• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Unusual Behavior Between Crows and Hawks

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
For many years I've fed crows and ravens in my back yard. Many times I see hawk, usually a juvenile trying to get one of the little birds who also feed in my backyard. Numerous times I've watch a flock of crows/ravens chase a hawk out of this small valley. They are not tolerant of a hawk in their territory one little bit.

This morning was different. Seven crows were sitting on the fence above where I feed them - probably pretty full as I had already fed them. While they were sitting there a juvenile Coopers Hawk landed on the garden fence not over 15 feet where the crows were. No reaction from the crows and no reaction from the hawk. After a few minutes the hawk flew from his post to the ground directly below where the crows were sitting. Again no reaction from anyone. Pretty soon the hawk flew over the fence into the feeding area and picked up a couple of cat pellets. Still no reaction from the crows.

The hawk then flew back an sat on his post. A couple of minutes later one of the larger crows came down for a snack. As soon as he hit the ground the hawk flew off his post sand bonked the crow on the head and took off fast with the crow right on his tail. The rest of the crows just looked on. I couldn't see how far the crow chased the hawk, but he was back soon sitting on the fence with the rest of the crows.

I never thought I would see the crows tolerate a hawk and I never though a hawk had enough gumption to land that close to crows - but it happened. Wonder if the hawk will be back tomorrow. Maybe he has gotten a taste for cat pellets.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Strange that you should write this. We have had a beautiful and large Coopers Hawk who has this area as his territory now for a few years. Their sound is unmistakable and quite loud. I heard Hawk calling very loudly for about 10 minutes and assumed he was defending his home. Along comes a group of crown and they started calling just as loudly as the hawk. They a few little song birds chirped in. Could have been a fox they saw but I don't know.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Very interesting. Would love to know if he comes back tomorrow!

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It is quite interesting that you're seeing a change. You'll have to let us know who wins the tussle. In my area the hawks rule the crows. A few months ago hearing a crow scream when the hawk flew into the tree where it was sitting and chased it off is what alerted me to the hawk.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
For many years I've fed crows and ravens in my back yard. Many times I see hawk, usually a juvenile trying to get one of the little birds who also feed in my backyard. Numerous times I've watch a flock of crows/ravens chase a hawk out of this small valley. They are not tolerant of a hawk in their territory one little bit.

This morning was different. Seven crows were sitting on the fence above where I feed them - probably pretty full as I had already fed them. While they were sitting there a juvenile Coopers Hawk landed on the garden fence not over 15 feet where the crows were. No reaction from the crows and no reaction from the hawk. After a few minutes the hawk flew from his post to the ground directly below where the crows were sitting. Again no reaction from anyone. Pretty soon the hawk flew over the fence into the feeding area and picked up a couple of cat pellets. Still no reaction from the crows.

The hawk then flew back an sat on his post. A couple of minutes later one of the larger crows came down for a snack. As soon as he hit the ground the hawk flew off his post sand bonked the crow on the head and took off fast with the crow right on his tail. The rest of the crows just looked on. I couldn't see how far the crow chased the hawk, but he was back soon sitting on the fence with the rest of the crows.

I never thought I would see the crows tolerate a hawk and I never though a hawk had enough gumption to land that close to crows - but it happened. Wonder if the hawk will be back tomorrow. Maybe he has gotten a taste for cat pellets.
Brave bunch you have there. Normally it's war over territory. That said I have heard of crows and hawks sharing the territory provided the food source is plentiful. And when that's the case, they can actually be quite tolerant of each other even give the appearance to be playing together.
When the food source becomes limited and scarce, that's when the fight is on over territory.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
This valley is ruled by the crows and ravens. There are dozens of both, although the ravens haven't come down off the Mogollon rim yet. Not until is gets colder and more snow.

Here is a picture of the Rim. It rises 2,500 feet from the bottom and is a escarpment caused by shifting teutonic plates millions of years ago. I live in this area.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Beautiful place.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That must have been a very young hawk. Perhaps they knew that and that it wasn't really a threat "yet"? Not too many birds will mess with a bunch of crows. They're black for a reason. :D

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Interesting and fun to watch that scenario! I can't believe the hawk dared to bonk the crow! Crows rule here and will harass even the largest of hawks... the red tail. Blue jays here are merciless on hawks too. I usually know a predator is nearby with the mob of jays calling out. You live in a beautiful area!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
This valley is ruled by the crows and ravens. There are dozens of both, although the ravens haven't come down off the Mogollon rim yet. Not until is gets colder and more snow.

Here is a picture of the Rim. It rises 2,500 feet from the bottom and is a escarpment caused by shifting teutonic plates millions of years ago. I live in this area.

I have got to add that place to my bucket list. It's peaceful, and bliss!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
That must have been a very young hawk. Perhaps they knew that and that it wasn't really a threat "yet"? Not too many birds will mess with a bunch of crows. They're black for a reason. :D
Theoretically John, a crow by itself or even a couple of crows is no match for hawk. A hawk can easily take a crow.
I've seen that happen before. But a bunch of crows is a bit annoying for the hawk and they just leave the crows alone.
:fly2::fly2:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The crows came in early to eat today. They didn't stay long - something spooked them and they didn't come back. Someone is shooting at them or hassling them, I'm sure, because the crows are super spooky.

No baby hawk.

Like to catch who ever and bounce a 2x4 off there head, then explain that they should leave my crows alone.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, poor crows! :( Stupid people, too bad the crows can’t gang up on them and act like Alfred Hitchcock birds.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
The crows came in early to eat today. They didn't stay long - something spooked them and they didn't come back. Someone is shooting at them or hassling them, I'm sure, because the crows are super spooky.

No baby hawk.

Like to catch who ever and bounce a 2x4 off there head, then explain that they should leave my crows alone.
Oh god shooting at crows! That takes me back to a memory. Several years back on my uncle's farm down the road they had a trio of teens that would cross over into his land and shoot practically any animal that moved. Out of season!!
They used to shoot Turkey buzzards and hawks and pin them up to the fence. That really really struck a hard nerve in me. DNR would come out but never able to catch them.
They all had a jeep and were gone before anyone could catch up to them.
My uncle being frail, couldn't do it and chase them. So I decided to. Hid out there everyday for a week or so, then one day they popped around to shoot stuff up. I took a chain, wrapped it around axle and other around front of drive shaft.
Lol....they tore drive shaft right off. Vehicle went no where!
And DNR got them!
Let's arm the crows Mary, they are smart birds, they might shoot back! Wouldn't that be a sight! Need a custom 2x4???

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Years ago someone killed a breeding pair of swans that nested in a small pond near our community. Really.. who does that! Likely teens who have no morals or values on beautiful wildlife. Fortunately, a neighbor managed to collect the swan babies and keep them safe. You would have had to go out of your way to harm the parents. There's nothing as majestic as a flying swan. They used to fly over my house frequently and I knew when they were coming by the whistling of their wings. We don't see as many swans as we used to.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Years ago someone killed a breeding pair of swans that nested in a small pond near our community. Really.. who does that! Likely teens who have no morals or values on beautiful wildlife. Fortunately, a neighbor managed to collect the swan babies and keep them safe. You would have had to go out of your way to harm the parents. There's nothing as majestic as a flying swan. They used to fly over my house frequently and I knew when they were coming by the whistling of their wings. We don't see as many swans as we used to.
Swan's are just the beauty of the bird world. Graceful and proud! I have saying Andrea, do unto others as they do into poor Defenseless animals.