• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Treats for budgies!?

Jisoo

Sprinting down the street
plasic bowls are fine, just clean them more often and i don't recommend plastic ones for water

Jisoo

Sprinting down the street
the nut mix looks a little large for a budgie and nutriberries are pretty good treats, just more sugary. millet is a favorite of budgies and small birds too.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Plastic is an okay option for dry food, like their pellets or some seed mix.

But any kind of moisture on plastic can breed bacteria quickly so for fresh veggies and water Stainless Steel is recommended.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
My two guys won't eat either the nutriberries or the honey seed stick you see around. Millet seed is their treat of choice.

Gizmo

Strolling the yard
Ok thank you everyone for responded so quickly! This has been very helpful!

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Most budgies love millet! Mine will be instant best friends with anyone who offers it by hand!

I somehow managed to trick my budgies into thinking broccoli is a treat too- they go nuts for it!

clarousel

Spray millet is Preeno's favourite. Other stuff he takes to are sesame and sunflower seeds.

He's not so interested in my homemade nutriberries but would sometimes peck at it. You should explore and see what your bird would like :)

A good way is to offer them all and see which they go for first.

Meerkat07

Strolling the yard
My birds adore my homemade seed spheres (weird name i know) more than even millet spray, i guess but millet works for most. apparently you can grow your own millet easily too never tried it though.

Bamboozal

Sitting on the front steps
My birds adore my homemade seed spheres (weird name i know) more than even millet spray, i guess but millet works for most. apparently you can grow your own millet easily too never tried it though.
What is a seed sphere, do you mind posting a pic.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
And a recipe :)

Meerkat07

Strolling the yard
What is a seed sphere, do you mind posting a pic.
Basically one of those diy nutriberry recipes Im pretty sure you can just google it. If you need more help finding the recipe though please reply and ill explain deeper into it.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Stainless steel are the best. They don’t get the scratches plastic gets over time.

nutriberries come in budgie size but I found them to be too large. I crushed them.

Meerkat07

Strolling the yard
@Bamboozal
Recipe for my "Bird Spheres" in case anyone wants to know. BTW when i say spoon i mean tablespoons unless i say teaspoon
2-3 spoons of bird seed
1 spoon of flour
.5 teaspoon of honey
1.5 teaspoons of water

Mix it all together then kind of roll it into shapes if its still really sticky/wet add more seeds. Put it on a microwaveable tray/ plate. A lot of people say you should bake them but it takes way too long so i just microwave them for 30 seconds flip it upside down, and then another 30 seconds (obviously this depends on the size though so change it around to fit your needs). When they're done they should be firm. let them cool for 30-60 mins and then you can give it to your birds.