• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two of 4 babies Not wanting to wean{Tiels}

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
OK so at first I thought they were just being stubborn

but this is getting outrageous
I've never had cockatiels take this long to wean!

It's the youngest 2 out of the 4, the oldest 2 have been weaned for weeks and the Oldest one went to his new home Earlier this week

the 2nd Oldest is waiting on the Youngest to wean Since they're going to the same home, and they don't live close to come and get the weaned one then come back when the younger one when she weans

But The younger two as of today are 59 and 57 days old the 2nd Born (weaned) is 61 days old and has been weaned at least 2 1/2 weeks already if not a little more

The youngest 2 eat the formula fine and they get full, but still cry to be fed SPECIALLY when some one moves around and they see them! even if their crop is still full

they actually was eating the seeds and pellets about a 2 weeks ago and still taking hand feeding formula (like normal) but then they stopped eating the seed/ pellets and ONLY want formula and they would If I fed them eat 24 hrs a day no matter if their crop is full or not, They only want formula

they're perching fine, Climbing fine, most defiantly flying just fine and have been for a while now.

the guy buying them, I told him several times I will not give a date of when they'll be ready - they wean on their own pace not mine , and he understood that and is fine with that

he came and looked at them the 1st week of September, put the deposit down on them and him and his family have patiently been waiting

I'm starting to feel really bad, Because they've been waiting for over a month. I've never had ones take this long, usually they all wean at the same time or just a few days apart, Not several weeks apart -they are all from the same clutch as well.

and I honestly do not see these 2 Weaning any time soon! This is how stubborn they're being

they're also growing just fine, and just like they should be, its just the weaning that is not going well.

Not sure if there is anything I can do to help them wean, I thought about giving them formula once or Twice a day and maybe oatmeal at their other feeding instead of formula - but wasn't sure if that would do good, or just prolong the weaning process more. ???

they have seeds and Pellets and other foods in their cage at all times - The oldest one I have left(second oldest) eats it and they see her eating (another thing I had hoped would make them start eating the "big kid" food more often.

I just fed them probably 10 minutes ago their crops are Full - I honestly can't give them any more because it'll mess their crop up if I do it's NOT tight right now but if I give any more it sure will be and it's NOT supposed to be filled all the way that the crop becomes tight! and they're sitting on their perch BEGGING to be fed :confused::confused::confused:

Over all they're healthy as horses - its just this darn weaning , I really do think the baby budgies I just pulled last week that are only 30-21 days old(there is a total of 6) will be weaned before these 2 younger tiels

Any Suggestions?

P.S. Their crops empty out like they should so no slow crop, sour crop or anything of that sort.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Sounds like regular baby cockatiels.

From my experience, not saying this is fool proof, but the ones that whine and take the longest to wean are always the females. Out of ALL the babies I have assisted to handfeed and wean and out of the ones I have personally bred and reared, I have noticed females take long to wean. Typically 10-12 weeks. I know the last one I handraised her brother was 8 weeks old when he said IM DONE and never whined or begged for another handfeeding again! The female took 12 weeks, and was done whining for a full week.. and then one day at her new home, she started to whine again. I nearly fainted. But that is the typical for the ones I have helped raise.

Just be patient, offer feedings when they are hungry, keep feeding until they are full, offer seed and pellets and a variety of goodies, offer foot toys that they cannot eat and offer toys they can play with. They'll wean eventually :)

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
These ones are Sex linked - able to sex them soon as they feather had 2 boys(pied) 2 Girls (Dominant silver Pearl pieds) - one of each are the ones not weaning :) The male and Female that are older are the first 2 to wean

I figured they were just being stubborn

But didn't know if maybe they just didn't feel full any more - It used to be they'd eat and be fine, but I figured since they're much older now maybe just the formula isn't doing it, Even though their crops are full maybe they just don't feel full? - - If that makes sense - thats why I was wondering if maybe cooked oatmeal once or twice for a feeding instead of Formula may help them ?

Because they will sit and beg to be fed for at least 20 mins Before they fall asleep and they're Full can't put no more in there for them.

they're playing with their toys as well, They'll play and cry to be fed, they'll swing while crying to be fed lol

the static cries in my room at times is unbearable for Most people (of course not me I've been doing this long enough it doesn't get to me unless they're right in my ear of course lol)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
You can add sunflower seed powder or almond or nut powder to the formula. Many cockatoo breeders do this to help satisfy the 'toos appetite ('toos are known to cry even when they are full, they'd cry and cry and cry).

I wonder if it'll help to also put the babies into a dark container, so they dont see anyone? Like as though they're in a nest? Dark, snuggly, comfy nest?

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I'll try some powder- Can i just Grind up some Sunflower seeds, or Almonds? or is it something i have to buy?

after they've been up for a while, after their midway Feed I cover their cage up in the back where they sleep So they don't see all the movement of this end of the house, But I'll try covering the entire cage instead. and see if that helps more.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I'll try some powder- Can i just Grind up some Sunflower seeds, or Almonds? or is it something i have to buy?

after they've been up for a while, after their midway Feed I cover their cage up in the back where they sleep So they don't see all the movement of this end of the house, But I'll try covering the entire cage instead. and see if that helps more.
The powder helps if you use a syringe, if there are small chunks and you spoon feed, it wont matter :) Its not a 100% thing as the bird may be whining for other reasons other than not feeling full, but if its a hunger thing, it should help :)

Also, are they fledging? I know at 6-7 weeks my little ones would start to fly. I felt that they didnt whine as much if they were ontop of a large cage and able to fly about. They would whine a little, but not too much. Sometimes the whine is a needy thing, they whine because they cant come to you (behind cage bars) but yet they want something from their mommy. It may not be food, but comfort, etc.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Yes they're fledging - they're zooming all around my room, Specially when I open the door and they see FOOD in my hand LOL They fly right to me and land on my arm, hand or They'll over shoot and land on my head or my face and climb up my face LOL

I come in with my dinner They want it , I think they have a fetish with food LMAO

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
Mix some seed with mashed green peas and egg food. I used that combo when I bred canaries and finches.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I know our breeder where we got Sam told us the females always take longer..however, we did at the time, think Sam was a boy...She did regress a bit when we brought her home but I only had to hand feed her a couple of times..she was fine after that.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Thanks I'll give it a try

I mixed some seed and millet dust (the stuff that is in the bottom of the bag when we buy in bulk)into their food earlier didn't seem to make a difference, but it was the 1st time

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
How much are you feeding per feeding?

Many times when I've had cry babies at this age it was a result of an anaaerobic (bacteria that does not need air to thrive, like in the gut) or yeast. What worked well for me within a day or two was a pinch of Ronivet S 6% in each feeding for five days. Within a day or two the babies settled down and stopped crying and were more willing to try and eat on their own between feedings. MAX handfeedings should be 10% body weight and as they start eating on their own start reducing the amount fed by 1cc a day.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I don't know how many CC's it is as I spoon feed I just mix it in a glass bowl. and feed them until it's gone and they are full.. But just from Memory that same amount fills 4 14CC {1/2 Oz} syringes and both younger ones eat the entire bowl between the 2 of them for the last 2 days i've been mixing in finch sized zupreem pellets and Millet dust (the little stuff that falls off the sprays and fills the bottom of the bag) and after I fed them earlier today - I did see the youngest eating a little bit from the seed dish

When i cleaned their cage I decided to give them another dish, this one is filled with Tropicana pellets, Finch Size Fruit blend and Budgie Size Fruit blend Zupreem pellets, the other dish is the seeds, the dish that goes with the cage is both seeds and pellets mixed. the other 2 are glass dishes in the bottom of the cage.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
OK...the best way to measure out the amount to feed since you are using a spoon...is weigh each bird and measure out 10% of body weight in water in a bowl per bird. Then mix the formula. This way you are feeding 10% and should not have any waste. To keep the formula warm place your container in a bowl of warm water.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Thanks I'll do that tomorrow
they ate about a hour ago, and I put them to bed, the cleaned the bowl (almost looked like the dog licked it clean but I know better it never left my hand lol) and they actually went to sleep!

Earlier I did catch the youngest nibbling on some seed So hopefully they just didn't want to wean with their older siblings, and wanted to wait

but I'll do what you suggest in the morning

Quick Question though since i'm not good at math - how do I figure out 10% of their weight?

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
Thanks I'll do that tomorrow
they ate about a hour ago, and I put them to bed, the cleaned the bowl (almost looked like the dog licked it clean but I know better it never left my hand lol) and they actually went to sleep!

Earlier I did catch the youngest nibbling on some seed So hopefully they just didn't want to wean with their older siblings, and wanted to wait

but I'll do what you suggest in the morning

Quick Question though since i'm not good at math - how do I figure out 10% of their weight?
weigh them, and say one weighs 80 grams take that number and multiply it by 0.10 and you get 10% of their weight. and so for an 80 gram bird 10% is 8 grams.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Kelli I have little to add about the weaning "issues" other than to say how happy I am that you are having that family wait it out and not rush these youngsters even if they are being challenging.:rolleyes:

They will be (and already are) very special Tiels I am sure of that. They are related to the Cockatoo after all (explains a lot), maybe they got more of the Too blood in them. lol

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli

weigh them, and say one weighs 80 grams take that number and multiply it by 0.10 and you get 10% of their weight. and so for an 80 gram bird 10% is 8 grams.
So I'd feed them 8CC? if so they already eat more than that LOL in one feeding.

Kelli I have little to add about the weaning "issues" other than to say how happy I am that you are having that family wait it out and not rush these youngsters even if they are being challenging.:rolleyes:

They will be (and already are) very special Tiels I am sure of that. They are related to the Cockatoo after all (explains a lot), maybe they got more of the Too blood in them. lol
Thanks - I do feel so bad But they are fine with it, and they completely understand - which took some stress off me, since the last few people Got hateful about having to wait , but after a while i just blew those hateful ones off!

and I'm sure these ones have a lot of Too' blood in em' LOL as stubborn as they're being

i can't even come in with my own food They want it, and they want it now! i'm like UH you can't even have this go eat your goodies in your bowls lol

I was glad they went right to sleep tonight when i covered them instead of Giving me the static cry from under their sheet for at least 20 mins before finally falling asleep.

but they sure do know when its their time to eat, soon as I open their door they're Ganging up on me landing where every they can on me Trying to get to their bowl of food lol Half the time they skip the spoon and dive right in the bowl :rofl:

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
They sure have loads of personality!:lol:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Yes they do :)

I'll try to get some updated pics of them tomorrow but They make that a bit difficult they won't sit still any more LOL

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
So I'd feed them 8CC? if so they already eat more than that LOL in one feeding.
well I'm no expert.... but there maybe your problem...:p I would reduce the amount you give them and thicken it up each day (add less water and more veggies/pellets to the formula).

They are so sweet as babies though, would love to see some pictures! :D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.