• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Towelling and Restraint

'Tielly Tally

Sitting on the front steps
I have three cockatiels. One is missing a leg, and the other two are not. The single legged 'tiel is unafraid of towels, while the other two know exactly what towels do and want nothing to do with them.

In the past, I've towelled them all to give meds to, but it was difficult and scary for everyone involved. I'm always afraid of hurting them, so I leave too much wiggle room and they squirm out or manuver to bite.

Is there a way I can practice toweling that won't be stressful? How do I get better at it without making my birds fear the towel even more? Also, how can I know if I'm holding too tight or improperly?

InTheAir

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Claire
I made a tunnel out of a teatowel and taught my ringnecks to go through it. I started with a really big space for them to fit through, that wasn't very long and gradually made it tighter and longer. When they were happy doing that we changed the criteria to staying in the towel and then letting me hold them in the towel. One of them is more comfortable just being held in a hand, but the other likes the towel better.
Here's my towel hater early on in the training:
and my towel lover:

I think one of Barbara Heidenreich's dvds explains towel training.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

InTheAir

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Claire
Whoops, I'm not very good at this technology thing. .. There was meant to be two different videos there!
This video was the first time I tried towel training Sapphire, and she had been towelled by vet before (against her will). Different birds are different from each other.

Last edited: