• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Unexpectedly owned by a Starling

Branwen

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,
I appreciate this forum. I live in Middle TN.
April 16th my neighbor had trees downed. There is a creek between our houses- long story short a few hours after the trees were gone I went outside and heard a bird crying. Not normal baby bird chirps- it sounded distraught and it was coming from the nearly dry creek bed because a Robin was hopping around. And there near it was the crying baby bird.
Now we have dogs, we're Bully breed people- and I never expected I'd be keeping the baby bird I hoped to help.

Based on a chart I found of Robins it was about 8 days old. All fuzz with the start of feathers. Eyes still closed (they opened the next day)

I contacted a wild bird rehabber that said I could bring it to them. I had already looked up what I needed to feed it. It ate and fell asleep in a box with puppy pads. It was screaming its little head off with its mouth open. I sent a photo over and the bird rehabbed immediately scolded me and went on about I needed to have it euthanized, they couldn't talk to me because they could lose their license and Starlings are non-native pests.

So here we are. No intentions of being bird people. Not much room as we are gutting the house we bought and things are out of place all over the house.

There is no way I was going to euthanize it. I could already tell it was beginning to attach itself to me. So now we have a large flight cage and was able to transfer it to the cage on April 25th.

I have so many questions and appreciate having a place I can get them answered.

This photos are from the day I rescued it and yesterday when my college aged daughter was here helping me arrange the perches for it.
It happily sat on her hand.

Attachments

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
No advise sorry but thank you for taking him/her in welcome to world of birds you won’t ever look back looking at this little cutie going to fetch you joy

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month