• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Trauma to cockatiel head

Soar

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey everyone,

Earlier today my cockatiel got spooked from something and ended up flying frantically until she ended up crashing and I guess hit her head. There is now a tiny bald spot around one eye and a little bit of blood is visible, and there's also a small red spot between her nostrils. Both are shown in the pictures below.

I've already scheduled an appointment with the vet, but some other opinions would be appreciated.

Has anyone had an experience with this before? The bald spot and blood has me worried, and it seems likely to be become of the flying accident. I'm curious to know the likelihood of it being her losing the feathers from a bump, and that it's likely nothing something else like mites or an infection considering I only noticed it after her accident.

Thanks for taking the time to help!

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Not mites. How is she acting? Seems to look pretty alert in the picture.

pawfectly

Walking the driveway
If she is eating and acting alert, she may be OK. Is she clipped?

I ask because Ahmed was clipped severely when he came to me and cannot fly. He also tries to fly when spooked and always crashes into things.

A vet visit would be a good precaution. :)

Soar

Not mites. How is she acting? Seems to look pretty alert in the picture.
That's good to hear. She slept afterwards but came to no surprise considering she had a good bath earlier, and all that flying and stress must have tuckered her out. Afterwards she was acting normal; eating, playing, asking for scritches.

Soar

If she is eating and acting alert, she may be OK. Is she clipped?

I ask because Ahmed was clipped severely when he came to me and cannot fly. He also tries to fly when spooked and always crashes into things.

A vet visit would be a good precaution. :)
She's eating and acting alert. Overall acting normal. She's not clipped, and I personally have no intention of that changing.

The lack of feathers around her eye just has me spooked, as it's something that I've never seen before with any of my birds.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
How long have you had your bird? If recently, have you had him to the vet yet?

Soar

How long have you had your bird? If recently, have you had him to the vet yet?
I've had her for about a year. I've taken her to the vet twice, one for a general checkup last year and another in January for a checkup and blood tests. Everything turned out great.

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Any head trauma can cause concussion. After Simon crashed into a window I picked him up and spoke softly to him while closing the curtains, then we sat quietly while I carefully looked at his pupils for signs of opening/closing over and over. I kept him calm for the rest of the day. The next day we went to the avian vet to check if he was okay. I told her what I had done after the accident. The avian vet said I had done the correct thing.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If she doesn't seem dazed or confused, she's probably fine but seeing a vet of course is always safest. My cockatiel had a couple nasty crashes when he was relearning how to fly but was fine. It's definitely scary when it happens.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My cockatiel, Cappuccino, flies like a champ, but still occasionally freaks out and once in a while crashes because she starts going so fast. She’s a maniac lol. She has nicked her face before, and her feathers grew back. It’s so scary when they do that, but I think your little one will be fine, just keep an eye on her.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope all will be well with your 'tiel. I assume you have been monitoring her. Watch for changes in behavior, changes in balance and head position, lethargy and decreased eating and drinking. Let us know how she is doing.