• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Unexpected Budgie Rescue, any tips?

Aestatis

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
So I'm more of a cockatiel person, but a relative passed away suddenly and now I am in the care of his budgie. This bird came from a chain pet store, and didn't have the best care with said relative. Cage was quite small and "fell apart" so the bird was placed in this carrier by the relatives that were at the deceased relatives place.

Here is a picture before placing food and water:
1000001773.jpg

Based on guides I think this may be a female? What do you think? Cere is a pale blue. Relative had bird for about a year so I'm guessing she is around 1.5 years old?

Budgies were my first birds before I really knew anything about birds. Anything I should know that would be different than caring for cockatiels? I'm getting a new cage ASAP and will be doing tons of reading in the meantime.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Welcome to the Avenue. There are lots of good information on here but I would say at least for a starters if you have dealt with cockatiels you should be able to handle this little guy. What a cutie. Can't wait to hear more about this little one. Have you picked out a cage yet? The Budgie brigade should be able to point you to some great cages if not. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have. Again :welcome2:

Aestatis

Avenue Veteran
Welcome to the Avenue. There are lots of good information on here but I would say at least for a starters if you have dealt with cockatiels you should be able to handle this little guy. What a cutie. Can't wait to hear more about this little one. Have you picked out a cage yet? The Budgie brigade should be able to point you to some great cages if not. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have. Again :welcome2:
Thanks! No cage picked out yet, just cruising Amazon right now hoping there's something nice that won't take too long to show up. I do have a cheap small cage, but since this bird is super fearful (she apparently drew blood from the person that put her in the carrier) I'm trying to avoid multiple cage transfers.

Will check out the Budgie forum for more info for sure. :)

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! Yes, she’s female. Congratulations! I’m not sure how cockatiel care varies from budgie care, having only ever had budgies. Bless you for taking her in! Please get her somewhere else to be - I’m unconvinced that she couldn’t escape from that carrier.

Aestatis

Avenue Veteran
Welcome! Yes, she’s female. Congratulations! I’m not sure how cockatiel care varies from budgie care, having only ever had budgies. Bless you for taking her in! Please get her somewhere else to be - I’m unconvinced that she couldn’t escape from that carrier.
Hi, thanks for the reality check. With your words I worked up the gumption to transfer her to my flimsy emergency cage. The one on order is roomier, and of course will have toys and nicer perches.

She was chirping earlier. I'm not fluent in Budgie, but I hope she isn't missing her old home too much. It was the single chirp you hear budgies make a pet stores.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am sorry for the loss of your relative.
So pleased you have already switched out temp housing- concerned me a bit too seeing her in that carrier.

If you can care for tiels you can care for budgies just as easily. They are fairly similar in needs regarding food, toys, cage bar spacing etc. The main difference I can think of other than the obvious size and looks thing is that budgies are usually a tad more lively and busy (sometimes pushy lol) than the laid back tiels are - awesome little things budgies are especially if they are tame as they will have you in fits of laughter.

Hopefully really soon your new member will settle in and your home will be filled with the non stop chatter of the budgie :)

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
She already looks happier. I think she will settle in nicely, especially when she gets her new cage with more natural perches and some toys. In the meantime, she will get used to you. I am so sorry for your loss but hope that this little girl will brighten your days. Warning though, I have heard that budgies are like potato chips.... you can't stop at one..... :rofl:

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
So sorry for your loss of your family member

:congrats5: On your new addition hope everything goes well

Aestatis

Avenue Veteran
A lot has happened since the last update. Helped grab some items from the relative's apartment. It was not great in there - lots of mouse droppings among other stuff. The bird cage in both size and condition was bad too. As bad as I feel for the budgie the conditions of the apartment meant my family member wasn't in a good spot himself.

Ok now onto positives. Since my last post, the new cage showed up and the budgie is finally settling in after a week.
1000001818.jpg

She has become more comfortable making her sounds when I am in the room. I think she may be mimicking some sounds from her previous home too.

One thing that gets me is how tiny she is. Sometimes I panic because I can't see her when I go in the room.
1000001904.jpg

I definitely plan to get more perches. I just haven't found the right size yet. She also likes to fly back and forth so I don't want to take up space in the middle.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
So glad she is settling in well and I am sorry to hear about the conditions you witnessed- life can be quite tough for some and it is always sad to see how much mess, misery or less pleasant stuff in life some people have to endure.

I also find how tiny they are to be amazing and I often have a little panic that Squeak has escaped lol. I come away from messing about with Burt or Birdie and seriously am constantly amazed at how Squeak has all the same qualities (beak, cute feet, wings, long tail blah blah) as the bigger boys but he is just so mini- his whole body is smaller than Burts head lmao.