• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two Cages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
As you might remember, my very kind mother purchased a new cage for Archie and Ella this past month that her friend was getting rid of. I LOVE it and so do the birds! But now, the question is...what do I do with the old cage?

I toyed with the idea of getting another bird to fill it, but I have come to the conclusion that I've got my hands plenty full of "large birds" with my two conures, and since the bar spacing is more suited to a larger bird, I just don't think I can do that. (But trust me, I went to the rescues and shelters and spent HOURS with the cockatiels there, I've always loved tiels :). Of course my mother told me to donate the cage, which sounded like a great idea until I realized that there was NO WAY that thing was going to break down and fit into my teeny, tiny Saturn. So I'd have to borrow transportation for it and as its horse show season, the truck is in use basically for the rest of the summer. :shrug:

So now...I'm toying with the idea of setting up the cage out in my dining room area. Its an open space that looks into the kitchen and the upstairs living room, and I was debating about getting it all set up as a "second cage" for the birds. Do you think this is a good idea? I'm still in the process of getting moved into the bird room and setting that up as my "office" area. I just feel bad that the bird's don't have anywhere to really be besides on me when I take them out of the bird room to hang out with me while I do chores around the house. But maybe a cage isn't what I'm looking for, maybe I just want to get a playstand there? No clue what to do with it. It's a very nice cage, been used for less than a year, and is an HQ.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Many people have a 2nd cage aka a play cage :) Although I have playstands throughout the house, I do have one medium size cage in the living room (a 36x26) playtop where there is food and water (I do not put food and water on their playstands) and the birds navigate to the cage to eat and take a rest from play.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Have you posted pics of it yet? I want to see the new cage! :hehe:
And I like the idea of a play cage also.

Tielygirl

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
It would be fine as a play cage, I have one for Meru in our porch as he doesn't get along with the others so it gives him another home to get away from the others part time lol.

You could sell it and get a playstand?

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I don't think I have posted pictures yet! Shame shame! I'll have to scurry home tonight after work and see if I can snap a few :D

So it sounds like a play cage is a good idea? I think I'll do that then, deck it out and that way the birds can have a "home away from home". Gotta tell you though, Hunka Chunka Love Elvis at Tanya's rescue was really tugging on my heartstrings though! :D

I'm thinking I'm going to buy a few stands and try to pass them off as art :D Funtime Birdy stand could be next to the dining room table as a "unique and interesting display of colors and neon plastic".

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would love to see pics of their new cage as well:)

Patrick

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patrick
i say go with playcage!.....and lots of pics!!

I have an extra cage in the garage we use for birdsitting that I've been thinking of bringing in as a playcage. let me know how yours works out

Status
Not open for further replies.