• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tips on working with a rescued IRN

IRNluv

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivia
I hope this is the right place to post this. So a little back story: we've had an albino Indian Ring Neck in our family for two years. She's an ever constant companion to my daughter and is so sweet she could rot your teeth. A co-worker of mine met our bird, saw how much we care for her, and asked me if I'd be willing to "rescue" a IRN from her brother.

Enter Shrek... The man's kid was banging on the cage and screaming at the bird when I walked in. According to them, Shrek apparently hasn't left his dirty cage in two yrs until the brother wrestled him out and crammed him into my transport box. Fighting, biting, and screaming all the way. God only knows what Shrek has been through.

He is extremely fearful and savagely aggressive because he's afraid. As long as I stay out of the cage he just sits in the corner, facing the wall. Just a still, silent ball of rage and fear.

I am hoping you all can give me some tips on how to help this guy. I don't want to see him jailed forever. I want him to come out, feel safe, play, and sing that shrill cringe-inducing song of his people.

Thank you for taking the time to read. Any advice is appreciated. 20200702_181022_HDR.jpg

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Thank you so much for getting your bird out of it's situation.
I can say time, lots of it, and patience will help you gain trust.
There are many hear who have had similar battles.
Be patient they will be on and give you more detailed advice.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Like @macawpower58 said, many of us have gone through this battle with a rescued bird. I will just say now that it takes PATIENCE lots of PATIENCE and lots of time. The rewards of bringing a terrorized bird back to a whole and happy life are immense and all of your PATIENCE and time will be well spent.

For right now just leave the bird alone and let it decide that no one is going to torture it. Talk to it softly, sing to it and make no moves to hold or pet it - this bird is terrified and rightly so.

Come back and ask any question and let us know how things are going.

And may the private parts of those people be infested with the fleas of a thousand camels.

IRNluv

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivia
Thank you for the replies. I only reach into his cage to change food and water. I've been leaving the cage door open and walking away. He has stayed in his corner, still silent but he's not staring at the wall now. One positive glimmer of hope, he took a few cheerios from me this morning when I offered it thru bars. I think at first he thought he had bitten off a piece of my finger. He seemed liked he was thinking "HA! I bet that hurt! Now you'll leave me alone!" Once he figured out it was a tasty treat tho he was snatching them at first. He took the last one gently tho. I figured that was a good place to leave things for today.

Attachments

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Awww look at you Shrek in your new loving home! I think hankmacaw is right. Just let him be for the time being. And just like you did, leaving a little treat in his bowl every time you show up is about the best thing you can do right now.

Please keep us updated!
:grouphug3:

IRNluv

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivia
20200703_181050.jpg Some one wants to go meet the new guy but he is definitely not ready for that. She tried to be sweet and flirty from a distance. He made an "I hate you" sound and went back to staring at the wall. Sweetie-bird climbed back up to sit on my chest and pouted. "Its ok sweets. We still love you" what ever he said must have really hurt her feelings because she tried to hide in my shirt lol

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Wow this is gonna be such a change for Shrek to get used to! I really am so happy to hear your paths crossed in a way that meant he got to come live with you.
Poor little marshmallow puff, I hope her feelings were not too hurt and she understands he knows a different treatment and life with humans to what she knows... I am sure they will work it all out given some time. Actually, I am sure you will all work it out and get to a place of understanding. Fear and constant harassment does some awful damage to animals but with love and time most of them get to a point of being able to trust, share and love again.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Um, I'm guessing you didn't quarantine the new bird?
You really should have, for at least several weeks. Birds that are ill hide it well.

If you didn't, keep a close eye on them to be sure everyone stays healthy.

That out of the way, your original bird is a beauty! How can that new green guy not see that. :wideyed:
Give them both time, hopefully they become steadfast friends, but it may take awhile, or it may never happen.

Last edited:

IRNluv

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivia
Um, I'm guessing you didn't quarantine the new bird?
You really should have, for at least several weeks. Birds that are ill hide it well.

If you didn't, keep a close eye on them to be sure everyone stays healthy.

That out of the way, your original bird is a beauty! How can that new green guy not see that. :wideyed:
Give them both time, hopefully they become steadfast friends, but it may take awhile, or it may never happen.
She's only allowed to see him from a distance. We have taken him to a local avian vet. He has some mild vitamin deficiency and is a little underweight but has a clean bill of health other wise. We have no intention of allowing them contact for the next 6months to a year if at all. It will all depend on his ques.

The vet warned us that we had a long road ahead of us. She was busy tho and didn't spend as much time talking with us as I had hoped for. No matter where that road leads us tho, Shrek is home. I didn't take this on thinking he would ever be some little cuddle bug like Sweetie.

I hope one day they at least become civil acquaintances lol. Sweetie-bird thinks EVERYONE loves her so she really seemed perplexed by his reaction. Look at that face! IMG_20200623_134939.jpg

IRNluv

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivia
I've been working with Shrek for 15min at a time every 3 hours or so today. We have him taking treats consistently gently now and (at least for today) he has stopped lunging at me. No attempts made to get him to come to the cage door yet. Thinking that might be next week's goal. All depends on him.

IRNluv

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivia
I got Shrek to move out of the corner this morning! Granted he only moved six inches and went back when the session was over, but this is the first time he has left his corner while we are in the house! I wanted to jump and cheer but we are still being calm and quiet for him. He has been taking treats very gently. In this last session he has been "tasting" my finger tips a few times but didn't bite down.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
You are making amazing progress! :)
Don't be surprised though if there are some setbacks.
All in all, you are doing great, and he's such a pretty guy.

IRNluv

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivia
You are making amazing progress! :)
Don't be surprised though if there are some setbacks.
All in all, you are doing great, and he's such a pretty guy.
I figured he will take steps forward and steps back. This is a big one forward hopefully in a few more months he will let me handle him. Right now I'm just concentrating on positive and rewarded experiences for him. It is wonderful to see him out of the cage. He hasn't left the door but that's ok. He'll move on in his own time.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award