• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trouble with foods

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBirdie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Connie
My little 13 week old Sun Conure doesn't seem to like new foods much.
She loves fresh millet spray, and Avian Maintenance Natural Diet pellets.
I bought some Zupreem weaning diet, that look like little Cheerios and picks them up and nibbles a little them a little and then drops them down to the bottom of her cage and then they fall thru the grates into the litter tray.
I tried carrots, and apples but she put her beak on it and shook her head and acted like it was the worst taste in the world! LOL
I was wondering about something soft like peanut butter? Is that ok to give as a treat once in a while?
Oh she does nibble on an almond and walnut. But will get tired of it quick.

What is your Conure's favorite food, or treat?

Last edited:

dorn27

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kristi
Peanut butter is loaded with fat, so a teeny weeny amount on something is okay, but is shouldn't be often.

We have peanut butter toast for Hatch Days and maybe once a week Sunny gets a dime size piece of bread with a very thin layer of PB on it.

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
With our Suns, it is all in the presentation of the food. Some foods like corn, carrots, apples, are best fed diced into teeny pieces and put in a bowl. Bananas must be fed whole and someone must hold it for them lol They don't like to get their tootsies dirty.

If you're wanting something soft and mushy, how about oatmeal or brown rice. My guys like a strange concoction of mushy brown rice with cinnamon sprinkled in it.

Key is to not give up. Something that was rejected yesterday could become her favorite tomorrow and visa versa.

Tykaysdad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
paul
Tykay is fussy with new foods... i found the best way is for me to eat something and she wants to steal a taste ......

Magic

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
all my conures would much rather eat fruits the little turds so i put in the food prossesser veggies and sneak them in the fruits there fav fruits are black berrys rasberrys blue berrys and apple oh and if i make a birdie bread loaded in fruits and veggies they just shred that alive they love corn

LittleBirdie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Connie
Thanks for the feedback! I have some great tips now! And I do eat many of these things everyday so shouldn't be hard and sounds like I just need to share

Status
Not open for further replies.