• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Times are a changin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Peace as we have known it has taken a change. Dexter, my handsome boy, who will never have the ability to fly, has learned a new trick. First let me say he has an open door policy as far as his cage is concerned. He comes out and gets on his playstand that is right at his cage door and spends his day on it and his cage. Going in and out and walking all over his cage, etc. The only time his cage is closed is if we are not home.
Well twice now I have come up from being on the computer or woken up from a nap and there he is ••••• footin it around the living room floor! He thinks he is one smart cookie. So I watched him today by hiding behind my basement door. He climbs to the side of his cage, grabs ahold of the cage legs and slides down them like a firemens pole.
Now, I have to be on constant watch! My dogs that I have now, run from the birds but due to past experience I just cannot trust them. I am also concerned he may go over to Sammy's cage and try to climb it. He is very leary of Sammy though. What am I going to do with this boy?! No rest for the weary.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
can you put pvc pipe around the legs so he can't get any type of grip on it?

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I'm looking forward to suggestions as my birds do this too; I can't use the seed guards because they take up too much room.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My seed guards were left behind by accident when we moved. I don't think the PVC would work because the legs are curved. Hmmm...

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Oh I know the feeling! Emmett has learned how Petrie gets down and walks around and now he's exploring too. I have no clue what to tell you though because Dexter is out in the living room so it's not like you can block him from coming out.

LuvMyBirds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Saroj seems to find endless uses for frisbees's. How about a hole in the middle of a frisbee and slide it up the leg til flush with the bottom?

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
ooh that's a neat idea!

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
can you put pvc pipe around the legs so he can't get any type of grip on it?
He will learn how to....Tango shimmys up and down 2 ft of PVC pipe on his playstand whenever he wants. Sorry, I have no suggestions as I have the same problem with my red-tailed fiend. :)

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow, that frisbie idea may just work! Thanks!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's all in the design of the stand. Any stand with 4 legs that are flush with the corners will be able to be climbed down. If the stand has a much wider surface than the legs as in a pedestal type design, the bird can't reach the legs to climb down. That is how those Hagan perch stands are designed.

For a cage you need to make a big flat platform so the legs are located a good 8-10 inches in from the edge of the platform. The bird can get to the edge of the platform but can't reach far enough underneath to the legs.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Tika can't get down to the floor from this corner because of the design of the Hagan stand.

You could always hang the cage from the ceing with chains and eliminate the stand completely.

Attachments

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In this old house the cage would pull the ceiling down due to it's size. The cage has the standard 4 legs but the are bowed outward and down. Not straight down. I wish I had my seed catchers for this cage. I am sure I can orger replacements but they do take up alot of room.

Rebecca in Israel

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Rebecca
Wow, that frisbie idea may just work! Thanks!
I think I may use some frisbees as feeding dishes, or maybe set one or two down and fill with water for the sparrows to swim in! Judy its been way back since you know when that I have seen a picture of Sammy, or Dexter! Please post at least one for me!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
a real little escape artist smartie pants..

Meeting neighbors
Our grey kept climing off her cage soooo...we put the seed guards on AND..she just climbs right over them and slides her way down to the floor. I wouldnt spend the $ on the seed guards. We have yet to find anything to prevent this. When she knows we have spotted her in the act she does turn around and go back up. Good Luck with that! :lol:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Greys are so smart and intelligent! They spend their days working out new ways of getting to things or doing things they are not supposed to (think that is the main attraction) and then they have this tunnel vision that just won't leave go. Even if you get them interested in something new they will remember to go back and solve the first problem.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Parrots are the worst kind of kids. :D

kneel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
kneel
If a Grey wants something, or wants to get somewhere.........

IT WILL.

:cool1:

Lotsa Birds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sandy
My CAG Shadow can't play on his playtop because he just slides down the cage, on to the floor and can get aggressive when he is on the floor or under his cage (which I've found can be the norm for some male CAG's). I can get him but it takes some coaxing and reading his body language, but my kids and dogs aren't safe when he is on the floor. He now has a macaw cage that goes almost to the floor. He couldn't go to the floor on his old cage, but it was way too small for him, so we deal with it.
My male ekkie used to slide down his metal playstand and run the floor also. I ended up getting 3 playstands (bottlebrush, grapevine and a pvc stand) that I've used for a while now. None of my birds can slide down any of these stands, and it makes life much easier.
Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.