• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

underdeveloped/runt cockatiel?

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I don't know his age since he was a rescue, but I've had Skyline for 6.5 years now. My late lovebird was almost the same size as him. :lol:
I see. So precious. I'm actually hoping I'll end up with a rescue. Duckie was a Craigslist "rescue", and I've always wanted to stick with going that way. I'm waiting to hear back from a rescue a few hours away, but it's been quite awhile. Now I'm finding myself at these awful places looking at birds I shouldn't be looking at...

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
They are both adorable, and I love how the little one is looking at you.:heart: Young cockatiels can be very clumsy, and some cockatiels can be very quiet, while others are more vocal. They look okay to me from what I can tell, just a bit picked on maybe in the case of the smaller one.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
They look okay(and super adorable!) to me too. The younger ones feathers are rough but he doesn’t Look unhealthy!

tielluver

Strolling the yard
Real Name
pat pritchard
Oh, both are so cute. The young baby should be close to same size as the 6 month old. I have 3 cockatiel babies that recently turned a year old. The last one hatched 2 and 3 days after 1st 2. I noticed, before they grew all their feathers, that his crop was not as big as that of the other 2, and he was 1/2 the size of them. I put him and "daddy" bird in an extra cage with seeds, water, corn, pellets and millet spray. I closed the cage door, and mom and other 2 babies were in their usual cage, with door closed. We had to go somewhere, got home about 4 hours later. Our little runt's crop was nice and full of food, and I put them back in their regular cage. In a day or 2, he grew to size of the other 2. He would "line up" with his siblings for food, but they were not giving him a chance to get fed by the parents as much. But, after that I guess he figured it out how to get in there by parents to get enough food. And, he has turned out to be very vocal, and was first to fledge. But it did take him 2 more weeks to wean completely than his siblings, but he was eating food by himself, but still wanted to be fed by parents longer. - It could be he may not have been getting enough food or they weaned him too early, possibly to get him to the pet store with the other one, which is terrible Both of them have feathers that look a bit scruffy. I too would want to buy them, to get them out of there. I don't know with him being about 5 months old how much more he will grow. Mine were all the size of their parents before that age, but if you buy him offer him millet spray, pellets, peas, corn along with seeds, good quality. Bulk food is cheaper and fresher if they sell it in your area. And if there is one in your area, take him to a vet. At any rate, even if he doesn't grow much more he will hopefully be healthier and happier. One idea too is maybe talk to the owner or manager of the store and ask him if he would consider a discount if you buy both birds, pointing out how little that one is compared to the other one. I hope things work out for you and the birds.

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
@tielluver Thank you so much for your kind words and advice! I am still thinking over the little one. There was something I noticed when I went in to check on them. The little one went over by the big one and bowed his head down, you know, to get some preening I suppose, and the big one - really aggressively - sort of slashed his beak through the little ones feathers like 2 or 3 times, leading to a couple of them pulling out. So I think the bigger one is rough with the little. Something the shop should have noticed, and had them separated.