• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Timneh with a bit of red in its tail?

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
I’m going to take home a Timneh baby soon and it has dark maroon tail feathers , but also some brighter red feathers around the tail area. Not too many just a few . The baby is just 3 months old. Is this a Timneh and Congo mix, or is it normal for. Timneh to have some red in the tail area?

Attachments

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww what a cutie! I've never seen a TAG with the brighter red of a Congo unless they have subspecies with that? Hmm @Shannan any thoughts? Perhaps he could be a hybrid,I'm not as well versed on Greys but his facial features seem a bit different like larger than other TAGs I've seen but I could be completely wrong.
Does your sweetie have a name yet?

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
It is not unheard of for that area of the tail to be a little brighter in a Timneh, especially in that area at the base of the tail. Is it the actual tail feathers that are coming in brighter or is it the small feathers that cover the base of the tail. The other features look very Timneh to me but she (he) seems big for a Timneh. But of course my precious Walter was a very small Timneh. Is your baby sexed? I would lean towards guessing female due to her size. Your baby is absolutely adorable. I am so excited for you!

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
Aww what a cutie! I've never seen a TAG with the brighter red of a Congo unless they have subspecies with that? Hmm @Shannan any thoughts? Perhaps he could be a hybrid,I'm not as well versed on Greys but his facial features seem a bit different like larger than other TAGs I've seen but I could be completely wrong.
Does your sweetie have a name yet?
Dakari, it’s an African name

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
It is not unheard of for that area of the tail to be a little brighter in a Timneh, especially in that area at the base of the tail. Is it the actual tail feathers that are coming in brighter or is it the small feathers that cover the base of the tail. The other features look very Timneh to me but she (he) seems big for a Timneh. But of course my precious Walter was a very small Timneh. Is your baby sexed? I would lean towards guessing female due to her size. Your baby is absolutely adorable. I am so excited for you!
The red is only at the base of the tail and not the tail feathers and he is pretty small competes yo my fender co go I have at home. I would guess 300 grams maybe 350 at most ? Even his feet are much smaller than my Congo female.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
Here you can see compared to the sun conures his size. and if you enlarge the image you can see the tail color better too in the image with the two Sun Conures.

Attachments

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
I love that name! That does not seem out of line with a Timneh then. Walter was a petite 290 grams so very small for a gray. I am so excited for you! They are very smart and loyal. Make sure you introduce him to a lot of people early on as they do tend to be one person birds. Walter was very close to me but very accepting of other people (because as a high schooler when I got him I had to show him off to EVERYBODY)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It is not unheard of for hybrids to be around, although no responsible breeders will breed them so as to keep the ever diminishing bloodlines pure. I can try looking for some pictures, but can not guarantee that I will find any in your bird's stage of development, or that each one will look the same.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
The red is only at the base of the tail and not the tail feathers and he is pretty small compared to my female CAG I have at home. I would guess 300 grams maybe 350 at most ? Even his feet are much smaller than my Congo female.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Beautiful :cool:

Karearea

Meeting neighbors
Howdy! I agree, this is most likely a pure timneh. Here's a picture of pure TAG babies, and a hybrid CAG +TAG. 1688127844605.png
1688127817007.png

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Go to love baby pics :cool: