• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Triton Toos - diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
I took the plunge and in two days knew why people give up cockatoos. LOL! That being said, I need some help with diet. Gizmo is an 8 year old Triton, I'm his second owner. Had him to the vet yesterday. Got his wings clipped - something I wouldn't normally do but for safety had no choice. The vet gave him a nice check up and said he's in good health just needs to gain 15-25 grams. He weighs 625 right now. She felt that the stress of everything was probably the cause and a good diet would solve the problem. My question is how different is a too's diet from a grey's and/or macaw's. Greys you hold back the fatty nuts and such and the greenwing's need more, things like that. I know the basics with fruits, vegies, grains, and all that but what I need is some species specific diet info for their needs as in fats less or more than you would give say a grey, what about protiens? or any other food types that might be different?

Also want to say Thank You to you John for posting a list of reading material a couple weeks back. It was for someone else looking at a GSC2 but I thought the articles were very helpful in making my own decision to bring Gizmo home especially the one written by Sam Foster on too aggression.

Shyra
www.parrotasylum.com

Attachments

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
A high quality, varied diet will serve most Too's well. Go organic wherever possible. Pellets, high quality parrot mix, veggies, small amount of fruit, cooked sweet potato, rice, whole grain & veggie pasta, legumes, fresh sprouts, birdie breads, nuts, etc.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Last edited:

Terri

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Terri
I use Zupreem Garden Goodness. My SC2 seems to love it. Of course with all the extra fresh stuff as well. Gizmo is adorable :)

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the replies and the info/links.

Okay, so they don't really have any special needs other than wide variety and everything in moderation. I'm really careful that my birds have a good base of healthy foods. I've even gotten a lot better about not giving them the so called "treats". I just want to make sure I don't over do it in one area or deprive him of something he needs in another. Right now I think the different variety he is getting is like candy to him. 95% of his old diet was zupreem fruity pellets. Better than seed so I'm not bashing it.

Thanks again,
Shyra,
www.parrotasylum.com

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
NICE post Shelly, very well said!

The only thing I'd have to say. Cockatoos, if they have any chance to eat seed or nuts, can become VERY finicky birds! BEWARE OF THE SEED! And if on seed they can be very lazy birds too.

With that said, I feed seed and nuts ONLY in their foraging toys. They will not get seed in a food dish or as a treat. They much work for it by either doing behavior training or foraging.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Woo hooo that is a nice size Too.

From what I have heard about Tritons is that they have even bigger personalities....my guess his is large (therefor the clip).

So what has he been like so far?

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
Kristy, I can honestly say I was totally unprepared for him. The first few days were awful, he attacked everyone who came near me or even in the same room. Screamed constantly and the walls would shake every time. My husband threated divorce more than once. He's settling in now and has calmed down. Doesn't seem so angry. (Both husband and Gizmo LOL!) I'm still being careful with family members if Gizmo's out but I am slowly letting them in the room with us just not letting them talk to me or Gizmo outside of his cage. He has stopped trying to attack everyone through the cage bars. Personality wise, he's a blast. He's feeling more comfortable and is teasing the dogs. He yells help help and then when they come running and barking Gizmo will laugh and laugh. He says thank you when you put his food dish in the cage or do things for him. Yells Let me out let me out I love you let me out. When outside of his cage he only wants to be cuddled. I'm trying to get him to spend a little time on the playstand but he seems anxious on it. I'm used to my macaw going through toys very quickly but the same toy that Gandalf goes through in 3-4 days Gizmo goes through in one. It's only been a week so we're not seeing all of his personality yet but what we do see is over the top.

Though Gizmo was a product of divorce and not due to behavioral issues, those first few days explained why so many large toos are given up. It was pretty scary. I only got one good bite and I know he wasn't trying to do a lot of damage - thankfully. I would have never dreamed they could move so quickly. He would be sitting on my arm one second and the next would fly across the room to go after Frank. I don't know if the clip helped settle him down or what the turning point was but the past two days have been like night and day from those first few.

Shyra
www.parrotasylum.com

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
As I've said a million times Shyra. Nothing can prepare you for a TOO. You just have to jump in the deep end of the pool and start swimming!!!

Sounds like you are not sinking and keeping your nose above the water. :D

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
You are sooo right, being on the upset side of any Too let alone a mature 8yr old male Triton can strike fear in most anybody with good reason.

Sure sounds like a HUGE personality there, although sometiems esp at the beginning they try super hard to impress/show off. So you may be seeing his best "strut" but I am sure he will have more. At only 8yrs old this guy has just begun learning.

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
I was kind of hoping that being 8 he would be past a lot of it. Instead from the reading I've been doing 7-8 seems to be the start of some major hormonal behavior with these guys. Such lousy timing for him to have to be rehomed. Right now we're just trying to keep from pushing him and taking things at his pace. Took taking a few steps backwards to understand where the start of that pace was but I think we're on the right track now.

Explain one thing to me if you would please. What's with the rooster strut? When he's on top of his cage he sticks that chest out arms slightly away from his side (like a body builder), crest is in full glory and he struts back and forth on top of his cage very deliberately slightly rotating those shoulders side to side. Is that just showing off, territorial, or aggressive or what??? I can't read the body language yet to tell. Kind of worried about approaching him when he's doing that so usually try to get him laughing or at least change the behavior before I do.

Shyra
www.parrotasylum.com

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
To be honest you may have picked the best time.

In the wild they ditch thier moms and family and the select new friends and partners. Often this is when captive birds switch thier favorite persons. So in reality you probably lucked out with timing in that regard, I am here with my sweetie 4 yr old and I often wonder if he will switch his heart in a few years.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Gizmo is gorgeous!!! So glad you are hanging in there. Enjoy getting to know each other. I'm really glad you have him.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Explain one thing to me if you would please. What's with the rooster strut? When he's on top of his cage he sticks that chest out arms slightly away from his side (like a body builder), crest is in full glory and he struts back and forth on top of his cage very deliberately slightly rotating those shoulders side to side. Is that just showing off, territorial, or aggressive or what??? I can't read the body language yet to tell. Kind of worried about approaching him when he's doing that so usually try to get him laughing or at least change the behavior before I do.

Shyra
www.parrotasylum.com
I recommend never interrupting a man when he is strutting ;) Especially if that man is a male hormonal cockatoo. I can go up to a couple of my 'toos when they are strutting (I trust that that much) but a couple of them I wouldn't.

When he is strutting, let him be :)

Before you think he'll begin this and after he does it, you should try and allow him LOTS of flapping and fly time :) it'll help get rid of excess energy :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
To be honest you may have picked the best time.

In the wild they ditch thier moms and family and the select new friends and partners. Often this is when captive birds switch thier favorite persons. So in reality you probably lucked out with timing in that regard,
I agree. The timing is just when they would be looking for new blood. That would be you guys. :)

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
That's good to know. I hope your right. I don't think I've ever thought about this as being the time they would switch who they are bonded to but it does make sense. Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better.

Shyra
www.parrotasylum.com

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
I recommend never interrupting a man when he is strutting ;)
Good point, I would never suggest that. They are saying something important and to interupt that will bring a wrath you don't want to experience. I try and have respect for thier culture as odd as it sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.