• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tiels mutation/gender

lichphanto

Sitting on the front steps
Hello , those are the two tiels that I got last week , they are still in the small cage because I still didn't find any way to transform them into the big cage since they are still scared of me and they didn't even go out of the door

I have been wondering what are their mutation ? is the grey one have the normal grey mutation and the other is pearl ? the grey looks a little different from other tiels that I usually see even the normal grey, his beak is also different and so is his look in general so I was wondering what she/he is .

also the owner told me that both are females but it seems to me he wasn't so sure about the grey , I noticed that the grey is more active in the first two days when i got them and more vocal ( although now he seems more calm like the other one) and because of his look I suspected that he can be a male (he also have ring band in his right leg and the other one doesn't have any), how can I know for sure his gender ?

the owner also said that they are 3 months old but I'm doubting that they are actually more than that , they look older to me , or they can be around 3 months?

Attachments

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with both of your guesses on their color mutations.
As for their age, that can be hard to determine but I’d say they’re definitely under six months as they still have big baby eyes.

One way to determine gender would be to wait until after the molt and get their adult colors.
If the pearl turns out to be male, it will loose its pearl color, though, there are occasionally male pearls, it’s just uncommon.
Males are usually brighter in color, males will have solid black/solid grey undersides of their tail feathers while females will have gray and yellow banding.
Behavior is also a good indicator, males are usually louder, but again, there are loud females.
A bird doing heart wings is usually a male indicator.

The most accurate way to tell is to do a DNA test if you don’t want to wait for them to molt. Your avian vet will do this via a blood test.

lichphanto

I agree with both of your guesses on their color mutations.
As for their age, that can be hard to determine but I’d say they’re definitely under six months as they still have big baby eyes.

One way to determine gender would be to wait until after the molt and get their adult colors.
If the pearl turns out to be male, it will loose its pearl color, though, there are occasionally male pearls, it’s just uncommon.
Males are usually brighter in color, males will have solid black/solid grey undersides of their tail feathers while females will have gray and yellow banding.
Behavior is also a good indicator, males are usually louder, but again, there are loud females.
A bird doing heart wings is usually a male indicator.

The most accurate way to tell is to do a DNA test if you don’t want to wait for them to molt. Your avian vet will do this via a blood test.
and the way they bond together can tell if they are male/female or female/female ?

for now they seems to spend time together well and i noticed once that the grey is preening the pearl's head but sometimes it happens that they fight over food or place , even though there is two bowls but they often go to the same one , it's probably because of the small cage and the fact that i couldn't transform them to their big cage yet but is this small beak fight that sometimes happens is something that i need to worry about ? I'm afraid they would hurt each other

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
and the way they bond together can tell if they are male/female or female/female ?
Males and females or females/females can bond just as closely.

for now they seems to spend time together well and i noticed once that the grey is preening the pearl's head but sometimes it happens that they fight over food or place , even though there is two bowls but they often go to the same one , it's probably because of the small cage and the fact that i couldn't transform them to their big cage yet but is this small beak fight that sometimes happens is something that i need to worry about ? I'm afraid they would hurt each other
Sometimes my tiels beak wrestle a little and this is perfectly normal.
If they do it a lot, it may be because of limited space or resources.
If they’re fighting constantly I would get a second cage so they can have their own stuff/food/toys etc.

lichphanto

Males and females or females/females can bond just as closely.

Sometimes my tiels beak wrestle a little and this is perfectly normal.
If they do it a lot, it may be because of limited space or resources.
If they’re fighting constantly I would get a second cage so they can have their own stuff/food/toys etc.
Not really constantly , just from time to time when one of them come to where the second eat or resting , it's just that more often they choose to follow each others and ends up with beak fighting

I could transfer one to second cage or both to a big cage which will have lot more space and each will have his own space and all but the problem I still till now can't get them outside of this small cage even though I tried many methods but they just seems to not interested to go through the open door and they are still scared of me if I put my hand