• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Took my wolf, Nikita, to Petsmart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Please don't take offence with this question, I mean no disrespect. I see you have a young child in the car. Do they interact with the wolf at all and if so, how. This thread can be a good educational tool for us who have never had opportunity to interact with such an animal. Thanks.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
This is a fear response that he is having. She has a lot of conflict. You could probably do some desensitization and counter conditioning to teach her to be more comfortable with people. She isn't trying to intimidate anyone though, she is fearful those are fear responses. I'm glad you don't force her to do the things that scare her.
her dad is the same way he'll only go up to the owner (my b/f's dad) where as most dogs specially beagles will run up and jump all over new people he backs away and keeps his distance , now his females in the other pen will jump all over you, the Grandma to sheba is a little hesitant at first but once she sees all the other girls getting all loved on she's pushing them out of the way :rofl:

I actually like her being afraid of some things - like the road (even though it didn't come in handy in October but she was overly excited I don't even think she realized she went to the road) and cars and strange people - with her being a more "rare" color (at least for around here) I'm not going to have too much worry about some one stealing her - she wouldn't hold still long enough - and no one is going to take the time to chase her down. and since she only listens to me, my b/f and sometimes my kids She won't stop for no one or sit for no one but us

but being scared of parked non running cars, and trash cans - does become a pain some times lol and since she's afraid of the road (again /still) I can't even go check the mail with her she'll go part way to the front yard then start dragging me. So I either Pick her up check the mail real quick and get back to her "safe" spot and let her wiggling but down Or i go hook her on her dog run long enough to go check the mail

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Each wolf is an individual, just as each dog is. They all have different personalities, different aggression levels, different aggression triggers.

A wolf is more prone to having problems if not raised correctly, and with the wrong owners. As long as a wolf doesn't have a genetic history of aggression, they are completely trainable and sociable, and trustworthy.

If her wolf was people, or dog aggressive, that would be a reason not to take her into petsmart, not to have her around her children etc. But they obviously assessed her temperament and she doesn't have these triggers so she doesn't need to be treated any differently than other dogs. Well, large powerful dogs need to be treated differently than small dogs, but that's really the only difference.

If she is spayed, trained and socialized throughout her life, and always raised in a home environment, trained to respect the house rules, and has strong willed owners, she should not become aggressive or wild as she matures. Genetics play a roll in temperment as well but like I said she's obviously been assessed. Any genetic traits would have shown already.

I myself wouldn't want a wolf. I prefer small dogs anyways. We have a husky, actually it's my fiance's, I don't like huskies at all.
They are stubborn, brickheaded, hard to train, need constant training, wander, shed, hyper, and have a prey drive you just can't train out... ugh :mad:

Vega

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Joni
Gosh, she's beautiful, thank you for sharing the pics!

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
While I commend your care of such an amazing animal I think it is sad, as wolfs are endangered. I know she is captive bred, but I wonder if it is a good idea to perpetuate the desire to have them in captivity. Much like parrots, most do not do well in the care of humans, we are the exception here but that is not the case for most parrots. I fear the same thing happening to our wolves. She is beautiful and I thank you for sharing her stories and pics, so please do not take offense.

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
How very precious a gift you have been given in her. She is fabulous.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

If her wolf was people, or dog aggressive, that would be a reason not to take her into petsmart, not to have her around her children etc. But they obviously assessed her temperament and she doesn't have these triggers so she doesn't need to be treated any differently than other dogs. Well, large powerful dogs need to be treated differently than small dogs, but that's really the only difference.

If she is spayed, trained and socialized throughout her life, and always raised in a home environment, trained to respect the house rules, and has strong willed owners, she should not become aggressive or wild as she matures. Genetics play a roll in temperment as well but like I said she's obviously been assessed. Any genetic traits would have shown already.

I'm sorry, I have to respond to this. This is not true. Wolves are not dogs and they DO need to be treated differently than dogs. They are not domesticated, dogs are. Wolves are no closer to dogs that humans are to chimpanzees. This is a puppy, not even an adult yet which is very different from an adult wolf. There is no way to predict, even with appropriate handling and care what she will be like as an adult. All the pieces are her personality are not necessarily going to be coming out now, as a puppy. She will go through many physical and mental developmental changes as she grows up. Thankfully, Nikita is in a home with someone who understands that being responsible for a wolf is serious business and that their needs are extremely different from pet dogs. Also, Terri recognizes something different in Nikita, but acknowledges that while right now she is different, she could change as she gets older.

Last edited:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Not brave...like I said before, the high percentage wolves we ha e dealt with were aggressive, not trust worthy, unpredictable, etc. We handled them daily and walked them on the property but did would NEVER take them off of our property. There is always the norm...but she is the exception. I can't describe it but Nikita is different. It is always wise to be aware of their capabilities but aknowledge their possibilities.

I still think you're brave. I would be very afraid that someone would spook her because she is at such a critical age in her life. I would be very paranoid about who interacted with her and not being able to control the environment and the people around her would make me nervous. But, that's me, I do behavior consulting, so I work with animal with behavioral issues, so I am very cautious (even paranoid) about creating problems.

I love the last sentence of your post:)

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
I'm sorry, I have to respond to this. This is not true. Wolves are not dogs and they DO need to be treated differently than dogs. They are not domesticated, dogs are. Wolves are no closer to dogs that humans are to chimpanzees. This is a puppy, not even an adult yet which is very different from an adult wolf. There is no way to predict, even with appropriate handling and care what she will be like as an adult. All the pieces are her personality are not necessarily going to be coming out now, as a puppy. She will go through many physical and mental developmental changes as she grows up. Thankfully, Nikita is in a home with someone who understands that being responsible for a wolf is serious business and that their needs are extremely different from pet dogs. Also, Terri recognizes something different in Nikita, but acknowledges that while right now she is different, she could change as she gets older.
I never meant they are like dogs like everyone should own them.
I didn't mean it to sound like that to people. Sorry.
I wasn't trying to imply they need to be handled and trained like dogs, but with proper training and socialization it is completely possible to be able to take one to petsmart without danger. It is completely possible to have one safe with a child.
How old is she?

I had a very good friend with a 100% wolf, 6 year old.
She treated it like a dog other than the diet, she had strict rules and training, treating the wolf like a pack member. She had countless hours of socialization with many humans and many dogs and the wolf remained dog-like well as much as a wolf can.
She had to keep extremely high fences, and could not keep cats etc, due to prey drive. They had 3 other dogs in the household with no fights.

The other hybrids I've seen who well less than model citizens were so because the people had no idea what to do with them, they lived their lives in small runs, and on thick chains attached to dog houses, those were the ones no one but the owners could get near (barely mind you), they had let them become wild due to lack of training and socialization.

So yes they are very difficult to own, take tons of time and effort, you need to start with the right genetics, and they aren't for the faint of heart.

I don't believe wolves should be kept as pets either way. I was just directing that statement toward the person asking why she would take it to petsmart in the first place:rolleyes:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
she is a lovely lovely girl

Terri

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Terri
You all are right. I love the discussions happening here. With animals there are no "rules". They are all individuals and what works for one does not work for another. Nikita is only 9 months but her disposition is definitely showing. Sure things can change but at this age true colors do begin to show.

You do see in the pic that I have two small kids. Our kids were raised around our other two wolves that were more aggressive, etc. and we have instilled the importance that these are wolves and whatever mom and dad tell them to do is for their safety PERIOD! The only interaction they had with the others were from afar...again Nikita is different. They are closer but are not in handling distance. Obviously in my Jeep there is a cage. They are not to pet her etc.

I also agree with not breeding them - I feel the same way about parrots. Nikita will be getting spayed. The fact is people DO breed animals that are meant to be free. Nikita was captive bred - she cannot be releeased, therefore, I make the difference by spaying and giving her a good quality life - much like my cockatoo. This species has issues because they don't belong in a cage. The best I can do is give these animals the best quality lives that is possible in captivity.

Nikita is not a dog, although her behavior is very dog like which is why she is different. I love all you opinions and differences...that is how we learn by seeo g what works for others. I am not offended by anyone except if I am being wrongly judged. My priority as well as most of us here is to give these animals the love they deserve and keep them safe and warm. I welcome the questions and opinions. Thanks for you all being supportive in your own way :)

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Nikita is not a dog, although her behavior is very dog like which is why she is different. I love all you opinions and differences...that is how we learn by seeo g what works for others. I am not offended by anyone except if I am being wrongly judged. My priority as well as most of us here is to give these animals the love they deserve and keep them safe and warm. I welcome the questions and opinions. Thanks for you all being supportive in your own way :)

This sounds like my friends wolf who was also 100%
She's the only one I have seen that was "dog-like" of course I couldn't get close enough to interact with the others Ive met.

She got her as a pup and spayed her way young. I think that made a big difference.I think living in a pack of well trained dogs and going to petsmart or people populated places, at least once a week also made a difference.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
She's amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Wilder

Walking the driveway
Each wolf is an individual, just as each dog is. They all have different personalities, different aggression levels, different aggression triggers.

A wolf is more prone to having problems if not raised correctly, and with the wrong owners. As long as a wolf doesn't have a genetic history of aggression, they are completely trainable and sociable, and trustworthy.

I wish to make the disclaimer that I am not wanting to make issue with you, personally, but with the above statements. Anyone who has worked with wolves and wolfdogs will know outright that this very belief is why so many wolves and wolfdogs end up in shelters, sanctuaries, and very much dead. The sanctuary I worked with has ambassador wolves they take to events so people can see a wolf in person, but it is always, always with the knowledge and understanding that no wolf, or even DOG, is completely trustworthy in every situation.

This is a young animal that has yet to mature, and when she does her personality can be the exact opposite of what it is now. Even the rare exceptions to the usual case of wolves being hard to housebreak, impossible to train, shy and nervous, and likely to eat small pets and children can snap one day, and it has nothing to do with training, whether it is spayed, or what socialization it has -- it has to do with the animal and their hard wiring, if the animal interprets a particular situation in a particular way.

Wolves are not pets and shouldn't be kept as such, and the belief that you can make a wolf or wolfdog act like a goofy golden retriever just by taking it to a pet store and spaying it is a gross misinterpretation of reality. And for me personally, I don't even take my well trained and socialized dogs to pet stores; too many other people don't have the same courtesy about their own dogs, and I got tired of having them come up barking and snarling and trying to bite mine, all while the owner laughs about how "friendly" their dog is. Better ways to spend my afternoon!

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
I wish to make the disclaimer that I am not wanting to make issue with you, personally, but with the above statements. Anyone who has worked with wolves and wolfdogs will know outright that this very belief is why so many wolves and wolfdogs end up in shelters, sanctuaries, and very much dead. The sanctuary I worked with has ambassador wolves they take to events so people can see a wolf in person, but it is always, always with the knowledge and understanding that no wolf, or even DOG, is completely trustworthy in every situation.

This is a young animal that has yet to mature, and when she does her personality can be the exact opposite of what it is now. Even the rare exceptions to the usual case of wolves being hard to housebreak, impossible to train, shy and nervous, and likely to eat small pets and children can snap one day, and it has nothing to do with training, whether it is spayed, or what socialization it has -- it has to do with the animal and their hard wiring, if the animal interprets a particular situation in a particular way.

Wolves are not pets and shouldn't be kept as such, and the belief that you can make a wolf or wolfdog act like a goofy golden retriever just by taking it to a pet store and spaying it is a gross misinterpretation of reality. And for me personally, I don't even take my well trained and socialized dogs to pet stores; too many other people don't have the same courtesy about their own dogs, and I got tired of having them come up barking and snarling and trying to bite mine, all while the owner laughs about how "friendly" their dog is. Better ways to spend my afternoon!
I'm not taking it personally it's okay. All I have are a few personal experiences and only one was good.
You obviously have more experience and knowledge in the field.

Like I said I don't think they should be pets in any circumstances either way. These were just my opinions on what I had witnessed personally and I don't spend my time researching wolves as pets.

ThatDarnBird

Nakita is a beautiful animal! You seem to have the qualifications to manage her. But I have to say I don't really care for the idea of taking her to Petsmart for 2 reasons. 1. Though it may benifit her to be socialized it does advertise Wolves as pets. People are ultimately going to do what they want but I'd rather not give someone the idea in the first place. 2. You may have control of your animal but you cannot assume that other people will have control of theirs. You could easily lose control of the situation and someone could get hurt. This is not something I feel just about your wolf and I do have very mixed feelings about the animals people take in public and the way they manage them. With a wolf and some breeds of dogs the safety margin too small.

I agree with this but Nakita was born in captivity and that can't be changed. She maybe shouldn't have been born a pet but she was and must now be dealt with and given the best life possible for her.

Last edited:

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Nakita is a beautiful animal! You seem to have the qualifications to manage her. But I have to say I don't really care for the idea of taking her to Petsmart for 2 reasons. 1. Though it may benifit her to be socialized it does advertise Wolves as pets. People are ultimately going to do what they want but I'd rather not give someone the idea in the first place. 2. You may have control of your animal but you cannot assume that other people will have control of theirs. You could easily lose control of the situation and someone could get hurt. This is not something I feel just about your wolf and I do have very mixed feelings about the animals people take in public and the way they manage them. With a wolf and some breeds of dogs the safety margin too small.

That is a good observation I didn't even think of that.

Especially if her wolf is a model citizen so well behaved and sweet, people will see this and think it's the norm and wolves make great pets. Which we know is far from true.

I had two shiba inus a while ago and they can make pretty bad pets to alot of people because they are so "wild" I would always tell people they can be pretty difficult and aren't for the novice owner, but the only thing people saw was these cute little foxdogs walking around and of course they were well trained so that added to the multitude of people asking where they can get one.. Of course I couldn't have possibly told everyone who saw them what they are really like.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Terri, what great pictures of Nakita. She is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing her with us and for all the information you are sharing as well. I know nothing about wolves, wolf dogs etc so I am eager to learn. Nakita is blessed to be a part of your family and cared for by experienced and knowledgable (sp) people.

Wilder

Walking the driveway
I agree with this but Nakita was born in captivity and that can't be changed. She maybe shouldn't have been born a pet but she was and must now be dealt with and given the best life possible for her.
Absolutely! There was never a question of that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.