• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trying to choose an emotional support bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
If there ever a bird that should have to honor (and respect) of being an ESA...it would be my Milton.
I intend to talk about that when I talk with my psychologist next week...
I'd have to agree w/ the 'cuddler of all time' part... ours joins in verbally when we have a loud 'conversation'... and just buries herself into Steve's neck and arms to console him... She has developed the habit tho of getting loud when we go outside... coming back in... she's screaming... So good and bad.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Just like parrots, every human is an individual. to have a parrot as a service animal you must be able to stay calm and happy around your bird. You must have experience with the bird you want(and not just a little) if you are going to happy and calm around your bird, then I see no problem. But if you won't be able to fight off your anxiety then I would not recommend getting a bird. You also have to think of the future, will you start being anxious even with a bird? Of course you know you and we don't know you. If you are getting a bird I would look for something smaller, a bigger bird might just cause more stress because sometimes they get agressive, just ask @Shezbug. I think a tiel (they are sweet and like head scritches)would work for you, but if you meet a conure that fits your needs then you decide whether you can properly handle it. Remember they can sometimes bite hard and require some more care

restrictio

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, Mimi. I want to share my experiences with ESA animals. I also thought that birds would suit me because I also grew up in a family where parrots and even canaries often lived. I have a very strong anxiety disorder. I can often have panic attacks that affect my mood. My hands often shake. It turned out that when interacting with parrots, I can't calm down. I don't feel tactile contact when I'm just holding a parrot on my shoulder or palm. So I handed my parrot back and took a calm rabbit from https://www.esaregistration.org/. It's a great place to choose any ESA. Maybe a rabbit or a cat will suit you as well as me.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
As an ESA Tyrion my grey is fantastic ..I got him during the worst time in my life and he really helped my focus on him and not myself ..The PTSD was really bad the first 3 yrs of his life but he took my emotions all in stride and made me smile every day and brought joy back into my life ... I feel he really helped my control my PTSD and gave me strength to be a happier person and focus on him instead of my inner demons .. I would say if it wasnt for him I might not be the person I am today ... :)

Joe&Mango

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Joe
As an ESA Tyrion my grey is fantastic ..I got him during the worst time in my life and he really helped my focus on him and not myself ..The PTSD was really bad the first 3 yrs of his life but he took my emotions all in stride and made me smile every day and brought joy back into my life ... I feel he really helped my control my PTSD and gave me strength to be a happier person and focus on him instead of my inner demons .. I would say if it wasnt for him I might not be the person I am today ... :)
Love that!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.