• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training

mallory

Moving in
Real Name
Mallory
I've been told by several people about how to get my new lennie used to me. Someone told me to just pick them up from the cage forcefully and place them on your shoulder, but I feel like I'm doing more harm than good. My lennie doesn't bite, but I don't think she enjoys being "man-handled" either so I've stopped. What do I do now? how do I get her to trust me enough to fly over or just exit the cage?

alicat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ali
Don't manhandle her. Never ever manhandle her. Who told you that? That's the opposite of bird etiquette.
Talk to her inside her cage, feed her favorite treats through the bars. Go slow. Read books out loud. She'll get used to you slowly and realize your a friend.
Manhandling her just forces yourself on her and will make her scared

Last edited:

Beth In Alaska

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Beth
your instincts are correct. she will take to you faster if she trusts you.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
This is how you "earn" a relationship built on trust and respect. The only two words you need to investigate are "positive reinforcement".

Parrot Trust Account

mallory

Moving in
Real Name
Mallory
Thank you guys, I'll try that. @alicat oh, I see. I hope too much damage hasn't been done since I've only taken her out a few times. The person who told me was at a pet shop