• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Too calm?

Faeandari

Moving in
After looking through the internet and only finding "sign of sickness" I'm gonna ask here.
I got two Parrotlets (Fae and Ari) two weeks ago. They are housed in a big cage. They eat millet and sunflowerseeds from my hand and don't mind me. That's all unfortunately. They are not curious (rather very frightened) when i hang a new toy in. They also have np. Interest in leaving the cage. They are calm all the time and this worries me too. They are active for maybe an hour or two a day. Also they were caged together so i just kept them like that but sometimes they cuddle and other times they bite each other (when one goes next to the other)

Please tell me that them being calm isn't a reason to worry.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If they are eating, drinking, pooping and otherwise look healthy and alert, they are probably just terrified. That being said a wellness check when bringing home new companions is always recommended.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Two weeks really isn't very long for birds to feel comfortable in a new home. It can take months. Just spend time sitting with them, etc and letting them get used to their new home. As for toys, with my cockatiel, I would have to gradually introduce a toy into his cage- put it outside the cage where he could see it for a day or two, then hang on the outside of the cage, then move it inside. And as Mizzely said, a vet check is always a good idea for any new bird.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
If it is fear, consider the size of the cage. I am not sure about your current set up, so it is just a thought. In my experience with parrotlets they take a much longer time to get comfortable in a smaller space. If they can fly in the cage and have an area that is a little more hidden it can help boost their confidence.

Parrotlets get HIGHLY stressed when they feel like a 'fish in a bowl' so to speak.

Edit: What is the footprint of your cage? 600 mm x 900 mm should be the smallest you go.

Last edited:

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
My parrotlet is similar in that she has bursts of high energy playing followed by hours of sitting on her favorite swing just watching the world. That said, when I brought her home I did have a basic blood panel done on her at her initial vet visit like I do with all new birds coming home. There’s a high rate of infected birds (of various illnesses) where I live so I’m extra cautious...just something to think about.

Faeandari

Moving in
If it is fear, consider the size of the cage. I am not sure about your current set up, so it is just a thought. In my experience with parrotlets they take a much longer time to get comfortable in a smaller space. If they can fly in the cage and have an area that is a little more hidden it can help boost their confidence.

Parrotlets get HIGHLY stressed when they feel like a 'fish in a bowl' so to speak.

Edit: What is the footprint of your cage? 600 mm x 900 mm should be the smallest you go.
My cage is 130 cm *50 cm*50 cm approx. They don't fly they don't like to go to the surface (i have bird sand there). They just sit on the branch and are scared of new things and lately started getting more territorial. I am thinking of maybe seperating them and see if it helps them. I feel like Fae (the female) moves around more freely while Ari (the male) doesn't.

Faeandari

Moving in
My parrotlet is similar in that she has bursts of high energy playing followed by hours of sitting on her favorite swing just watching the world. That said, when I brought her home I did have a basic blood panel done on her at her initial vet visit like I do with all new birds coming home. There’s a high rate of infected birds (of various illnesses) where I live so I’m extra cautious...just something to think about.
I bought them from a bird breeder so i thought that they wouldn't sell them sick (or keep them in a room with several ones, bird breeders in Germany need to be licensed) I could check with a vet though. :) thanks!

Faeandari

Moving in
Two weeks really isn't very long for birds to feel comfortable in a new home. It can take months. Just spend time sitting with them, etc and letting them get used to their new home. As for toys, with my cockatiel, I would have to gradually introduce a toy into his cage- put it outside the cage where he could see it for a day or two, then hang on the outside of the cage, then move it inside. And as Mizzely said, a vet check is always a good idea for any new bird.
Good idea! I'm going to try to introduce the toys gradually. Thank you!

Faeandari

Moving in
If they are eating, drinking, pooping and otherwise look healthy and alert, they are probably just terrified. That being said a wellness check when bringing home new companions is always recommended.
Yes they are fine from what I see. Just very... Lazy? Sometimes they don't even react to me holding millet infront of them although they were all right 5 mins earlier and looking around and moving a bit. I'll get them checked :) but thank you so much!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Here's a question for you. (Show us a photo if it makes answering all these questions easier! :D)

Are they able to hide? Like do you have a cuddle toy or just a wide toy they could get behind if they wanted to, or is it fairly open? One of my parrotlet pairs knocked down their biggest toy, and it took me a few days to realize that's why the male was getting into a big bowl every time I came around - he was using it to 'hide' from me. Another one likes to sit with his head in a preening toy like the one below.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Yes please. A photo will help us understand much better! Also I selfishly want to see your little cuties :D