• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trying To Pick A Bird- Help?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Yes, meeting some birds is really the best thing to do. Everyone has different likes/tolerances. Plus each bird is an individual. Just because my cockatiel, for instance, acts one way, doesn't mean another one will. You can also try looking at some you tube videos to get an idea of loudness for a particular species. For instance, I help at a rescue and we have a volunteer that doesn't want to foster GCCs because they don't like the sound they make but another who adores GCCs. It's all up to the individual. Also, you might want to look at craig's list. They often have birds listed. You just have to be careful it's not a scam. All that said, some birds to consider- maybe a canary-winged parakeet? a red-bellied parrot? an African grey? an Indian Ring Neck? (And I know you said you didn't want a tiel, but it's hard to find a bird more easy going than a cockatiel).

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Also baby vs adult makes a big difference. I absolutely refuse to adopt babies anymore. Mature 10+ birds are more in line with my lifestyle and personality

MAM

Meeting neighbors
Welcome to the forum. Yes, meeting some birds is really the best thing to do. Everyone has different likes/tolerances. Plus each bird is an individual. Just because my cockatiel, for instance, acts one way, doesn't mean another one will. You can also try looking at some you tube videos to get an idea of loudness for a particular species. For instance, I help at a rescue and we have a volunteer that doesn't want to foster GCCs because they don't like the sound they make but another who adores GCCs. It's all up to the individual. Also, you might want to look at craig's list. They often have birds listed. You just have to be careful it's not a scam. All that said, some birds to consider- maybe a canary-winged parakeet? a red-bellied parrot? an African grey? an Indian Ring Neck? (And I know you said you didn't want a tiel, but it's hard to find a bird more easy going than a cockatiel).
Thank you! I will check out some vids! And look into those birds! I have been keeping an eye on craigslist but so far nothing.

MAM

Meeting neighbors
Also baby vs adult makes a big difference. I absolutely refuse to adopt babies anymore. Mature 10+ birds are more in line with my lifestyle and personality
I did want a younger bird, just because I thought it might be easier to integrate it into my life. Is this not the case?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I did want a younger bird, just because I thought it might be easier to integrate it into my life. Is this not the case?
It totally depends but my best birds have been mature birds. All my pain in the tush birds have been babies!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Typically, with an older bird you can get an idea of what it's personality is going to be when you adopt him. Babies can change over time. Although, I know there are people on here who have a great bond with their babies too. All my birds have been older. (My youngest was 15 when I got him.) My newest bird (who is 30) is still a bit stand offish. We're working on it. But my others adapted pretty quickly. A lot just depends on the bird.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
We do not integrate birds into our life. Just the opposite. "We" adapt our homes and the way "we" do things to accommodate the bird and what it needs.

MAM

Meeting neighbors
Thanks everyone! This is all super helpful!