• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trouble with New Bird Pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
I think I should give a little info about the birds I have now so you all have better idea of what I am up against.I have two Conure Parrets One is female one is male . They are not mating but they are paired if I take female out of cage alone he will go nuts . Female is silver head or dusted head not sure and the male is green cheek. There wings are not clipped they were allowed to fly all over the apartment if they wanted. When I came over to pick them up they were very freindly flew right over to my shoulder giving little kews and soft sounds they seemed happy. They even stepped up to my finger no biting. So I bring them home set up there cage all cleaned new food and water I put some new toys in cage some snack sticks. I figured they would be wigged out from the trip and new surrounding so I talked to them softly fed some seed by hand to them.
When I first decided to see if they would step up to finger then to my shoulder (where previous owners said they loved being on shoulders ) first they backed away from finger so I pulled finger back slowly getting the drift . BUT they wanted on my shoulders I could see it in there body language. So I tried again this time both feet on finger and big chunk of finger in there beeks both of them (no blood just a good pinch) . SO i read somewhere here if they bite to blow on them softly hmmm that did not work (anytime I showed a finger it was get finger time). Yes I did react to the pinch with ouch (but man they knew the rite place to bite . I love these birds so this dont bother me a bit. BUT I also read pull sleeve over hand dont show hand and they should step to arm Low and behold walla everytime I said it they leaped onto arm rite up arm to shoulder.
Ok back to biting the green cheek I think is jealous of me not sure you tell me I take female out of cage she sits on shoulder and loves it the male who is green cheek will fly over to my shoulder about 20 seconds later . After about 10 seconds he proceeds to nipping at my neck skin (yes it hurts) then gets the female all nervous till she paces from one side to the other . Finally I have to take a stick and have both step up and off my shoulder to the outside of cage. I am here for the long run with these gorgeous birds but it really looks like I need some urgent help.
Thanks

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
It will now be three days I have spent about 2 hours each day with them.

Naiera

Real Name
Alyssa
I would bet that it will improve with time if they're still adjusting to you, the environment, and their new routine. I feel for you though, I have one bird who can't wait to hop on your hand and another that refuses. If I lower my shoulder for the hand shy one though, she hops right on! We are working on it - I've gotten her to step on to my hand a few times outside of her cage now, but if I put my hand anywhere near her in her cage ... WATCH OUT!! She's a quick one - turns into an attack bird!

If you feel that jealously is a problem, maybe once they get settled in you can try some group training with them? Just easy and simple, that way they both are getting attention and gaining your trust. I'm sure that's easier said than done ;) but might be worth a shot!

patdbunny

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Roz
I start with teaching them to stay off the shoulder. Get the bird(s) onto your hand (with or without sleeve covering) and use the other hand to block the scurry at the elbow. Teach them to stay elbow to hand. And then give it the time you're giving now to let them get used to you and their new environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.