• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Untame tiel both scared and relaxed

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
If she hangs on the side of the cage bars like that a lot, it can hurt their feet. So if she is doing that a lot, you want to find the reason. Try putting a short perch there, maybe she wants to see you or look around from that spot.

If hanging out on the bars isn't something she does often , then don't worry about it.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Re: the red spots; you want to watch for shiny pink or reddish spots on the soles of the feet that have lost the natural skin and scale pattern. Those are pressure spots or hot spots and they indicate a problem either with the health of the bird or with the perches. For example, if a cockatiel had all 1/2” diam dowel perches in his cage that would cause a problem because the pressure would be on the exact same spots on the birds feet all the time. That’s one way to get sores in feet.
after the shiny and red hot spots comes skin and tissue breakdown, sores, and bumblefoot (foot infection).

Aestatis

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Her feet look dirty to me. Having clean feet might help a little!

Skittish birds do best with a way to hide and get away. This may be large toys or a bird safe net in the cage they can get behind. Height also equals safety for them.

I do not recommend removing birds from their cage in order to work and tame with them.... IF they don't want to leave their cage! If they're fine with it, that's okay! But if they want to be in or at their cage, it's better to work with them there! And once their confidence builds, then you can start moving them elsewhere.

Likewise, you can always move the cage around your home! Or see about getting a smaller cage to transport around... or maybe a playgym? If they'll get on those instead, they can still have some 'comfort'.
I don't think she minds being out since she seems to like sitting on the threshold of the opening and hanging out. I have been working with her right in front of the cage so when she starts getting antsy I put her back on the door. :D Unfortunately, she does sometime spook and ends up taking off, but I luckily haven't had to towel her or anything to "rescue" her. I like the idea of the using a playstand or a smaller cage to expand her safe zone!

To everyone else, I appreciate the input. I was under the impression that any foot issue = bumblefoot, but it seems like the term refers to an active infection. Hoping the vet visit goes well. If it does, her quarantine will hopefully be up soon!

Aestatis

Avenue Veteran
Hey everyone, wanted to update as promised on the vet visit. I was worried about her being stressed out, especially because the weather has been crazy. But, I was at least feeling optimistic about her feet since I saw improvement after getting a little providine solution on them.

Well, I clearly underestimated her because she handled her first vet visit as well as my tame birds did! She does have a bit of fat and needs to gain some muscle, but she isn't obese or anything super serious right now. Her feet are also on the mend, and the vet agreed that new perches + better nutrition (like @WillowQ said) will get her feet to 100%. :D
Oh, and due to her other tests coming out clear + being in quarantine for so long the vet gave me the official go-ahead to start introducing her to Candela. :bounce3: I know Vista will feel much better being around cockatiels again. Fingers crossed I can continue to build our bond too.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Hey everyone, wanted to update as promised on the vet visit. I was worried about her being stressed out, especially because the weather has been crazy. But, I was at least feeling optimistic about her feet since I saw improvement after getting a little providine solution on them.

Well, I clearly underestimated her because she handled her first vet visit as well as my tame birds did! She does have a bit of fat and needs to gain some muscle, but she isn't obese or anything super serious right now. Her feet are also on the mend, and the vet agreed that new perches + better nutrition (like @WillowQ said) will get her feet to 100%. :D
Oh, and due to her other tests coming out clear + being in quarantine for so long the vet gave me the official go-ahead to start introducing her to Candela. :bounce3: I know Vista will feel much better being around cockatiels again. Fingers crossed I can continue to build our bond too.
Such a lovely update keep us posted and share loads of pictures please

Aestatis

Avenue Veteran
The past few days have flown by, but I think things are going great. I tried to do my best to go at the birds' pace. Vista is definitely more interested in Candela than the other way around, but Candela seems to tolerate her because then she can eat Vista's food and cuddlebone. :rolleyes:

1000001584.jpg
1000001587.jpg
1000001595.jpg
1000001614.jpg
1000001618.jpg

This happened over a couple of days. I didn't see any defensiveness unless one got too close to the other. Vista didn't seem to care that Candela felt free to drink her water or munch on some food, but Candela seemed to know not to overstay her welcome.

Today I moved Vista into the office/bird room. Both seem happy, and I am surprised both seem to go on the other's cages without issue.
1000001680.jpg
2024-01-1221.19.087120709140807833862.jpg
1000001689.jpg

Oh, and I forgot to share this photo of Vista loving this toy:
1000001490.jpg

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I zoomed on your first pic with yummy in hands and Ta-da tried to eat the treats from your pic :laugh: she is in my thumb holding the phone...

Great update and pics! Beautiful birdies :heart:

Aestatis

Avenue Veteran
I zoomed on your first pic with yummy in hands and Ta-da tried to eat the treats from your pic :laugh: she is in my thumb holding the phone...

Great update and pics! Beautiful birdies :heart:
Aw that's so cute! And thank you, I will definitely keep this thread updated as I've never had two tiels at once before.

So far, Vista wants to be as close to Candela as possible. Candela hisses and runs away to me for pets. Now I am trying to convince Vista to leave Candela's cagetop so they can go to bed. :facepalm:

Aestatis

Avenue Veteran
Here is an update. Vista managed to demolish her huge toy already, and is making fast work on the replacement. :roflmao:
1000001740.jpg

Candela is still getting used to Vista's attention. Based on advice by @AW2023 I have stepped in when Candela has started to become stressed. The main issue was if one bird flew off causing a cycle of flying an accidental chasing.

Luckily, things have improved every day with Candela becoming more tolerant and Vista learning to be content with Candela's space. I think the problem is that Vista is dense. Even after a light warning peck she will sit there looking confused :rolleyes:.
1000001720.jpg

Despite the squabbles, both birds happily ate from the same dish for a bit today, even though there was fresh food in both cages.

Even though I haven't done as much 1-on-1 work with Vista she seems to be learning from Candela to be more comfortable with me. Vista will come to my desk or climb on a hand if Candela is close.
1000001728.jpg

...and what's most exciting is that Vista let me give her stritches today! The birds were comfy on opposite shoulders and I noticed Vista put her head down. She seemed like she couldn't get enough. :bliss: Eventually Candela politely chirped for some so I got to experience doing the double scritch with both hands. I continue to be stunned with how Vista will make sudden leaps in trust despite her age and history.

AW2023

Strolling the yard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Annie
Oh I'm so happy for you! I smiled so big when I read about the double shoulder scritches. Those are the best, albeit a little nervewracking (gotta live up to everybody's scritching expectations :laughing2: )

sb sigmund

Strolling the yard
I believe I am seeing big callouses and some bits that look either cracked or somewhat scabby. There is definitely a difference compared to Candela.

It's hard to get a clear photo, but here is one of the feet. The white bit near the bottom is actually a pretty big callous. I feel like the darker bits look suspicious too.

I also attached an updated photo of the current perches. Will definitely replace the dowel with something and get a rope perch of some type.
Sand perches and dowel perches are bad for birds feet. Change them out for rope and natural wood perches

Aestatis

Avenue Veteran
Oh I'm so happy for you! I smiled so big when I read about the double shoulder scritches. Those are the best, albeit a little nervewracking (gotta live up to everybody's scritching expectations :laughing2: )
Yes, I was really nervous that switching the hand that was scritching Vista or noises from Candela (pinfeathers) would scare Vista off! Luckily, Vista didn't move an inch. I was surprised I didn't get a correction from her once.

Sand perches and dowel perches are bad for birds feet. Change them out for rope and natural wood perches
Don't worry, I got some good perches in there now. :) Unfortunately, she has shown some interest in chewing them so probably will replace with sisal.

A small update, but I have obtained photo evidence of scritches:
1000001765.jpg

I was feeling quite happy with my flock of 2, but I had to suddenly take in a budgie from a deceased relative. Feeling a mix of emotions, but right now just focusing on getting a cage for the new gal before anything else.

AW2023

Strolling the yard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Annie
Yes, I was really nervous that switching the hand that was scritching Vista or noises from Candela (pinfeathers) would scare Vista off! Luckily, Vista didn't move an inch. I was surprised I didn't get a correction from her once.

Don't worry, I got some good perches in there now. :) Unfortunately, she has shown some interest in chewing them so probably will replace with sisal.

A small update, but I have obtained photo evidence of scritches:
View attachment 441522

I was feeling quite happy with my flock of 2, but I had to suddenly take in a budgie from a deceased relative. Feeling a mix of emotions, but right now just focusing on getting a cage for the new gal before anything else.
I LOVE the photo. Soooo sweet.
And oh my goodness, I'm so sorry for your loss. This is a lot of change all at once, and I can definitely understand the mix of emotions.
Details on the new budgie? (once you get the time/energy)

Aestatis

Avenue Veteran
I LOVE the photo. Soooo sweet.
And oh my goodness, I'm so sorry for your loss. This is a lot of change all at once, and I can definitely understand the mix of emotions.
Details on the new budgie? (once you get the time/energy)
Thank you, I appreciate the condolences. The budgie is a pet store bird that my relative bought on a whim and unfortunately didn't care for the best, though my mom would make sure the water was clean when she visited. There was some cognitive things going on (illness, not dementia) so I don't think it was intentional neglect. He had the budgie for about a year so I am guessing she is about 1.5 years old.

The budgie is a young female, normal coloration. Not sure on her name so I will have to think of one. Her original cage started to fall apart (think the type where the bottom snaps on) so she was put into a dog carrier. Supposedly this budgie bit the animal shelter person hard enough to draw blood during the transfer! I suspect my relative was a bit overeager in trying to tame her so now she feels she has to bite hard to protect herself. :(

A new cage is on order, so hopefully she will be OK until it can show up. A member strongly advised me to get her out of the carrier so she is in the flimsy emergency cage for now. Just feeling a bit frustrated about another quarantine, where to fit a third cage, changing the flock dynamic, extra cleaning, etc. But, my heart knew it was important for my moral code to take her in. I get a good vibe from her, so I know it is the right choice.

Attachments

Aestatis

Avenue Veteran
I wanted to update the thread since Vista turned 1 year old last week. :starshower:She has let me pet her nearly every day since breaking the switch barrier. On the flip side, she isn't so willing to step on my hand for a treat now. My fault for not keeping up with the training. It's hard when Candela sees the millet and wants to investigate!

Candela still refuses to let Vista touch her, but the gap is closing and they will share food sometimes. :)
1000001810.jpg

20240207_184433.jpg