• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Too big of a jump in cage size? Too soon?

Vincent

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I got my budgie about two weeks ago, and I'm now seeing that his 15" x 15" x 22" cage is too small (it measures a little smaller than the advertized dimensions). I'm thinking about moving up to a 25" x 21" x 29". Would such an increase in cage size scare my bird? Before coming home, he was in one of those big aviary endcaps at Petsmart. Since it was only two weeks ago, I'm guessing he wouldn't be very conditioned to his current cage.

Would changing his cage so soon interfere with his settling in, or would the increase in cage size help it?

Vincent

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
My wife thought the current cage was fine and still does, so I'm sure the visual impact of a floor-standing flight cage would be too much. The larger tabletop cage would be an easier sell. I agree that a flight cage would be ideal, and I'll try for that when I think the time is right. In the meantime, I'd be okay with him being in the cage above.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The difference in cage size I think would be more welcome than anything, especially since he hasn't been in the 15x15 for long. I don't think it would be a problem.

truste

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shirley
More space is good, so I don't think it would frighten your bird too badly. Make sure to transfer his old toys and perches to the new one to make him feel at home. You can even try to mimic the layout of the interior to minimize any shock he'd feel.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Put it to her this way, would she rather live in an efficiency apartment or a three bedroom house? That little guy is going to spend a lot of time in there, why not allow the extra space?

moonchild

Avenue Veteran
It shouldn't scare him...I think he'll be thrilled. :)

This is also a good cage: Petco Designer White Finch Flight Cage - Finch Bird Cage and Flight Bird Cage from Petco.com They love having that extra width.

I also like this one a lot, though I would zip-tie the top shut for safety reasons: Petco Designer Green Dome Playtop Parrot Cage at PETCO

Are you sure your wife would be opposed to a floor cage, though? Some have very "pretty" designs, and it would free up counter space (or space on whatever surface the cage is sitting on). Here are some nice-looking ones.

BIRDCAGES4LESS.com: Hana Hut™ Dometop (Make sure you order the one with 1/2" bar spacing though)

BIRDCAGES4LESS.com: Hilo Harbor™ Dometop

BIRDCAGES4LESS.com: Palama Place Playtop Bird Cage

Vincent

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thank you for your replies. I'll get a bigger cage this weekend.

Are you sure your wife would be opposed to a floor cage, though? Some have very "pretty" designs, and it would free up counter space (or space on whatever surface the cage is sitting on). Here are some nice-looking ones.

BIRDCAGES4LESS.com: Hana Hut™ Dometop (Make sure you order the one with 1/2" bar spacing though)

BIRDCAGES4LESS.com: Hilo Harbor™ Dometop

BIRDCAGES4LESS.com: Palama Place Playtop Bird Cage
The topic came up yesterday, and she was pretty clear about it. But now that you've posted those nice cages, the Palama Place could be the one. Thank you for posting it!

kathykeltsy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
kathy
Wow I love the cage set up that Seamma has! I must like a lot of color, here is my budgie's and tiel's cages (sort of) only picture I have handy. They are flight cages and they are great. Got them on Ebay for 100.00 and that included shipping. :laughing12:

Attachments