• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toenail clip gone bad

kathykeltsy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
kathy
I had noticed a couple of weeks ago that my girl Pips needed a clip. But I hate doing it so put it off. She had just started trusting me enough to land on me (she is wild ). But tonight she landed on me and her long nails got caught on my shirt so I caught her and had hubby help me with the clip. But one fought clipped way too short and man did she bleed! I had some of that quick stop and got the bleeding stopped but I feel so awful! Poor baby..... She will never trust me again. I have never hurt her before. Will she learn to forgive me?

newatthistx

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Michele
I'm sure she will forgive soon :o: i know what you mean about hating to do it, I do too because i hate to stress them out and have been putting it off for weeks now ( every night i say tomorrows the day, lol ) and all six of my guys really need it done.....and SOON :eek:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I bet she will forgive you :D

kathykeltsy

Real Name
kathy
I'm sure she will forgive soon :o: i know what you mean about hating to do it, I do too because i hate to stress them out and have been putting it off for weeks now ( every night i say tomorrows the day, lol ) and all six of my guys really need it done.....and SOON :eek:
Are yours tame or wild? Them being wild just adds a whole other level if stress I think :(

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
Have you looked into a Bird on the Rocks flagstone perch? Kiwi never needs a nail trim because hanging out on that perch keeps his nails trimmed.

kathykeltsy

Real Name
kathy
Have you looked into a Bird on the Rocks flagstone perch? Kiwi never needs a nail trim because hanging out on that perch keeps his nails trimmed.
I have two cement-type platform perches that I thought would work for the fids, but I have to say not so much :huh: I will look into the Rocks one. Thanks

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Daisy_G2

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Daisy lets me occasionally file some of her nails down. Make it like a game, and just do a couple a day and you'll be able to keep on top of them.

maddie

Real Name
Malene
I'm sure she will forgive you, just give it some time :)

I let the AV do our birds every 2-3 months - let HER be the bad guy, and we will give them kisses afterwards. They hate having their nails clipped, but she does it quickly and they seem to 'surrender' to her pro touch, whereas if I try, they will fight me wings, claws and talons. They are completely tame, and used to being handled but they sure do NOT like to be held that tight. And with the AV doing the clipping, I can be ready with the Quick Stop or whatever it's called if there's a bit of blood.

Second of all: AV does a bit of a check on them sametime. Are they OK, do they have enough muscle mass, do their feathers look fine, do their eyes look fine, do their beaks look fine inside and outside (she once noted Sally's beak was peeling a bit on the side, nothing serious, but something to keep an eye on) and we're just very happy that she is following Sally and Tequila closely. And now that Sally has a Suprelorin implant, there's even more reason for a check-up now and then.

Our AV is a parrot breeder herself, whereas we are on our very first pair of birds. There's a lot for us to learn.

But she very strongly advises against any sandy perches or other such 'pedicure' products, as they may harm the feet rather than shorten their nails. This may go for tiny lovebird feet only, I am not sure.

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
These are my favorite pedicure perches: Sweet Feet & Beak Safety Pumice Perch Small - PEDICURE PERCHES by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

I have one of these and a BOTR Flagstone perch: 2. Flagstone (2. M) in every cage. Now, Gizmo and Jingo rarely if ever need a clip. But Koopa (Green Cheek), even with these, still needs one every couple of months. I don't have a clue why that is!
I bought one of those for Pete and he freaked. He thought the top part was too slippery, but it's not like he has those huge male amazon feet :rolleyes: MOST birds like them fine though. Rowdy and Merlin will use those or cement perches to groom their own nails. My boy has gotten on his cement one he has now, but I just have to trim his nails.

ashbirdlady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christa
She will forgive you. Offer millet. Most budgies can't resist it and it will help with trust building too.

zuzanqa

Real Name
Zuz
She willforget about the whole incident as soon as you wave some millet in front of her nose :D works for me!

Sapphire Moon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I have a breeder friend who comes to the house about every 4 months or so to trim nails. I do not like to be in the room when he and his son do it because I don't want them to think of me when they remember how scared they were. I am the one who gives them love after the bad men leave them alone, :lol:
I am sure they do forgive but I really hate that day.

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
Don't use Quik stop as it does burn. Keep cornstarch or flour works just as well