• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training with a syringe

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Hello AA friends,

I need some advice.
Blue’s thyroid might not work properly. We are going to start the treatment in a few days. And if it works he will need it for the rest of his life.
I don’t want to catch him 2 times a day for the rest of his life. So I want to train him to take it from the syringe himself. I thought about a spoon. But I’m afraid he won’t get the right dosage. They are not like dogs that lick it until it shines.

So my question is. If I train with the syringe, what is best to put in it that is safe for training? I’ve used formula in the past. But that is a bit of a pain to make. So apple juice? Anyone other ideas?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I use jarred baby food puree. Sweet potato is a favorite :)

You could also use unsweetened applesauce or a bit of fruit juice.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Coconut water or watered down fruit juice is what I’ve used.
Mango, watermelon, grape are easy to make with a fork from a fresh chunk of fruit or simply use any 100% juice with some water.

flwindsurf

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bill
I'd start training with a syringe of water before moving on to other flavors. I give C4 juice, apple sauce, and baby food sweet potatoes via a syringe but I started training with water.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I'd start training with a syringe of water before moving on to other flavors. I give C4 juice, apple sauce, and baby food sweet potatoes via a syringe but I started training with water.
The whole point to using tasty yummy flavours is to make the syringe more attractive so it will be more readily accepted.

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
We are using some fruit juice right now to make it big reward. His girlfriend is hocked. So I say that is a win! Hopefully he will catch on quickly. I really like the coconut water idea as well