• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trying to make friends with my husband's African Grey...

Cali

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Janet
It'd be good for her to switch to a pellet diet if that hasn't happened yet. My grey also loves green beans, and would probably take them over other treats.

Greys can be aloof in general, so I wouldn't worry too much if she doesn't like being pet. Mine only accepts head scratches on rare occasions.

Good luck.

I am trying to introduce her to pellets, yes! So far with mixed results, but we are going strong on veggies!! Thank you :D

IQ's Human

Strolling the yard
Real Name
CJ
Thank you SO much !!!! Things have been going along, much better than they were but no giant breakthroughs just yet. I have a lot of patience (when it comes to birds), so we will just take our time. I am beginning to learn her moods, and she sure has them. Sometimes I can tell she is interested in talking and a treat and other times, her eyes say - leave me alone! - so I do! :heart:

Any and all advice, input is always welcome and appreciated!!! I'll be sure to reach out when something I don't understand pops up!!
I hope you found a little something useful in my observation. And honestly, you are absolutely welcome to pick my grey cells about Greys, anytime. I'll certainly do my best to help.
In the meantime, I just picked up my new 3 month old Congo this afternoon. He's beautiful, and already asserting his independence a bit. This will be a whole new adventure never having had a baby before...hope I can keep up!

Cali

Real Name
Janet
I hope you found a little something useful in my observation. And honestly, you are absolutely welcome to pick my grey cells about Greys, anytime. I'll certainly do my best to help.
In the meantime, I just picked up my new 3 month old Congo this afternoon. He's beautiful, and already asserting his independence a bit. This will be a whole new adventure never having had a baby before...hope I can keep up!

I absolutely did
and I will take you up on the offer, I'm sure!!!

:congrats5:

I look forward to hearing all about your new baby and seeing LOTS of pictures!! :)

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I am trying to introduce her to pellets, yes! So far with mixed results, but we are going strong on veggies!! Thank you :D
Good luck! I know some people are afraid of making the change cold turkey, but it's always worked for me. Birds won't convert if they have access to seed.

Cali

Real Name
Janet
Good luck! I know some people are afraid of making the change cold turkey, but it's always worked for me. Birds won't convert if they have access to seed.

Thanks!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Mine eat pellets, and have some seed mix in afternoon. It's interesting to read others experience

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Mine eat pellets, and have some seed mix in afternoon. It's interesting to read others experience
I’m talking about birds that only ate seed and are going through transition. I’m not talking about birds that have a pellet diet and get seed on occasion or as a small part of their diet.

I’ve given seeds to my birds that reliably eat pellets.

I’ve converted birds that supposedly refused pellets by going cold turkey. Those birds should not get seeds during the transition.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I’m talking about birds that only ate seed and are going through transition. I’m not talking about birds that have a pellet diet and get seed on occasion or as a small part of their diet.

I’ve given seeds to my birds that reliably eat pellets.

I’ve converted birds that supposedly refused pellets by going cold turkey. Those birds should not get seeds during the transition.
It's ok to have different experiences and views and results.
All of my birds came as seed esters. And I didn't have to take away seeds to get them eating pellets. I kinda do by abundance with new foods. Maybe I'm the only weirdo who does it this way , but worked for me .

ernestina6

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ernestina
Hi all,

I've talked about this in other threads, but thought I would give an update in here - where it's more on topic.

I have been trying for years, to make friends with my husband's African Grey [ Her name is Gregols ] .... and she is 28 years old and very bonded to my hubby.

Her old cage, you had to open the front door and half climb inside to change the food bowls and water. So, we finally got a new cage recently, with access to the food / water bowls from outside (swing out doors).

I will take some pictures this weekend - and post.

On Wednesday, she was really cool with me opening the new doors, putting food in and water - she seemed perfectly fine with it. Yesterday and today, not so much!

She pecks at me when I open the food bowl door, and then sometimes she will toss the food out of the bowl onto the floor of the cage after I close it back up. I think she is telling me to get lost. :lol:
Funny thing is, after I leave her alone - she goes back and eats the food. I am trying to broaden her diet, as my husband mostly feeds her seeds. So far, she loves green beans!!

I suspect, I just have to keep trying, always remaining calm and trying not to invade her space any more than necessary --- but any input / advice is welcome!!

View attachment 437441
my husband grey is also the same way, he dislikes me even though i am the one who feeds him, cleans up after him, i think it will take time,but the same time, my female bird doesnt like my husband, i can stick my hand in there and pet her give her some loving, but as soon as my husband birds come close my girl (Cheeto) chases him away, she won't let him bite me...lol... sorry but keep trying, that's all i have been doing for the last 22 years with his bird.

Cali

Real Name
Janet
my husband grey is also the same way, he dislikes me even though i am the one who feeds him, cleans up after him, i think it will take time,but the same time, my female bird doesnt like my husband, i can stick my hand in there and pet her give her some loving, but as soon as my husband birds come close my girl (Cheeto) chases him away, she won't let him bite me...lol... sorry but keep trying, that's all i have been doing for the last 22 years with his bird.

Yes, I do believe it's a journey!!! I'm happy, we've come a long way! Cheeto is a cute name!! Glad she keeps you safe. LOL