• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toe Biting

joel

Checking out the neighborhood
So my predicament is this. Steve my king parrot has an issue with toes. this has developed without provocation and any reasoning. he will be minding his own business or playing on the floor and suddenly he will make a b-line for my feet, biting as hard as he can. My previous bird, A regent parrot or i think in other countries they are known as a rock pebbler used to do this too but not as severe. I just thought i would throw it out there and see if anyone has has this problem with birds or knows any tips to curb the behaviour. Cheers :)

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It is very simple, no floor rights for him!;)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It is very simple, no floor rights for him!;)
And/or no exposed feet. They can only bite your feet if you give them the opportunity.

IME cockatoos quite often have this foot fetish.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo (Quaker) has periods where he does this too! I just have to wear socks for a couple of weeks before he gives up :rolleyes:

dallasd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dallas
my green cheek does this as well. I just wear socks and don't react to her bites. she loves playing chase the foot. no chase no game.

joel

Checking out the neighborhood
hehe if only it were that easy. He is fully flighted so goes where he likes and he still bites through socks. He will do this even when i am on the lounge with my feet up and he is sittng on my legs...all calm, preening then BAM :eek:!! lunges at my toes....i may have to start biting his toes and see how he likes it. ;)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
My Senegal, Sunshine, does not understand my feet are attached to my body. I have to either keep my shoes on when I recline in the birdroom or put on the slippers I keep there to protect my feet as she always tries to remove my socks and peel off my toenails. Then, when I cry out in pain, Sunny is surprised that I can feel the bite. It is just easier to not give her any tender toes to play with. Our bodies must seem huge to them. Afterall, they usually only interact with our head, shoulders, arms and hands. And some birds never really get used to our hands. I had one cockatiel that was fine as long as I was touching him, but if I stopped touching him and then went back and tried to touch him again, he would bite my hand in fear and surprise as if "where did that thing come from?"

As I said, it is just easier to not give Sunny the chance to get to my toes.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well if he bites through socks, move to slippers or shoes.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Kazoo has a habit of flying down off the wall separating the tub from the toilet onto the floor while I am getting ready for work and goes after my feets while wearing socks. Green booger on the floor needless to say he doesn't get to stay there for very long if you know what I mean. :coffeescreen:

PicklesParrot

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Leigh
Literally as Im reading this... Pickles is on the couch on a towel with a huge spread of toys. Tossing them around, talking and growling to them. He gets quiet, runs over and nips my big toe hard. SERIOUSLY PICKLES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Can he read now?? :eek: