• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

'Training' Dawson

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
We haven't made much progress on Target Training, I've been taking it slow, but having issues with finding a good target.
So, I adapted the thing Dawson has mastered - jumping on a dowel perch. This isn't ideal, and I want to eventually have him be able to perch on my arm/hand with minimal injury. I also need him to go on my arm because it's easier to get him back into the cage that way, because he can't run all over the perch.
So, what I've been doing is replacing my arm with the dowel perch. I tell him 'step up', if he does so and doesn't bite me (other than to help pull himself up), he gets a treat. I then lower my arm and he steps off, and repeat. We're doing good so far :3.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:highfive:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Chopsticks make a good target. You can also simply use your finger too. I just started training a chicken recently and I am using my finger as a target. Next week I will introduce a mat as a target to stand on.

We haven't made much progress on Target Training, I've been taking it slow, but having issues with finding a good target.
So, I adapted the thing Dawson has mastered - jumping on a dowel perch. This isn't ideal, and I want to eventually have him be able to perch on my arm/hand with minimal injury. I also need him to go on my arm because it's easier to get him back into the cage that way, because he can't run all over the perch.
So, what I've been doing is replacing my arm with the dowel perch. I tell him 'step up', if he does so and doesn't bite me (other than to help pull himself up), he gets a treat. I then lower my arm and he steps off, and repeat. We're doing good so far :3.