• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

tips on introducing my lorikeets to each other?

minkylory

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nel
so Ellie (15F) has been in quarantine long enough and I've had Minky (almost 1 unknown gender) and her next to each other in the cage for a little while now. I was wondering if I can take them out together and what to expect? should I worry if they fight? Minky is much more bitey than Ellie so im worried he might pick on her or even injure her. she can't really fly up and away, only down, while Minky can fly very well (her wings had been clipped). just need some advice. thank you :)

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I haven't worked with this species, and I don't know their quirks.

But when I do introductions I do it in a neutral location with enough space to put them about 3 1/2 feet apart with lots of yummy food spread around.

I use my breakfast bar with towels laid down so none slip. I put out lots of their favorites maybe a foot toy or two. I get each bird in a calm relaxed mood, and set them on each side with me in the middle. I keep a long envelope ready to slide infront of anyone who wants to charge. Before I used my hands and this caused a brief fear of hands somehow in my gcc. So the envelope is neutral. If one is acting like that I put them up to try again later.

The goal for me is for them to not be reactive and just to enjoy their treats. If its going good I love on each and keep telling them how good they are. Then I put them up and repeat many times. If they want to approach each other and both seem ok with that I let them. But ready to swoop in. If one is not ready then I pick up the bold one and love on them and tell them they need to give their friend more time, and set them back far apart again. Its very fluid and I give them all the time they need.

Eventually, the way it goes for me, they will just walk around pass each other and nibble on the feast while I pick up one love on them set them back. Sometimes friendships form right away, others take years to develop. But they can all hang out and behave. Because they've learned anyone who doesn't gets the walk of shame back to the cage and locked up for a few minutes. They have a ton of hanging perches , all the outside of their cages have perches and toys and many feed stations, and I have 3 hanging perch play areas . So lots of room to give each other space and no resources guarding.

Warning do not let a free burd climb on a caged birds cage. I put acrylic sheet on top of my cages to prevent toe bites. Also when they are out cags are closed so nobody can get trapped in a cage by another bird.

I've only failed to prevent a scuffle on meeting once. Those two then disliked each other and took a few months of carefully preventing and move away from each other or be put up. They still dont like each other but behave wonderfully. They can both be on me and hang out with a few Warnings of be nice if needed.

The rest I was successful in never allowing a fight. There can be a little beak sparring and posturing as you would observe in wild flocks. But in the beginning I didn't let them get thst close till they had lots of posut
positve experiences of hanging out near each other.

Because I have so many, I also had my flock hang out on me while we set next to the new ones cage.
Just chilling and passing treats to all. Or taking the new and sitting ne t to tge others caged give out treats

minkylory

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nel
I haven't worked with this species, and I don't know their quirks.

But when I do introductions I do it in a neutral location with enough space to put them about 3 1/2 feet apart with lots of yummy food spread around.

I use my breakfast bar with towels laid down so none slip. I put out lots of their favorites maybe a foot toy or two. I get each bird in a calm relaxed mood, and set them on each side with me in the middle. I keep a long envelope ready to slide infront of anyone who wants to charge. Before I used my hands and this caused a brief fear of hands somehow in my gcc. So the envelope is neutral. If one is acting like that I put them up to try again later.

The goal for me is for them to not be reactive and just to enjoy their treats. If its going good I love on each and keep telling them how good they are. Then I put them up and repeat many times. If they want to approach each other and both seem ok with that I let them. But ready to swoop in. If one is not ready then I pick up the bold one and love on them and tell them they need to give their friend more time, and set them back far apart again. Its very fluid and I give them all the time they need.

Eventually, the way it goes for me, they will just walk around pass each other and nibble on the feast while I pick up one love on them set them back. Sometimes friendships form right away, others take years to develop. But they can all hang out and behave. Because they've learned anyone who doesn't gets the walk of shame back to the cage and locked up for a few minutes. They have a ton of hanging perches , all the outside of their cages have perches and toys and many feed stations, and I have 3 hanging perch play areas . So lots of room to give each other space and no resources guarding.

Warning do not let a free burd climb on a caged birds cage. I put acrylic sheet on top of my cages to prevent toe bites. Also when they are out cags are closed so nobody can get trapped in a cage by another bird.

I've only failed to prevent a scuffle on meeting once. Those two then disliked each other and took a few months of carefully preventing and move away from each other or be put up. They still dont like each other but behave wonderfully. They can both be on me and hang out with a few Warnings of be nice if needed.

The rest I was successful in never allowing a fight. There can be a little beak sparring and posturing as you would observe in wild flocks. But in the beginning I didn't let them get thst close till they had lots of posut
positve experiences of hanging out near each other.

Because I have so many, I also had my flock hang out on me while we set next to the new ones cage.
Just chilling and passing treats to all. Or taking the new and sitting ne t to tge others caged give out treats
I had them both out one time and Minky flew at her and she got scared and angry, im just not sure how to have them both be calm. I'll definitely try this though