• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Traveling question

Taylor Zaugg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Taylor
I'm getting an eclectus im 3 weeks and he's a baby being weaned. I spend have my time at my boyfriends house there. Both environments are alike.
Both are laid back and quiet. What are you guys thoughts on me being able
To bring him back and fourth? I'd get him a bird carrier for the 4 minute car ride. And when we are there he won't have a cage he will be out with me watching tv or hanging out. I want to spend as much time with him as possible. I thought maybe if I did this young he would get used to it. I'm over there about 3 times a week. I'd never leave him unattended he'd be around me when he's there. No one else lives there so it's a really quiet environment there.

Taylor Zaugg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Taylor
I'd go over 3-4 times a week for a 5+ hour time span.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I'm no expert on eclectus beheaviour, there are many experts on this site to help you there. But some pointers: -

The baby should love this extra outside time, added stimulation etc.
This moving birds is a high risk activity. Doing it regularly is regular high risk, due to human nature.
If you and your boyfriend are 'occupied' in his apartment, the bird will be occupied destroying it lol

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
My boys have always traveled pretty well. Getting him used to it young will be a benefit - such as going in and out of the travel carrier, etc. Since you'll be using it a lot, if you can afford it, check out Pac-o-bird carriers (POB). They're not cheap but they're awesome and worth the investment. We have 2, spring for the stainless mesh. Anyway, a small plastic dog crate with a handle works, too. You can drill holes if needed to install a perch. Safety-wise, even though it's a short drive, buckling them in is wise. The POBs have that capability.

On the actual transport issue - be aware that they can get carsick. Our Peanut vomited almost every time we got in the car. The other 2 don't seem to be bothered. If he does get nauseous, fresh ginger is said to help. Orientation in the car might help as well, such as placing him with his perch parallel with the length of the car versus him facing front or back. That way the stop/go motion of the car won't have him lurching forward/backward. Also covering him where he can see forward rather than the passing motion of the side windows might help.

When I've traveled, I also use the POB as a sleep cage. These have been trips to see family so just took along a boing, a tabletop stand, etc. I've also used a wire dog crate - the collapsible kind - as a temp cage in a pinch! That works really well but my guys aren't big chewers. If yours is, I'd go for a more appropriate metal. Since you'll be spending significant time at the boyfriend's house, it would be wise to have a contingency plan such as a small cage setup. There are plenty on the market - look at the Poquito Hotel (heavy and awkward to carry but great for a temp cage). Something like that would be good if your travel carrier is not sufficient for prolonged time. You never know when you'll want to run out for some reason and you can't leave him with free reign of the house unsupervised.

Other than accommodations, be sure to consider environmental factors. You're preparing for a parrot so have hopefully eliminated things like candles, teflon pans, air freshener sprays, etc. that are dangerous to them. Make sure your BF's place is also safe!

Congratulations!! Ekkies are fabulous!!

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
What a grwat idea! He will love it.

I take my little guy out in a harness. Have a carrier handy just in case and bring a travel cage for longer trips as they do need time out. Sometimes it's me that needs the time out from constant supervision lol

I do suggest you set up another cage for him so he knows where to go for food and drink plus some time out. Doesn't have to be big.

I agree with @Irishj9 moving birds is dangerous. It takes just a knock on the door or forgetting momentarily. I have had Echo microchiped and working on recoil training just in case.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Rosco loves to travel! Definitely have some sort of carrier available just in case he needs a break from interaction and so he can get some snacks or a drink. I use a medium size wire dog crate when we take Rosco with on trips, and a cat carrier type thing when we're in the car so it's more enclosed. As others have mentioned there's always a risk when traveling with a bird, be mindful of those risks. It should be fun for him though! (is your future kiddo a male? I saw you posted a male but your profile has a female in it...)