she screamed and screamed until I came and found it. Maybe he saw something that freaked him out and this was his response?

I will keep my fingers crossed for you & Pickle that all the tests come back okay!

Oh, and he is GORGEOUS! Wow! What beautiful definition his feathers have!

tuesdaynight

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Those are good questions. We're very careful with our air quality - no teflon, no candles, no harsh cleaning agents, and air filters running most of the time. However, that's not to say it wasn't something like that.

If it was fear, it was definitely a brand new behavior different from his standard "scared" screech!

SallyQZ

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
I'm glad to hear that Pickle is healthy - that was indeed a scary video! I agree with your thought that maybe something was lodged in crop or throat or something was uncomfortable. Pickle looked distressed and frightened, not hormonal. Good to know that he's healthy and better now! :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
glad to hear that Pickle is doing fine!!

citronlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Relieved to hear that Pickle is doing well and that it's nothing serious! :hug8: I hope that the tests come back clean and that there is nothing wrong

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
pickles is adorable and so very glad all is well...whew

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Erin made a good point. Please let us know how the blood work turns out.

tuesdaynight

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hi Everyone!

Pickle's blood work and gram stain came back normal. That's what we expected based on our conversations with the vet, but it's good to have it confirmed. We've still got our eye and him, and we're attempting to rule out other causes (dust, environment change, etc).

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I am so glad he is okay, but I am so thankful you took him in right away because it's better to go than not when something your not familiar with, or anybody else here had seen happens. Hope you stick around.

Ginger

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Pickle is a cutie!

Status
Not open for further replies.