• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training Tips for Screaming?

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
Hey guys! I have been trying to test out some new training methods to work on Fumble's screaming. I understand that macaws scream but I would like to try and minimize it.

For example, when my husband and I are trying to have a conversation whether it be on the phone or in person, she feels that she has to scream every time we talk and this goes for when we are on the phone with anyone else as well. This happens both when she is in the cage and when she is free to fly in the living room.

Another thing we have been working on is trying to minimize her screaming "to be let out of the cage." We don't let her out when she screams but rather wait for her to be quiet and then let her out but we haven't seen too much progress on this.

Any tips?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think the "no attention" is the best method. But it can take days, weeks, depending on the bird to work. So when the bird is screaming it gets no attention/reaction at all. Good or bad. So, you don't look at him. You don't talk to him. You don't leave the room. You don't react at all. Which can be hard. I know when my 'too is in the middle of a screaming fit, I really want to leave the room. LOL. As for the talking on the phone thing, that's harder because your bird wants to participate too, I think. A friend of mine who is a trainer reminds me that you can't fix everything and sometimes you just take the path of least resistance- like taking phone calls in another room if you know the phone is going to set the bird off. So, that's pretty much what I do.

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
Thank you! I think I will continue the no attention method. I wish that we could have normal person-to-person conversations without setting her off but if it cant be helped then it cant be helped.:) Who knows maybe I will find something along the way that will help minimize it or distract her.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you! I think I will continue the no attention method. I wish that we could have normal person-to-person conversations without setting her off but if it cant be helped then it cant be helped.:) Who knows maybe I will find something along the way that will help minimize it or distract her.
And praise/reward him for being quiet. Whenever my 'too is quietly playing in his cage, I tell him what a good boy he is, etc. You want to try to reinforce the good behavior. :)

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
Positive reinforcement for her being quiet is definitely something I need to work on a bit more. Thanks for the help!

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Another thing we have been working on is trying to minimize her screaming "to be let out of the cage." We don't let her out when she screams but rather wait for her to be quiet and then let her out but we haven't seen too much progress on this.
How often does she get out? Is she on a fixed or variable schedule? How often does she scream to be let out before you want her to be out? Does the screaming happen more on certain days or under certain circumstances, like if there is a delay or change in schedule?

It is possible that even though you are waiting for the screaming to stop, she is still associating the initial screaming with being let out later, so she keeps doing it. Ideally, you would want to get ahead of her, so she is out before she feels the need to demand it. Or establish a set routine for out-of-cage time so she gets let out at the same time each day, regardless of her current volume level. Screaming doesn't help or hurt her chances, so there is no direct benefit, beyond the joy of making noise.

At the same time, you can work on rewarding quieter behaviors so hopefully she has fewer outburst overall.

QUOTE="Fumbles, post: 3453758, member: 34121"] For example, when my husband and I are trying to have a conversation whether it be on the phone or in person, she feels that she has to scream every time we talk and this goes for when we are on the phone with anyone else as well. This happens both when she is in the cage and when she is free to fly in the living room.[/QUOTE]

One thing you could try is having a "dummy conversation" with your husband over the phone. Talk into the phone about nothing (it doesn't even need to be connected) while standing within easy reach of Fumbles cage. If she is quiet for a little while, pause the "conversation" to reward her with praise and drop a treat in her bowl, then resume talking. If she starts screaming, turn away from her cage and stop the conversation until she settles down. When she eventually stops, resume your conversation. Keep the initial training sessions short and try to end on a positive note. When she starts catching on and knows what to do to get the treats, you can have longer conversations and extend the length of time between rewards.

The goal is to get Fumbles to be excites to be a quiet girl when you are on the phone. With your husband's help, you could do the same thing with regular conversations. And since it isn't a real phone call or in-person conversation, you can move forward at the right pace for training, instead of trying to talk over a screaming parrot while having an important discussion.

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
Thank you! I would have never thought of that to help with the "conversation" screams! I will try it!

She has a mostly fixed schedule every day with of course the few exceptions where we are away longer than usual. She wakes up around 9:30am and is out of the cage for about two hours (which is usually the time until she gets a bit hyper and I feel she needs a break), then she is in the cage for around 1 to 2 hours, and we continue this pattern of taking her out and putting her back in throughout the day. Not sure if its the most efficient but its what we have been working with. I have noticed that some days she enjoys her cage time and doesnt start screaming until she see's us come into the room or during the later portion of her cage time close to when she is going to be let out. However, there are also days where when we put her in the cage she starts screaming shortly after, especially if she hears someone talking in another room.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Is it possible that she is contact-calling to you?

That's my first thought when someone describes a bird that tends to scream whenever they hear people talking or making noise in other parts of the house. If that's the case, instead of staying quiet to avoid detection and keep from encouraging her "attention-seeking", a simple vocal acknowledgement could help settle her down.

Parrots like to know where their flock is at all times and confirm that everyone is safe. Perhaps she thinks you must have become lost and you need her "help" to find your way back to her. :laugh: By responding to her flock call with your own, you will let her know that you are nearby and doing fine, so she can relax and feel more secure.

Here is an article that describes how to integrate flock calls into your routine in a proactive way:

Is Fumbles usually alone in the room when she starts creaming? Do you have any other birds? Not sure where her cage is in relation to you and your husband or where you spend most of your time - can she usually see or hear a person or other bird from her cage? Does she have any play stands or trees to hang out on when she it out of her cage? When she gets put in her cage, do you usually stay in the same room or leave until it is time to let her out? How large is her cage and what kind of toys or activities does she have available to her inside it? She might be feeling lonely or bored or just likes to hear the sound of her voice sometimes, like most parrots.

There are so many reasons why parrots scream, it can be hard to narrow down to the exact issue when it becomes a real problem. And it might not always be the same cause, even if the results sound the same to our poor ears. Even more frustrating, the best response will depend on the cause - some screams can be safely ignored, while others should be acknowledged, like a flock call, and some screams might signal an underlying problem, like boredom, frustration, or pain, that needs to be addressed before the screaming will resolve.

Sorry about all the questions. I am afraid I don't have large parrot experience, so I am just trying to trouble-shoot a little. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along shortly to offer some practical advice.

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
I am not sure if it is a contact call since those usually sound different from this kind of screaming.
1. She screams whether we are in the room or not and her cage is in the back of the living room. One of us typically spends most of our time there where she can see us, but it varies on who.
2. She is our only bird.
3. She has her own tree with toys, food, and water on it, and a cat tree that she flies to.
4. Usually we stay in the room because its her break time, but if we are leaving the house then, of course, she is alone in there but has the tv on.
5. Her cage is one of the Kings cages double macaw cages without the divider, so roughly 3ft long, 5ft wide, and 6ft tall
6. She has at least 3 toys (usually more) in there at all times which are changed out frequently. She has foraging toys, wooden toys for destruction, bells, etc

Thank you!!

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Hi,
Our princess is a screamer too! But I come to understand the reasons behind it so I’ll tell you hopefully it helps in someway:
1- she screams along when she hears loud voices.
2- she screams less if we make her fly from one point to another so the screaming energy been spent on flying.
3- sometimes she screams if it’s too hot
4- definitely screams if she’s hungry or if she wanted palettes and they weren’t there (even though there are veggies lol)

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
lol she sounds like she has such a personality! Those reasons definitely help though, especially the first one. It's crazy that such little things can set them off :D

Circling

Walking the driveway
Real Name
John
All three at various times:
1. No attention
2. In a parront voice while making eye contact- "no, stop, quit that."
3. Night cover over cage for 15 min. time out. (Don't leave it on very long.)