• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tips on Training My Canary Winged Parakeet? Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
First off, let me say that I've had other birds, and have managed to train two parrotlets sharing a cage. They aren't
quite as tame as some singles, but I like them just the way they are.

Anyway, I trained my parrotlets with millet. A sprig of millet allows the bird to come towards you while not coming in direct contact with your hands, and I just used smaller sprigs of millet over time, until they were standing on my hands eating millet. However, my little canary-wing ignores millet and wants sunflower seeds. Right now, I'm dropping the seeds in her cage through the bars into a bowl, and getting her used to me being close by. I just don't know how to take it to the next step with a sunflower seed. Any suggestions?

Thanks. I really appreciate it.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
How about seeing if she will come out onto her cage, or a playstand. Then you just set it down near her, or hand it to her with an open palm. Didn't you just get her?

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
Yes, I just got him/her and since he's fairly calm , I've allowed him to come out a couple of times. However, I regret doing so this soon, because I had to grab him to put him back in the cage and frightened him. Darn. He's still a pretty calm bird, so I am encouraged. He's not crazy wild, if ykwim.

He already has a "fairly" severe wing clip, and still has awesome flight skills. :( Since he's molting and has blood feathers right now, I can't trim any more. I do NOT want to chase him and scare him.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Is it necessary to clip him? Perhaps you might consider leaving him flighted? You might start with teaching him to step up on a perch. Or consider clicker training? Positive reinforcement? I wouldn't push him too much. Let him get accustomed to you. It takes patience. Just sitting by and talking soothingly can go a long way.

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
My other birds are flighted. However, he came to me clipped, and I would have clipped anyway to train him if it were necessary. He's just two feet away from me right now (in his cage) , making cute little chirping noises. :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
It really isn't "necessary" to clip a bird, to teach him things. Better that the bird comes to you willingly, than feels it is being pressured to do things it does not want to do.:hug8:

Addi Kohler

Meeting neighbors
You can make a lot of progress while the bird is in the cage, it just takes patience and consistency. IMO, target training is one of THE best activities you can conduct with your bird after you have conditioned a marker, as it can be conducted while the bird is in the cage, and can be used to get the bird out of the cage, and for countless other behaviors. Once your bird understands the concept, you can use target training as a tool that will allow your bird to gain confidence around your hands while they are in the cage, and from there, you can use the same approach while outside of the cage. Check out the stickies here in the training area about "clicker training" as they should outline the basic approach.

Jen0087

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hmm, maybe make your own treat stick or see if they have something similar with sunflower seeds? Try putting the seeds on a stick with peanut butter? :confused: If your afraid of him flying all over when he is out, you could start in a bathroom so he can't get too far. Just keep the toilet closed ;)

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
Oh, I really like the idea of a treat stick. I think that might give me my first breakthrough.

Thanks so much for that idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.