• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trust building/ Training exercises for a hyper baby GCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inheavenlygrass

Walking the driveway
I have a very sweet but very hyper baby GCC named Kiwi. He's 3 months old and we've been together for 2 weeks. He knows "step up" "step down" and "here, Kiwi" where he goes to where my finger is. I'm looking for some trust building/ training exercises we can do together to keep him interested and help burn off some energy. He has clipped wings and anything that requires me to physically move him (like showing him how to roll over) still freaks him out a little since we're still building trust, and if I try to do it he'll become hand shy for a little while afterwards. Any suggestions? I want us to have fun together and laddering gets dull for both of us pretty fast.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I am not an expert, but Kiwi sounds smart if a little young. Everyone has advised me to start clicker training to build trust (and as an activity). We just started in earnest this week. Other things I did were take my GCC into the shower, mist her, and take her to the kitchen counter where we can chop the fruit and veg " together". Also, both my birds like our little morning ritual of getting up one at a time, pooping on command :lol:, then getting weighed. I make a big fuss, and they seem to like it. It's not necessary to weigh every day, but I do it as a bonding activity and chart it which makes for thought provoking musings over their diet.

if you think you might want to try clicker training, there are a bunch of "stickies" as a subtopic under training. Lots of instruction, and feedback from people wanting more clarification. A sticky is just like a saved thread so it won't disappear as it ages.

People also like clicker training not just because you can teach tricks. Because it does help with bonding it can make vet trips safer and a whole host of other benefits. There are also videos out there you can buy, which I did, as it helps me learn when I can see.

Ok, for someone who admittedly doesn't know much, I really dumped on you. Sorry! :omg: Good luck.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Peek a boo is a hands off game. You can run to different parts of the cage and he will have to catch up to you. Teach him the game first. Cover your self. Put cover between the two of you. Keeping low you may be able to cover him. Variation is have "baby go nite nite" under the cover. It won't be as scarey going to the vet.

They imitate so show him something. Dixie cups with a treat underneath...yell "there is is" Exciting game, good food and words he may very well learn to imitate.

Feathered Antics

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Stephanie
First off, i'd recommend you look it to getting an imping done on your little fella'. It is very hard for birds to burn off energy without flight, especially conures that really, really loves to fly and do it a lot when given the chance, and it is very important that they get to learn how to do it when young if they are to live a long and healthy life. :)

There are lot's of things you can train without physically moving the bird. In fact, you should never physically move them to teach them what to do. This way of teaching is called "moulding" and is never recommended by professionals, even though i know there are a lot of youtubers frequently advocating such practices..
There are many other ways to teach things such as rolling over and showing wings without moulding. :)

I would start with some simple and useful behaviors to build a bond and keep him busy. Targeting is simple and very useful. You can also teach him to wave, spin, high five, retreive and many other things all without laying a hand on him. Once you both have gotten some preactice you can move on to teaching him how to get his nails clipped without restraint and many other useful behaviors that will enable you to take care of him without having to use force. :)

I have video up about how you can teach a retreive, though after uploading i realized i am speaking waaay to fast. New to this so i think i was nervous, haha. :)
Either way you can take a look and see if it helps. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIAxhhsqpho

Status
Not open for further replies.